Old 14th March 2016, 09:11 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
You a Near Dark man then Dem 😂
Definitely.

Got to admit i haven't seen it for a few years though.
Old 14th March 2016, 09:13 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Definitely.

Got to admit i haven't seen it for a few years though.
Ditto on both points!
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 14th March 2016, 09:38 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Darklands (1996)

Craig Fairbrass takes on the Edward Woodward role in this Welsh take on the classic 1973 film The Wicker Man.

Whilst on the same lines, the film also takes a huge swig from the glass marked Rosemary's Baby, yet also manages to maintain an edge of originality as well.

Set in the industrial Welsh heartlands, the film has that same feeling of unease and mystery as the Robin Hardy film but the clank of machinery and the pounding techno soundtrack takes the viewer to a different realm. The pagan blood rituals coming across like a Front Line Assembly gig than a sensual religious ceremony. Unlike the unwitting Sgt Howie, Fairbrass's reporter is more likely to have to fight his way out of dodgy gypsy camps rather than worry about whether Britt Ekland is writhing away on the other side of his wall.

When all's said and done Darklands probably knocked the image of Wales back 150 years, but on the whole i rather like it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Darklands-dvd-cover.jpg (86.5 KB, 4 views)
Old 14th March 2016, 09:39 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Definitely.

Got to admit i haven't seen it for a few years though. eep:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Ditto on both points!
I must admit i don't get the whole Lost Boys vs. Near Dark thing, both great films but very different.
Old 14th March 2016, 10:29 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
I must admit i don't get the whole Lost Boys vs. Near Dark thing, both great films but very different.
It started on here as a sort of joke which escalated into a mild rivalry, which saw the inception of the below thread, which instigated a full-blown war. Needless to say that the superior film (Near Dark!) won though.

The LOST BOYS VS NEAR DARK ARENA
Old 14th March 2016, 11:12 PM
Cult Addict

Delta Force

A group of terrorists led by Robert Forster in fake tan Hijack an aircraft. Being the 80s they're islamic radicals with a shady agenda. Once it seems like things are really going wrong Delta force are called in to save the day, led by Chuck Norris and Lee Marvin!
An amalgam of events culled from real life terrorist atrocities of the time, Delta Force spends two thirds of its time as an action film by way of films like Earthquake and Airport with an all star cast cropping up throughout including the late, great George Kennedy, Bo Svenson and Martin Balsam. Once it gets to the final act it all goes a little nuts and any pretence the the film is aiming at being a realistic & gritty action drama goes out the window as we have motorbikes shooting rockets and a body count close to a war crime. As daft as is all is its lots of fun and worth a watch. Still better than navy seals!

The other side of the door.

Well, my local isn't bothering showing either Hail Caesar or The witch preffering to dedicate its screens to Dads Army and Grimsby. However they were showing this so I decided to give it a go. Basically an American couple living in India lose their child, the mother who is grief stricken is told of a temple where the living can communicate with the dead. She is warned not to open the door under any circumstances. Naturally this being a horror film she doesn't listen and then weird stuff begins to happen.
I went into this with my expectations lowered. Its looked like it might end up a collection of false scares set up in exchange for atmosphere however it's turned out to be a better film than I had anticipated. Its not perfect and sometimes it loses the courage of its convictions and falls back on cheap scares, however it still does manage to create an unsettling atmosphere and while people familiar with ghost stories will see what's happening it does actually deliver something a little new with the Hindu mythology. Overall I'd suggest its worth giving this a shot if you get the chance.
Old 15th March 2016, 08:30 AM
Cult Veteran

I watch The Lost Boys every year, it's one of my all time favourites! Probably due to the fact that when it came out on video I was close enough to 15 to be able to rent it while Near Dark was an 18 so I never saw that one until much later.

I like both, but Lost Boys for me is one of the best 80's movies.
Rik, keirarts, trebor8273 and 1 others like this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 15th March 2016, 11:16 AM
Cult Veteran

A Triple Threat of some awesome films I've watched over the last 2 days!

Once (2006)

I thought this would be a nice Sunday afternoon romance for me, thats what the cover art promised me, but it was actually a very 'real' account of a busker trying to get his life back on track with the help of a Czech immigrant he meets on the street. The songs were great and the filming style which was pretty much Lars von Trier really worked for me.

Straight Outta Compton (2015)

I remember the Rodney King thing happening and found it terrifying, in my naivety (aged 14) I thought perhaps that there would be riots in the streets of Merseyside...
That time in LA is something else, how people got through their day is unbelievable.
This review is probably slightly biased towards positiveness because music biopics are among my all time favourite genres, but seriously this film is great!
It starts in 1986 with all of the 5 guys coming together doing gigs, getting a deal, exploding with the 'youth' and getting so massive that it was only a matter of time before it all implodes. What follows is the fallout and attempted redemption before a quite tragic ending!

**** 1/2

Stand By Me (1986)

Coming of age movies about young boys don't come much better than this one.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 15th March 2016, 12:09 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Cujo (1983)

Extremely annoying Stephen King adaptation that forsakes King's original downbeat finale to give the audience a feelgood factor.

Dee Wallace does okay as the mother trapped inside a broken down car with her young son by a rabid St Bernard dog, although some of her decision making was terrible making the film very frustrating.

Her son, who cried and screamed constantly, was a complete irritation and i just wished him doggy dins during the films second half.

An excruciatingly dull opening half hour and a lack of tension throughout made Cujo a total dogs dinner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cujo.jpg (54.4 KB, 3 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!