LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th April 2016, 07:00 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
The Lobster

Colin Farrell plays a chubby singleton who is shipped off to a resort to find a partner. It's the 'near future' aka tomorrow and everyone is required to have a partner. At the resort, if you can't find a partner then you get turned into the animal of your choice. Farrell has chosen a lobster as they live to 100 and have blue blood like the upper class. The atmosphere at the hotel is weird to say the least with some unusual rules including having your hand burned in a toaster for masturbation. After a terrible attempt at a relationship with a psychopath fails, Farrell cheeses it into the woods to live with the 'loners' people hunted by the residents of the hotel who have sworn off relationships and have equally draconian rules about anyone who deviates from the rules. This causes problems when he falls for one of the loners, played by Rachel Weisz.
As weird as it sounds the experience of actually watching the film is stranger. The performances all appear deliberately stilted and forced. The dialogue is at times frank and bizarre. The tone feels more bleak than whimsical and just when you are enjoying it as a strange comedy the film throws in something disturbing. Its probably going to rub some people the wrong way but I really enjoyed this. I must admit I also enjoyed the directors previous film Dogtooth as well. Its worth checking out before you buy it if possible but its a really great little film.
I enjoyed Dogtooth and this sounds like my kind of film. I've added it to my Love Film rental list.
Old 13th April 2016, 07:00 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Ive looked at the lobster several times and wondered if to watch it or not but now ive been sold, thanks
Justin101 and keirarts like this.
Old 13th April 2016, 07:17 AM
Cult Veteran

The Lobster sounds good to me!
keirarts likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 13th April 2016, 10:03 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
The Lobster sounds good to me!
I like lobster. In a rich creamy sauce. Not a smart move Colin.
Old 13th April 2016, 10:14 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I like lobster. In a rich creamy sauce. Not a smart move Colin.
No sauce, just a nice garlic butter while still hot. Maybe an 8oz rump steak alongside. Surf and turf. Mmm.
Old 13th April 2016, 10:19 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
No sauce, just a nice garlic butter while still hot. Maybe an 8oz rump steak alongside. Surf and turf. Mmm.
I had a surf and turf again about a month ago at a nearby pub and the steak was tough and gristly which totally ruined it.
Old 13th April 2016, 10:20 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I had a surf and turf again about a month ago at a nearby pub and the steak was tough and gristly which totally ruined it.
There was a really nice pub not far from us did an excellent steak and lobster surf and turf a few years back. Become a beefeater now and has the usual generic menu.
Old 13th April 2016, 10:26 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

You can't go wrong with a nice bit of surf and turf.
keirarts likes this.
Old 13th April 2016, 12:12 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Mixed bag again.
Adult World (2013, Scott Coffey)
A rather unwordly student bulldozes her way into her hero's life. Think quirky rather than Swimfan haha. Was a pleasant diversion from my diet of filth and 80s spume due to my predilection for doe eyed women. Unlike....

#Horror (2016, Tara Subkoff)
Conceptual cinema. Archetypes. Timothy Hutton. Like a very pooooooooooooor version of a Blue Jam sketch, I found myself thinking "why are you watching this?". And not in any Happiness kind of way either. Apparently a satire....unlike

The Green Inferno (2015, Eli Roth)
Chile looks lovely. The score tries to emulate a certain period. Lorenza Izzo has pretty eyes. Apparently a horror film......

Sid And Nancy (1986, Alex Cox)
With Cox comm. If, maaaaybe he had simply put " a rock and roll fable" like the mighty Streets Of Fire, then maaaaaybe this film wouldn't have such a poor reputation. Spotting Perry Benson was a laugh. Apparently about real people.......

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 13th April 2016, 01:09 PM
Cult Veteran

Adult World is the one with Emma Roberts in it? I keep meaning to watch that, it's on Prime Movies at the moment.
keirarts likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Like this? Share it using the links below!