Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree178799Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th February 2010, 04:50 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

The Designated Victim

When Django meets Russell Brand it can only mean one thing: moider!

This is a first rate thriller and I found myself getting cross that I had never seen it before. Sure the premise reminds of Highsmith/Chandler/Hitchcock's Strangers On A Train, but beyond this initial premise The Designated Victim goes its own way, and what a way it is! The film is quite beautiful to look at - all lovely vivid, saturated Mod colours and designs one minute then grey, misty, imposing buildings the next - the performances are just superb - especialy trusty ol' Tomas Millian as the stooge and the excellent Pierre Clémenti as the nutter - and the tale is enthralling. The picture drags you in and I got quite involved in Augenti's plight as it progressed.

First rate stuff. Thank you Shameless! Now I must see more of Maurizio Lucidi's work...any recommendations? Did he do anything else of comparable quality?
Old 9th February 2010, 04:57 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
[B]

Now I must see more of Maurizio Lucidi's work...any recommendations? Did he do anything else of comparable quality?
I have never seen it, but Lucidi directed the Ursular Andress film Stateline Motel, which I think is either a crime film or a giallo, or niether! (I'm sure someone will know).

It was released on dvd over here a few years ago (supposedly of poor quality though):

STATE.jpg

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 9th February 2010, 05:04 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by loops View Post
I have never seen it, but Lucidi directed the Ursular Andress film Stateline Motel, which I think is either a crime film or a giallo, or niether! (I'm sure someone will know).

It was released on dvd over here a few years ago (supposedly of poor quality though):

Attachment 4502
Thanks, Loops. That version sounds far too hacked up and badly sourced to comptemplate what Amazon want for it...maybe if it was a quid or something!
Old 9th February 2010, 05:56 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
That version sounds far too hacked up and badly sourced to comptemplate what Amazon want for it...maybe if it was a quid or something!
Stateline Motel is a messy film anyway. Two Bond girls plus Eli Wallach and even then they couldn't get it right.

I'm no fan of Lucidi but Nosferatu In Venice is worth tracking down. Not a patch on Nosferatu but Kinski & Chris Plummer are great (as is the atmospheric production). Other than that The Sicilian Cross is moderately enjoyable, if only for Roger Moore and Stacy Keach (plus some great 70's funk).
Old 10th February 2010, 04:17 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
I'm no fan of Lucidi but Nosferatu In Venice is worth tracking down.
I used to have that on VHS. I thought I was the only person who liked it!

Was it not made by Augusto Camanito though? Mind you, I did notice Camanito seemed to be a production partner of Lucidi on The Designated Victim...
Old 10th February 2010, 10:58 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Was it not made by Augusto Camanito though?
Officially Camanito directed it. Unofficially it was co-directed by Lucidi, Luigi Cozzi and even Klaus Kinski.
Old 10th February 2010, 11:37 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
Officially Camanito directed it. Unofficially it was co-directed by Lucidi, Luigi Cozzi and even Klaus Kinski.
Cripes!

Old 10th February 2010, 11:37 PM
Ex-member

Default 'What films have you seen recently?'‏

Just watched DEATH WISH 2
The best of the series
I have 12 & 3
But the first sequel is the most violent compared to the the other two

Just read Anchor Bay are going to release NIGHTMARES IN A DAMAGED BRAIN, but typical it's the pre-cut version
I have the uncut dvd-r but Code Red have no chance of releasing a special edition
Old 11th February 2010, 12:56 AM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Morton View Post
Just watched DEATH WISH 2
The best of the series
I have 12 & 3
But the first sequel is the most violent compared to the the other two

Just read Anchor Bay are going to release NIGHTMARES IN A DAMAGED BRAIN, but typical it's the pre-cut version
I have the uncut dvd-r but Code Red have no chance of releasing a special edition
Code Red have been sayin they will for 2 years now but I guess they wont ever do it if there has been no news in the last 12 months.
Are you sure you did not miss read something, as Anchor Bay released he precut R US cut already in the UK as part of the Boxed of the Banned a few years ago?

My DVD Collection
Tumblr

Last edited by nekromantik; 11th February 2010 at 01:15 AM.
Old 11th February 2010, 01:37 AM
Ex-member

Default 'What films have you seen recently?'‏

I read the info wrongly given by a poster on another website
Then on another website I also read a guy from the BBFC said if submitted nowadays the film should be uncut...So they say
It's all crazy so why not submit?
Legal rights etc...who knows
I'm happy with my uncut dvd-r of NIGHTMARE which I bought from Fleshwoundvideo.com

Like this? Share it using the links below!