Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree178798Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th February 2010, 04:14 AM
Cult Acolyte

They Live

Watched this the other day after not having seen it for ages and thoroughly enjoyed it.This movie is just as relevant today as it was back in 1988 with the rich getting richer with the help of invisible to the naked eye alien ghouls who are set on using up the planet's resources, and the poor getting poorer.Society is kept in check by being held in a state of docility and through hidden subliminal messages.The casting is great with Roddy Piper & Keith David extremely likeable in the lead roles.The fight sequence between the two of them is terrific as Piper tries to force David to wear the glasses that will enable him to see the alternate reality of the alien invaders.Great stuff!

Last edited by Vampix; 18th February 2010 at 03:55 PM.
Old 11th February 2010, 08:32 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampix View Post
They Live

Watched this the other day after not having seen it for ages and thoroughly enjoyed it.This movie is just as relevant today as it was back in 1988 with the rich getting richer, with the help of invisible to the naked eye alien ghouls who are set on using up the planet's resources, and the poor getting poorer.Society is kept in check by being held in a state of docility and through hidden subliminal messages.The casting is great with Roddy Piper & Keith David extremely likeable in the lead roles.The fight sequence between the two of them is terrific as Piper tries to force David to wear the glasses that will enable him to see the alternate reality of the alien invaders.Great stuff!
I watched this for the first time last week and absolutely loved it. I didn't know what it was about before I watched it which made the whole film that much more enjoyable.
Check out this awesome T-Shirt for it. I think I might pick one up

http://www.fright-rags.com/obey-p-38.html

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 11th February 2010, 11:03 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Watched The Wolfman last night, very, very average movie. del Toro phones his performance in and Hopkins manages to switch his accent from English to Welsh and to sounds Irish through out - Hugo Weaving is the standout and the CGI is too heavy. It also rips off American Werewolf in London... sort of an 1800's redux of the finale.
Old 11th February 2010, 11:24 AM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Morton View Post
Then on another website I also read a guy from the BBFC said if submitted nowadays the film should be uncut...So they say
More likely to be legal rights etc. The BBFC would have passed the full version uncut a few years ago if it had been submitted and it would definitely still have no problems today.

They haven't seen the full version since 1982.
Old 11th February 2010, 01:25 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Ban The Sadist Videos Part 2 - Solid documentary. Can't say I learned anything new, but the recap was nice.

Terminator 2: Judgement Day - I should have posted this in last action film, but I was here anyway. Watching this again just makes me realise how much better (Despite the brilliant effects in this one.) the first film actually is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ban The Sadist Videos.jpg (3.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg T2.jpg (7.6 KB, 1 views)

My style? .........You could call it the art of fighting without fighting!
Old 11th February 2010, 04:41 PM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Watched a little Spanish horror film from the seventies last night - The Witches Mountain. It was OK, I guess, not much really happened and it was certainly quite strange. Not bad, but not great either. I'd give it a 1.5/5 - perhaps if the quality of the DVD was better, my mind would be very different.

Also saw a great little film for the first time the night before, but I won't say which since I'll post up a proper review of it on Sunday. It's quite a criminally unknown film really.
Old 11th February 2010, 08:01 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

although not techinically horror, but does have a horror icon in it, i currently working my way through the original Survivors series with Ian McColluch, im not actually watching it with him like he was sat next to me, but he's in it. just finished episode 8 of series 1 and im quite liking it, although at the moment im prefering season 2 of the remake series a bit more although they should never of had the whole conspiracy back story.....lame.
Old 11th February 2010, 09:44 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Jailhouse Wardress

A dull, boring Eurocine re-edit of Jess Franco's Barbed Wire Doll's with newly shot footage of Franco regular Pamela Stanford mostly lounging around her cell and occasionally having sex. The inserts where directed by the guy who made Cannibal Terror are just as bad, if not worse than, that film.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter

Last edited by Pete; 12th February 2010 at 01:53 AM.
Old 11th February 2010, 11:13 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Just seen Cabin Fever 2 and it was quite bad, Ti West disowns the movie as they changed things and he didnt get to make it how he wanted it and it shows why he disowns it.
Had some cool gore effects tho

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 12th February 2010, 01:00 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Jack Ketchum's The Girl Next Door

Er...wow. I thought the book was powerful! The film is superb but often hard to watch. Powerful and brutal. The performances are astonishing. What a film. Left me feeling like I'd been hollowed out with a sledgehammer.

That it is based on the real Silvia Likens case is what makes this more shockingly resonant than the likes of Martyrs (great and moving though that film is!).

Gosh.

Like this? Share it using the links below!