Like Tree179676Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th July 2016, 05:50 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
Ghostbusters - the new one. Really enjoyed it - was funny and engaging and has a really nice feelgood quality to it. Not all the jokes land but it's so much more rewarding than the trailers suggested
Interesting. This is probably the only (even remotely) positive thing I've read about this since it was announced!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
The Neon Demon - Breath-takingly beautiful, admirably superficial and yet surprisingly full of subtext. NWR proves to be an absolute master of genre manipulation and exploitation, and boy can he fill a frame with all sorts of wonderful things to look at. Shocking, darkly humourous, unforgettable and indebted to all the greats - Bava, Argento, Lynch - an incredible piece of work.
I was already ridiculously psyched to see this one... now even more so.
Old 12th July 2016, 05:51 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Just remember B_E! He liked Ghostbusters as well.

Personally i'm really looking forward to The Neon Demon, but doubt i'll ever bother with Girlbusters.
Old 12th July 2016, 06:12 PM
Cult Veteran

Someone who I trust in matters of film saw The Neon Demon last night and suggested it was more like Fulci homage than Bava or Argento, it's only playing at The Odeon in Liverpool so I haven't been to see it yet, maybe tomorrow after dinner.
keirarts likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 12th July 2016, 06:14 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Interesting. This is probably the only (even remotely) positive thing I've read about this since it was announced!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Just remember B_E! He liked Ghostbusters as well.

Personally i'm really looking forward to The Neon Demon, but doubt i'll ever bother with Girlbusters.
Kim Newman was reasonably impressed with the Ghostbusters remake/reboot as was Nigel M Smith in the Guardian, and Robbie Collin in the Telegraph. These are the only three reviews I've read so far. There is a good roundup in the Huffington Post though with a summary of the reviews.
keirarts and nosferatu42 like this.

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 12th July 2016 at 06:26 PM.
Old 12th July 2016, 06:25 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Kim Newman was reasonably impressed with the Ghostbusters remake/reboot (https://johnnyalucard.com/2016/07/10...tbusters-2016/) as was Nigel M Smith in the Guardian (https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...y-kristen-wiig), and Robbie Collin in the Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/201...captures-sp/); these are the only three reviews I've read so far. There is a good roundup in the Huffington Post though (‘Ghostbusters’ 2016 Review Roundup: Here’s What The Critics Make Of The New Film) with a summary of the reviews so far.
I'll wait for Bizarre_Eye's review before i watch it.
Old 12th July 2016, 06:35 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Consider yourself eternally ignorant of the pains/delights of Nu-Ghostbusters then!

It's not something I'm even remotely interested in checking out from what little I've seen/heard and I'm someone who is not at all precious about the original film like others seem to be either.

As for the reviews you posted above Nos, I rarely (if ever) read editorial or critical reviews of any film. At least in recent years anyway. I'd rather go into a film as unbiased and as 'fresh' as I can.
Old 12th July 2016, 06:45 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Subtitle it, pretend it is East European and suck all the fun out of it and BE will love it!
Old 12th July 2016, 06:46 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Consider yourself eternally ignorant of the pains/delights of Nu-Ghostbusters then!

It's not something I'm even remotely interested in checking out from what little I've seen/heard and I'm someone who is not at all precious about the original film like others seem to be either.

As for the reviews you posted above Nos, I rarely (if ever) read editorial or critical reviews of any film. At least in recent years anyway. I'd rather go into a film as unbiased and as 'fresh' as I can.
Because of my love of the original and my ambivalence towards Paul Feig's other films, I was also going to give it a wide berth and only watch it when it was available on Lovefilm/Netflix/Sky Movies, but the way the critics have embraced it and number of positive comments on Twitter have piqued my interest and I'll go to the cinema to see it if I have a spare few hours. You

The latter may be the stumbling block because I'm with work and a short summer course at university this month.
keirarts likes this.
Old 12th July 2016, 06:46 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
Subtitle it, pretend it is East European and suck all the fun out of it and BE will love it!
Old 12th July 2016, 06:48 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
Is black and white optional or the difference between very good and superb?

Like this? Share it using the links below!