Old 13th July 2016, 09:13 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979)

Or The Slow Motion Picture as it's detractors like to think of it. However i think this is an excellent film.
As Tim Bisley (Simon Pegg) observed in Spaced, "I mean, it's a fact, sure as day follows night, sure as eggs is eggs, sure as every odd-numbered Star Trek movie is shit."

As far as my (admittedly limited) knowledge goes, that holds true until the 11th instalment, when JJ Abrams rebooted the entire franchise with the excellent 2009 film. I hope the 13 film, due out a little later this year, is as good as the previous two. Simon Pegg is one of the writers so he is probably very keen to prove himself wrong!

Quote:
Quality slow burning science fiction. Makes me think i should give 2001 another go.
That would be a smart move.
Old 13th July 2016, 09:29 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
As Tim Bisley (Simon Pegg) observed in Spaced, "I mean, it's a fact, sure as day follows night, sure as eggs is eggs, sure as every odd-numbered Star Trek movie is shit."

As far as my (admittedly limited) knowledge goes, that holds true until the 11th instalment, when JJ Abrams rebooted the entire franchise with the excellent 2009 film. I hope the 13 film, due out a little later this year, is as good as the previous two. Simon Pegg is one of the writers so he is probably very keen to prove himself wrong!

Actually, the ninth film, Insurrection is excellent.
Justin101 likes this.
Old 13th July 2016, 09:34 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Agreed,
It's pretty true up until the last 3 which are all really good, the JJ Abrams series doesn't count in the adage as it's a new series.
keirarts likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 13th July 2016, 09:38 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Agreed,
It's pretty true up until the last 3 which are all really good, the JJ Abrams series doesn't count in the adage as it's a new series.
Plus its better then any of the original films, including IV which once seemed brilliant but is now painful to watch.
keirarts likes this.
Old 13th July 2016, 09:41 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Plus its better then any of the original films, including IV which once seemed brilliant but is now painful to watch.
Nonsense it remains brilliant.

I must admit when i saw The Motion Picture at the cinema it bored the pants off me. I was a kid and it wasn't Star Wars.
Justin101, keirarts and J Harker like this.
Old 13th July 2016, 09:51 AM
Cult Veteran

That being said out of 2 JJ Abrams reboot films already out only one of those is actually good, the jury is out for the new one but I'm not overly confident.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 13th July 2016, 09:54 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Quote:
Agreed,
I've just looked online and Insurrection was released in 1998, probably around the time when the Spaced episodes were being written (I think the quote was from 'Chaos'), so maybe Simon Pegg wasn't a fan at the time! I haven't seen all of the 'original' series of films (I'm five episodes into the first series), just the first two and the fourth, which I thought was rubbish at the time.

That said, I think I watched it on TV probably around 1990 when I hadn't seen any other Star Trek films or episodes, so it's not exactly an educated opinion.
keirarts likes this.
Old 13th July 2016, 10:15 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watched The Little Death (2014, Josh Lawson)
Aussie comedy. Made me laugh. A lot. More or less the stories of 3 couples and the tangled webs we weave haha. Not quite Your Friends & Neighbours, but still worth a look.

Death Wish II (1982, Micheal Winner)
Whilst there is more of a romantic element to this than I remembered, I didn't laugh at all. Nasty mean spirited film.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 13th July 2016, 10:43 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
That being said out of 2 JJ Abrams reboot films already out only one of those is actually good, the jury is out for the new one but I'm not overly confident.
To be honest i didn't think much of Abrams reboot. I've yet to see the second film. It just came across like any other sci-fi film. Big on effects and audience wow factor but very little to do with Star Trek.
Old 13th July 2016, 10:50 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Watched The Little Death (2014, Josh Lawson)
Aussie comedy. Made me laugh. A lot. More or less the stories of 3 couples and the tangled webs we weave haha. Not quite Your Friends & Neighbours, but still worth a look.
I immediately read this as The Mad Death and let out a little squeal.

Then i realized a review for a terrifying British drama about rabies probably wouldn't begin with the words 'Aussie comedy'.

Like this? Share it using the links below!