Like Tree179661Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th July 2016, 11:24 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I've just looked online and Insurrection was released in 1998, probably around the time when the Spaced episodes were being written (I think the quote was from 'Chaos'), so maybe Simon Pegg wasn't a fan at the time! I haven't seen all of the 'original' series of films (I'm five episodes into the first series), just the first two and the fourth, which I thought was rubbish at the time.

That said, I think I watched it on TV probably around 1990 when I hadn't seen any other Star Trek films or episodes, so it's not exactly an educated opinion.
I'm no expert either. Although i own all the films and watched them more than once, i even saw 1,6,8 and 9 at the cinema. As far as the tv series goes, i own 2 out of 3 seasons of the original and 3 out of 4 seasons of Enterprise. I owned the Borg episodes in a vhs box set from both The Next Generation and Voyager and the Voyager episode where Seven of Nine fights The Rock in a Blood Sport type episode.

I have seen a lot of The Next Generation when it originally aired but thought it was way too moralistic for my taste and Voyager just too irritating.

As for Deep Space 9, i've not actually seen a single episode. I went to a Cult TV convention when it was at the peak of it's powers and two episodes introducing Worf to the series in a huge space battle were going to get their UK premier there on the big screen much to my three mates glee. However as it was my turn to drive and it took bleedin' hours to get there, plus a heavy intake of alcohol i fell asleep at our table as the opening credits rolled and never caught a minute of it. Woke up as it finished and carried on partying the rest of the night.

Little did i know i was the only one who slept through it and the convention camera crew captured my snoring self, much to my friends delight and replayed it the next day on the big screen as a piss take highlight of the previous evening. Bastards! The lot of em! Two thousand people thought it funny though.
Old 13th July 2016, 11:34 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Great story. I doubt Michael Dorn or Corey Allen (thanks, Wikipedia) would have been too impressed if they were in attendance!
Old 13th July 2016, 11:38 AM
Cult Veteran

DS9 is a great series, it's a lot darker in tone than any of the other series and with it being rooted in the same location manages to get rid of the 'reset button' of the other series.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 13th July 2016, 11:48 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
DS9 is a great series, it's a lot darker in tone than any of the other series and with it being rooted in the same location manages to get rid of the 'reset button' of the other series.
That was one of the reasons i disliked The Next Gen. Nothing really seemed to follow on, as you suggest everything was reset the very next week.

I think at some point i will get the complete DS9. I imagine it's quite like Babylon-5 which was utterly brilliant.

I can't see me ever buying The Next Gen or Voyager unless i noticed them at real bargain prices.
Justin101 and keirarts like this.
Old 13th July 2016, 12:05 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

I used to watch a bit of DS9 when I was younger as it used to be on BBC 2 (?) around the time I had my dinner!

I wasn't really a fan, and I thought that it played out much more like a 'soap opera' in space' compared to what I'd seen from the prior incarnations of Trek.

I've never been a big Trek fan though and still haven't checked out Abram's efforts, mainly because, as Dem alluded to, they just look like generic action films to me rather than Star Trek. I'll probably check at least the first one out someday though.
keirarts likes this.
Old 13th July 2016, 12:13 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I've never been a big Trek fan though and still haven't checked out Abram's efforts, mainly because, as Dem alluded to, they just look like generic action films to me rather than Star Trek. I'll probably check at least the first one out someday though.
The second film, even though Sherlock's in it as Khan, doesn't really grab me and make me want to watch it.
keirarts likes this.
Old 13th July 2016, 12:20 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I watched 88's release of *Killer Workout* the other day and I absolutely loved it! It's one of the trashiest films I've seen in a long time and I was really glad that it managed to remain a "serious" slasher film, and didn't fold into being some daft comedy horror. I also loved the many many montage type sequences of aerobic classes and their displays of T&A in snazzy 80's ladies gym clothing. I was born in '85 so can't speak to the authenticity of said gym gear, so can anyone confirm - did women actually wear that type of outfit when going to workout??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 13th July 2016, 01:02 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckyFunster View Post
I watched 88's release of *Killer Workout* the other day and I absolutely loved it! It's one of the trashiest films I've seen in a long time and I was really glad that it managed to remain a "serious" slasher film, and didn't fold into being some daft comedy horror. I also loved the many many montage type sequences of aerobic classes and their displays of T&A in snazzy 80's ladies gym clothing. I was born in '85 so can't speak to the authenticity of said gym gear, so can anyone confirm - did women actually wear that type of outfit when going to workout??
I also really enjoyed it and intend to watch it again quite soon.

As for your final question, judging by this Jane Fonda video from 1985 it seems they did!

Old 13th July 2016, 01:30 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckyFunster View Post
I watched 88's release of *Killer Workout* the other day and I absolutely loved it! I was born in '85 so can't speak to the authenticity of said gym gear, so can anyone confirm - did women actually wear that type of outfit when going to workout??
Don't be so sexist - it wasn't only women who wore this kind of thing in the 80's
nosferatu42 and MuckyFunster like this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 13th July 2016, 02:04 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

If it was always like this then maybe I'd go to the gym abut more often!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
keirarts and nosferatu42 like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!