Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th May 2017, 12:50 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Critters was a favourite movie of mine one of the good comedy horrors of the 80s. They kinda went downhill after 3rd one and was there a need for a 4th?
well i've got the sequels to get through this weekend, so can't wait
keirarts likes this.
Old 5th May 2017, 12:52 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakshaun View Post
well i've got the sequels to get through this weekend, so can't wait
Happy viewing Bleakshaun
keirarts and bleakshaun like this.
Old 5th May 2017, 01:23 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakshaun View Post
Critters.
I haven't seen this since my age was in single digits
"It takes all kind of critters
To make Farmer Vincent's fritters
"

Well, that would have been a totally different 'Motel Hell', wouldn't it!
keirarts and bleakshaun like this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 5th May 2017, 01:26 PM
Seasoned Cultist

22 Jump Street (2014)

Just as good as the first film.

***1/2 out of *****

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 5th May 2017, 04:33 PM
Cult Addict

Critters 2.
The sequel is set a couple of years after the events of the 1st one, some locals find some eggs in a barn and because of the heat the critters hatch. the bounty hunters and the local drunk return to finish them off (because you know people never think to themselves these things eat they may also f**k). chaos ensues.
This one seems to kind of be more of a gremlins rip off than the first with them wreaking havoc on a small town. despite this little nitpick, i must say i preferred this to the 1st film for 2 reasons; boobs and critter ball.
8/10
Old 5th May 2017, 06:01 PM
Cult Addict

Critters 3
So the film begins with a camper van stopping at a forest. critter eggs hide under cars, return to apartment chaos ensues.
this is leo dicaprios first role and as the 3rd in the franchise you kind off expect it to go downhill. in spite of this some fun slapstick moments, shoddy action and to be honest critters in Los Angeles you would expect something more like them running loose in Hollywood.
6/10

*note didn't realise it was LA, to be honest the place its set is bland, it could have been kirkcaldy for all i know*

Last edited by bleakshaun; 6th May 2017 at 09:17 AM.
Old 5th May 2017, 06:53 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

For me its one of those rare movies in which just like the thing the remake is better than the original. This is largely thanks to effects/ gore of this one. A great 80s horror. 9/10

Next up tonight

Edit

I hate when the days are long and the sun is still out at this time as I can't watch a horror unless its dark and by the time it is dark I'm usually too tired .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 31917.jpg (90.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg download-7.jpg (6.5 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg MV5BMTIzOTA1MDM0OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTcwNjUyMQ@@._V1_UY268_CR6,0,182,268_AL_.jpg (14.5 KB, 7 views)
Old 5th May 2017, 08:23 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

At the moment im watching a classic Stephen King story one of the best haunted houses story
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rosered.jpg (30.4 KB, 8 views)
Old 5th May 2017, 09:29 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Wicker Man (1973)

A May Day watch of one of the classic British chillers. There are a lot of films that can be called classic but this for me has really stood the test of time. Even though i can recall it practically scene for scene it continues to create that atmosphere of foreboding that made it so special as a first time watch.

In fact it could be argued that it's familiarity makes it even more sinister. For we know as the intrepid yet awkwardly naive Sergeant Howie, a never better Edward Woodward, comes into contact with the inhabitants of Summerisle, that each and every one of them knows exactly what fate will fall on the good Sergeant, and every smiling face is a facade of doomed inevitability.

Yet despite the atmosphere of pagan mysticism the film has a sort of comforting quality. Is it because we too know what will befall Howie so we are confident everything leading up to the burning man conclusion should place him in no danger, or is it a sign of the quality of the script that puts us at ease? Having pondered this whilst watching the film for the umpteenth time it still comes as a shock as it dawns on Howie as well as the viewer that there simply won't be a happy ending. We know he's a lamb to the slaughter but even now the film has a potent ability to chill the blood in a way that very few films can. It's when you look around and see the happiness on the faces of the Summerisle inhabitants as the wicker edifice and Sergeant Howie burn, and the Spring sun comes into view that despite the murder of a policeman all is well with the world, and that to me is what makes The Wicker Man a true classic of British film making.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wicker-man-1973-poster.jpg (96.0 KB, 10 views)
Old 5th May 2017, 09:37 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Wicker Man (1973)
Doesn't get much better than that. It's so homey and yet so very terrifying.

"Come along man, cut some capers!" For some reason me and my brother quote that at each other pretty much every time we meet.

We're easily pleased.

Like this? Share it using the links below!