Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179627Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th June 2017, 11:22 AM
Cult Addict

I had the U.S DVD and then the Blu-ray.

Arrows blu-ray looks much better as its a fresh transfer.
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 7th June 2017, 01:59 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Pixote 1981

On the streets of Sao Paulo 10 year old Pixote is arrested in a raid on homeless people and taking to a detention centre for youths where they endure torture and degration. With the help of others can they escape.

The film deals with poverty, but with poverty comes crime as people strive to survive and a 10 year old's childhood stolen. This film is no walk in the park, it can be emotionally disturbing to some.

Fernando Ramos De Silva acting as Pixote was amazing as he was involved in crime. 9 years after the film was released he was gunned down by police. This film is unforgettable 10 out 10.
Old 7th June 2017, 02:44 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Longest Day (1962)
I considered watching this yesterday but I have seen it the past two years on the same day and either wasn't in the mood or, perhaps most likely, in the light of events in Manchester and London, didn't particularly feel like watching a war film. I have the DVD and keep meaning to upgrade to the Blu-ray release, which I'll probably do before 06/06/18.
keirarts likes this.

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 7th June 2017 at 02:59 PM.
Old 7th June 2017, 02:46 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Birdy 1984

Two strangers who become friends are drafted into Vietnam, when they come home both are traumatised and not the same as we see in flashbacks.

Mathew Modine and Nicholas Cage star as Al and Birdy two guys from different walks of life. This film was made and got a good release but was forgotten about. It's a slow decent into madness and horror of surviving war. It's not a war movie but it describes and shows how far would one person go to show true friendship is and what it means to another. Alan Parker knew how to turn a novel into a great movie 9 out of 10.
Old 7th June 2017, 05:57 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
The Longest Day (1962)
It is a great film, but this and A Bridge Too Far (another great film) are both known by alternative titles in my house. The Longest Film and A Bridge Too Long.
Old 7th June 2017, 06:26 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watching Dead or Alive II
His characters petulance is a joy to behold.
Hmmm. That doesn't sound right. The petulance his characters exhibit?
Hmmm.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 7th June 2017, 07:18 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
The Longest Day (1962)

Five directors and 42 international stars along with a budget of approx $10m and it's all there on screen. Depicting the day leading up to and D-Day 6/6/1944, itself, The Longest Day is epic stuff. Even though it's a mammoth three hours in length it flies by and feels like a mere 90 minute movie.

If you haven't seen it seek it out. You'll learn something about the pivotal event that changed the course of the Second World War as well as seeing the likes of Robert Mitchum, John Wayne, Sean Connery, Robert Ryan, Henry Fonda, Richard Burton and perhaps most importantly Richard Todd, who played Major John Howard, leader of the British airborne assault on the Pegasus Bridge. Todd took part in the real bridge assault on D-Day. He was offered the chance to play himself but took the part of Major Howard instead.

I don't do the stars thing for my longer reviews but in this case i will.

I watched the film yesterday as well Dem.

"Wounds my heart with a monotonous languor".
Old 7th June 2017, 07:26 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post
I watched the film yesterday as well Dem.

"Wounds my heart with a monotonous languor".

Quote:
He's dead. I'm crippled. You're lost. Do you suppose it's always like that? I mean war.
Dave Boy likes this.
Old 7th June 2017, 09:38 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

While never going to be considered a classic, with its gory kills and hilarious dubing and dialogue there is plenty of fun to be had. With the black gloved killer it seems more of a giallo than a slasher. Who could the killer be the police inspector, the mammas boy teacher, the principle or Bluto! Still dont understand why it turns into a zombie movie in the last scene.7/10

But 10/10 for this scene.

Old 7th June 2017, 09:48 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Flesh + blood 1985

In Western Europe the year 1501 soldiers invade a township led by Martin (Rutger Hauer). After their victory they are betrayed and take their revenge by kidnapping their betrayer's son's bride.

This film was made by Paul Verhoeven (Total Recall and Robocop) its a medieval action adventure mixed with the horror of a plague. The film is not exactly accurate but from start to finish its very enjoyable. However *spoiler alert* there is a scene when a woman has a miscarriage that can be upsetting to some. 8 out of 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Poster_Flesh_&_Blood.jpg (26.8 KB, 4 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!