Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th June 2017, 01:08 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

A Good Day to Die Hard must be bad as even i hated it.

There are some great Die Hard sequels out there. Die Hard 2, and Under Siege are good examples.
Old 8th June 2017, 04:46 PM
Seasoned Cultist

I'm surprised you like the X-Men films, BE.

Die Hard 4.0 and A Good Day to Die Hard are both awful Die Hard movies (especially the latter), but they're pretty entertaining action flicks. They just don't fit in with the franchise that ended for me with Die Hard: With a Vengeance.

Pistol Whipped (2008)

**1/2 out of *****

Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 8th June 2017, 04:53 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinematic Shocks View Post
I'm surprised you like the X-Men films, BE.
They're pretty much the only superhero films that I do like!
Cinematic Shocks likes this.
Old 8th June 2017, 04:58 PM
Seasoned Cultist

The only ones I don't like much are The Last Stand and X-Men Origins: Wolverine. But even they have their moments. I would love to see Liev Schreiber play Victor Creed in a better film.
trebor8273 likes this.

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 8th June 2017, 05:01 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinematic Shocks View Post
The only ones I don't like much are The Last Stand and X-Men Origins: Wolverine. But even they have they're moments. I would love to see Liev Schreiber play Victor Creed in a better film.
Yeah, I'm not a fan of The Last Stand either. Too many story arcs crammed together in order to try and tie everything up in a nice little bow, however it just creates a haphazard mess. I've never attempted the Origins film mainly for hearing from all sides how bad it is.

Probably sacrilege, but my favourite is probably First Class closely followed by the first two films.
Cinematic Shocks likes this.
Old 8th June 2017, 05:05 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Yeah, I'm not a fan of The Last Stand either. Too many story arcs crammed together in order to try and tie everything up in a nice little bow, however it just creates a haphazard mess. I've never attempted the Origins film mainly for hearing from all sides how bad it is.

Probably sacrilege, but my favourite is probably First Class closely followed by the first two films.
The Wolverine is well worth checking out, b_e. I really like that one.
Old 8th June 2017, 05:24 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
It isn't sacrilege, First Class is my favourite main X-Men film as well. Logan has become my favourite overall though.

Here's how I rank the franchise:

Logan
First Class
X-Men 2
Days of Future Past
Deadpool
X-Men
The Wolverine
Apocalypse
The Last Stand
X-Men Origins: Wolverine

Last edited by Cinematic Shocks; 8th June 2017 at 05:57 PM.
Old 8th June 2017, 06:16 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Wolverine is well worth checking out, b_e. I really like that one.
I've seen that one and thought it was distinctly average. It's the Origins: Wolverine one that I've yet to see - I'm in no major hurry to either going off of general comments!
Old 8th June 2017, 06:20 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Quickies

Mildred Pierce (1945)

Joan Crawford's is terrific in this outstanding film Noir about a recently divorced woman who tries to make a go of it in the restaurant business but is seemingly undermined by everyone, including her vile daughter Veda (a standout performance that is both spoiled brat and terrifying femme fatale from Ann Blyth). Although it treads new ground in the Noir genre - rain, shadows and fog and gun shots in the night are largely missing here - Mildred Pierce is perhaps more effective and shocking than most.

Brilliantly directed and photographed by Casablanca's Michael Curtiz, this is one movie not to be missed.

Killjoy Goes to Hell (2012)

The fourth and final entry in the series is easily the best of what is mostly a bad bunch. Killjoy is sent to hell to answer to the Devil for his ineptness as a demonic clown. Following on from the decent Killjoy 3 this improves even further. Trent Haaga is on fine form as the wise cracking clown who desperately needs help in saving his skin from jilted ex Batty Boop (Victoria De Mare). Some biting dialogue and a lot of fun make this one of my favourite Full Moon productions. A naked throughout the film De Mare helps as well.

Holocaust 2000 (1977)

Italian/British production starring Kirk Douglas as an industrialist who builds nuclear power plants, who comes to suspect his latest creation may end up fulfilling a terrible biblical prophecy in setting the world on a course of disaster. Basically a rehash of The Omen with Simon Ward as Douglas' son who is seemingly the Antichrist.

Alberto De Martino brings together a fine international cast including Anthony Quayle, Virginia McKenna and Agostina Belli but they all appear to struggle with a muddled screenplay although there are one or two memorable moments.

Django's Cut Price Corpses (1971)

Low budget Italian nonsense. Poor script, shoddy camera work and woeful acting/dubbing. Jeff Cameron is the most forgettable Django i've come across. A film as clunky as it's title suggests.
Old 8th June 2017, 06:21 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
I've seen that one and thought it was distinctly average.
I really like it. It just loses it a bit during the last 20 minutes.

Like this? Share it using the links below!