Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179676Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th August 2017, 12:12 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakshaun View Post
My mate showed me The Company of Wolves.
The film centers around a young girl, who dreams of being in a small village and having to traverse a path to visit her grandmother, during the film her grandmother tells her some tales based on wolves, the second half was based more on Little Red Riding Hood.
The acting is great, at first the plot felt difficult to follow but you start to understand by the second half of the film. What makes this standout is the transformation effects from man to wolf. Not as good as American Werewolf in London, but is well done. I'd recommend giving it a watch.
8/10
Great fantasy film, easily one of the very best werewolf films ever made.

Also perhaps the best British film of the 1980's?
Old 13th August 2017, 04:16 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Watched James Cameron's Terminator 2:

This is an extremely well made (but unnecessary) sequel to an all-time classic. The film abandons logic in a few places (for example, how can T-1000's contact with the sole of a shoe produce an identical security guard, and how come there were explosive yellow barrels already waiting at the lab?).

It's also a bit of a stretch that John Connor would choose to send back an identical model T-800 but since that was the only way of returning a lead actor, you just have to accept it. Is quite good fun to see the two lead actors now playing different roles (Linda Hamilton a highly trained badass, and Schwarzenegger a somewhat sympathetic, non-lethal cyborg).

There's a few plot contrivances too such as a very well-timed remote control car crash, a truck just happening to carry liquid nitrogen and a foundry being handily nearby. But the overall movie is so well crafted that you fairly easily choose to just go along with it. Final film score - 7.5/10.

(The original Terminator film would actually score a 9.5).
Old 13th August 2017, 06:26 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

5/10

8/10
Old 13th August 2017, 08:01 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
Logan

Savage and beautiful study of middle age, mortality and finding a meaning for life in the face of death.

I can't recommend this enough. Best film I have seen this year.
My exact thoughts. Jackman's best performance as the character, the film is perfect!

On a completely different note, just watched Hide & Go Shriek. Very good slasher I'd never even heard of until 88 put it out.
Old 13th August 2017, 11:55 PM
Cult Addict

Nightmare at Noon. 1988. Nico Mastorakis.

More utterly entertaining nonsense from Greek director Mastorakis.
This one features a rather tubby old looking Brion James, another b-list tough guy playing 'the albino' some sort of bio terrorist who poisons the water supply of middle of nowhere, backwater desert town Canyon something or other. The result being anyone who drinks of the water turning into homicidal maniacs.
Ex cop Reilly, vacationing lawyer Ken and Local Sheriff Hank struggle to contain the threat and battle the bad guys. Why? Not sure. How? Guns.
Any good? Hell yeah.
George Kennedy, Bo Svenson, Wings Hauser (what a feckin name!) and Brion James hold up another Mastorakis classic!!!
Old 14th August 2017, 10:20 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Views from last week. Starting with Beat Girl which I'm sure most of you have already seen. Right from the off I was hooked to this one, what a delinquent! I wonder how much Christopher Lee was paid for what was clearly a days work

Next up was a Sunday morning in bed with Theatre of Blood and the League of Gentlemen. Having seen this before when I borrowed it off a work friend I decided to watch this time with the commentary track. It was really fun but maybe not very informative. They spend a lot of time talking about not recognising Diana Rigg in her various disguises and revolting in glee at the elaborate deaths! Recommended.

I tried to watch Eurocrime! twice, the first time the quirky editing and subtitles did my head in so I slept on it and gave it another try, I'm glad that I did. Chock full of insights from the likes of Henry Silva and Franco Nero. One of the little anecdotes was that if the film was acted in English but one of the actors couldn't speak it, they just counted to 10 instead of saying the lines

I'm not a 2000AD fan, although I've tried to be in the past, it fascinates me. I thought that Future Shock might be a good toe in for me, I think it was, even if it wasn't it was very entertaining. I didn't realise just how many big names in the industry started out at with the comic here in the UK.

Five Dolls for an August Moon was a disappointment. This is definitely a lesser Bava and not one which I think i'll be revisiting any time soon. It's a shame because it started off really well and quickly descended into madness. I'm not entirely sure I understood the ending either

The Cockettes is a documentary about a band of Hippies in the late 60s experimenting with free love and gender ambiguity who fell into Show Business partly by accident. It charts their rise to super stardom in their native San Francisco and the plummet from grace after an ill advised attempt to crack NYC.

I watched the American re-edit of Haxan, Witchcraft Through the Ages, first time viewing but it was a blast. A lot more violent than I was expecting. I'm going to give it another go soon with the original Swedish version.

Finally, now I know why they call it the 'Slow Motion Picture'. I've been a fan of Star Trek for years and years, I've see all of the films except for the first installment. While it was fun watching the over acting and dodgy effects, the actual film is just too long! They could have done with a good editor, every scene was just too long! Kirk and Scottie's fly by of the Enterprise took about 10 minutes, that's when alarm bells were ringing! I plan on watching all 10 movies over the next few weeks, let's see which my favourite is. It'll be between The Journey Home, The Undiscovered Country or First Contact I think.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 14th August 2017, 10:46 AM
Cult Addict

What no Wrath of Khan?? That's my favourite.
Justin101 and keirarts like this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 14th August 2017, 10:48 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
What no Wrath of Khan?? That's my favourite.
I do love that one, it's just not as fun as the other 3 I mentioned though It's funny to think that Wrath of Khan was the follow up the The Motion Picture
keirarts and nosferatu42 like this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 14th August 2017, 11:33 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I do love that one, it's just not as fun as the other 3 I mentioned though
Not a patch on them in my opinion.
Justin101 likes this.
Old 14th August 2017, 12:24 PM
Cult Addict

Watched Blair Witch
The little brother of the woman from the original believes she is still alive, so he decides to go to the forest with his student friends and a s**tload of cameras, only to be trapped in the woods by (presumably) the Blair Witch.
Adam Wingards film, sounds like crap on paper and utter garbage on screen, the film itself unfortunately fails as a successor to the original and merely serves as fan fiction without any subtlety or discretion.
3/10

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk

Like this? Share it using the links below!