Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th December 2017, 07:37 PM
Cult Acolyte

la-nave-de-los-monstruos. The Ship of Monsters (1960) jpg.jpg
La nave de los monstrous/ The Ship Of Monsters (1960)

The Planet Venus has no more males. Two females are sent on a mission to the planets to find males of any species and bring back to Venus.
After collecting various creatures from the planets, the spaceship develops a fault and has to land on Earth.
There the two Venus girls run in to a singing cowboy and they see how similar the Venus and Earth people are.
One of the girls though, has a taste for blood and attacks a man.
Knowing she will be sentenced to death for this, she lets loose the collection of monsters on the ship in a bid to take over the world...

Insane Mexican production has girls in skimpy costumes, a robot, monsters, vampires, cowboys, singing, dancing, comedy, sci-fi, horror ..Oh man this is such fun

Bat-shit Crazy.

thLGM0SAQR.jpg tumblr_len1viTojk1qf2my8o1_1280.jpg
Old 29th December 2017, 09:29 AM
Cult Addict

My voyage to Italy.

A four hour documentary hosted by Martin Scorsese that looks at Italian Neo-realist cinema from the end of world war 2 as the Italian film industry struggled to rebuild itself up to the 60's as directors such as Antonioni and Fellini made their way into the mainstream thanks to cashiers du cinema. It features lots of clips from films such as The Bicycle thieves, Rome open city, La Dolce Vita, 8 1/2 and many more as Scorsese explains the films impact on him, why he likes them and what makes them interesting. If you have the time to spare it's worth checking out. It basically feels like a film studies lecture where the lecturer is one of the great directors of the late twentieth century. This isn't a bad thing in my book.

House of Wax

I was going to watch the Bicycle Thieves. However I was feeling somewhat depressed and it's a film that honestly would do little to improve my mood so I stuck this on instead.
House of Wax always cheers me up. Its got that old school horror charm that's hard to match and would later make bank of Corman who took Vincent Price's character in this and moulded it to fit his Edgar Allen Poe cycle cementing Price as a bona fide horror star. House of wax is a fine film, its flawed in places perhaps. Are we genuinely supposed to be surprised when the mysterious burned figure turns out to be price? However its easy to forgive as the film is brisk and entertaining. Its got one or two surprisingly nasty scenes for a film of its pedigree and the technicolour look of the film is genuinely wonderful. It's worth checking out the 3D if you can. Its probably still the best use of it in a film. Also worth mentioning is an early appearance from Charles Bronson as the mute Igor. Looking like a bloke who could twist your head off for fun he's genuinely fun here.
Old 29th December 2017, 11:41 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default Decemberdike

December 29th - The Dead Are Alive (1972)

No they aren't. What a misleading title, artwork and cover blurb this film has. Following a promising opening in which a young couple are beaten to death in a tomb we descend into a dreary chat-a-thon giallo as precisely nothing happens.

I went into this film stone cold. Now having seen it i intend to watch it again at some point knowing it's a talky giallo rather than a zombie film.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6a00d8341c18b253ef0120a4eb4596970b-600wi.jpg (62.6 KB, 6 views)
Old 29th December 2017, 11:45 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
December 29th - The Dead Are Alive (1972)
Yeah, it's definitely one that suffers due to one of the worst cases of misleading marketing that I can recall.

I pretty much had the same reaction as you when I first saw it. However, I did enjoy it much more second time around.
Old 29th December 2017, 12:39 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (2014)

Having loved the first two films i went into this final chapter hoping it would finish on a high. I'm delighted to say this was the best yet. Thrilling battle scenes with superb set pieces are at the centre of this film but there's also well conceived dialogue and characterization that's rare in modern blockbusters. I felt this had a more satisfying conclusion than the cumbersome ending after ending which Return of the King suffered from in the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

The Dark Tower (2017)

Speaking of characterization, The Dark Tower has none whatsoever. Based on an epic eight book Stephen King's series, this is frankly awful. Running a mere 80 odd minutes plus end credits, dialogue is basically there to move the story along. At no point did it ever seem like i was watching real people and it was only testament to stars Idris Elba and Matthew McConaughey that i managed to stick it out until the end. This film should have been ambitious and huge instead it felt cheap and unloved. And what happened to the Gunslinger (Elba) ? The central character of the 8 book series - he was sidelined to shoehorn a kid in instead. Terrible!

Captain America: Civil War (2016)

A film so much better than Age of Ultron (2015) - the last time the Avengers assembled. This takes into account the Avengers accountability for the wanton destruction and collateral damage they cause whilst fighting for justice. The politicians want to control the group which doesn't go down at all well with Captain America.

Balancing superb action with a great script isn't something these films do too well but manage it here. Even with an influx of new Avengers - Spiderman, Antman and Black Panther - the script keeps everyone busy and more importantly keeps the viewer engaged with thought provoking themes and action which appeared less cartoon like - at least to my eyes anyway - than many of these films.

Excellent.

Dunkirk (2017)

Christopher Nolan's gritty account of the evacuation of the British Expeditionary Force from the beaches of Dunkirk, France, as the German army advanced.

At a mere 100 minutes this is actually far less detailed (and less involving) about the operation than the 1958 film of the same name. However it proves a more visceral affair thanks to modern filming techniques. At times the film is practically wordless and has an almost documentary feel, meaning it actually lacks in drama, yet at others it seems like one of the best action movies in recent memory. My main complaint was the score which at times sounded like a monotonous dirge humming through my surround set up.
Old 29th December 2017, 05:08 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post
Attachment 200263
La nave de los monstrous/ The Ship Of Monsters (1960)

The Planet Venus has no more males. Two females are sent on a mission to the planets to find males of any species and bring back to Venus.
After collecting various creatures from the planets, the spaceship develops a fault and has to land on Earth.
There the two Venus girls run in to a singing cowboy and they see how similar the Venus and Earth people are.
One of the girls though, has a taste for blood and attacks a man.
Knowing she will be sentenced to death for this, she lets loose the collection of monsters on the ship in a bid to take over the world...

Insane Mexican production has girls in skimpy costumes, a robot, monsters, vampires, cowboys, singing, dancing, comedy, sci-fi, horror ..Oh man this is such fun

Bat-shit Crazy.

Attachment 200264 Attachment 200265

SOLD
keirarts and Dave Boy like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 29th December 2017, 05:30 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Hard Ticket To Hawaii (1987, Andy Sidaris)

See this. NOW. Quite an exciting romp all in. To describe the actual plot would be a disservice. Cute opening credits lead us into a Pandora's Box of high end nonsense. His magnum opus? You decide ....

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 29th December 2017, 05:56 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakshaun View Post
Showed my mum El Topo today, my mum's review is this: "ach it was alright; queer in a lot if bits and I had to leave the room at that branding sequence."
For me that's a 10/10

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk
Kudos. Watched a few things with me Mater. The Offence and a Bertolucci film (La Luna??) spring to mind instantly. But wouldn't have even thought about the 'Zen western'

[B]
Old 30th December 2017, 07:59 AM
Cult Addict

Masks

German Giallo Homage with some nasty and well executed murders. Overall I found it a little flat and lifeless and kept getting distracted. Might need to give it another chance later.

Rawhead Rex

Enormous fun. The film takes Barkers acclaimed short story about a giant phallic monster on the rampage and messes it up in key places. However if watched on its own terms its a fun little monster movie. Rawhead has been somewhat changed because the effects team thought a cock monster might look silly (and completely missed the point of the story) and threatens to eliminate the endings meaning. It also lacks the intensity of the story and the creature looks somewhat silly in certain scenes however this does give the film a certain charm that makes it very watchable.
Old 30th December 2017, 08:54 AM
Cult Acolyte

black-christmas-movie-poster-2006-1020397011.jpg
BLACK CHRISTMAS (2006)

Absolutely dire remake of the original 1974 movie.
I'm sad I know, but the only reason I had the film on was because Katie Cassidy was in it.
The temptation was to turn this mess off but I managed to see it through to the end. Nothing to redeem this film at all.
Rubbish! 0/10

Like this? Share it using the links below!