Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th January 2018, 06:36 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Don't worry D, i don't think Susan's seen Invasion and was perhaps quoting from other sources. (apologies if this is not the case, Susan and you own the Network dvd) I could tell you what happens minute by minute and you wouldn't stop me and say "This is just like Spearhead from Space".
Apology accepted

Although I don't have a copy, I have actually seen 'Invasion' when it was shown on television a few years ago

As I was watching it, I was thinking to myself that Doctor Who had 'paid homage to it', and I didn't make the Holmes connection until later

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 12th January 2018, 06:49 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Twilight Time's SCREAM AND SCREAM AGAIN.

Fantastic!

An original horror film if ever there was one!

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 12th January 2018, 07:01 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Watched a shedload over the festive period.

Severin's THE DEVILS RAIN is a must-buy for any horror fan!
CRACKING film.

Borgnine's 'Devil-head' must be seen to be believed!

However,this is the only (minor) downside to a film that manages to be creepy and atmospheric,I haven't seen this since it was released on DVD and it was a real treat to see it in HD.

Does anyone know if the BBC screened this late one night back in the late seventies or early eighties?

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 12th January 2018, 07:05 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post
Watched a shedload over the festive period.

Severin's THE DEVILS RAIN is a must-buy for any horror fan!
CRACKING film.

Borgnine's 'Devil-head' must be seen to be believed!

However,this is the only (minor) downside to a film that manages to be creepy and atmospheric,I haven't seen this since it was released on DVD and it was a real treat to see it in HD.

Does anyone know if the BBC screened this late one night back in the late seventies or early eighties?

I think it was BBC2, and it would have been circa 1981 or 2. I was at school at the time, and remember people talking about John Travolta melting!

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 12th January 2018, 07:08 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Cheers Suz!

I knew my old man had let me sit up late with him and watch it!

I'm sure they also screened Ride With The Devil as well around the same time.
Susan Foreman and keirarts like this.

Old 12th January 2018, 09:04 PM
Cult Addict

Madman
A group of campers are around a fire and are told the story of Madman Marz. They shrug it off as shite, but then it turns out Marz is real and is killing them off one by one.
Another slasher inspired by Cropsy, this one seems to do what it can with its budget, great gore effects in that respect. However Marz himself looks a bit crap.
7/10

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk
Old 12th January 2018, 10:44 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
I think it was BBC2, and it would have been circa 1981 or 2. I was at school at the time, and remember people talking about John Travolta melting!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post
Cheers Suz!

I knew my old man had let me sit up late with him and watch it!

I'm sure they also screened Ride With The Devil as well around the same time.
The Devil's Rain was never part of the double bills.

@Reaper - Race with the Devil certainly was though - Saturday 18th July 1981.

I got my info from a recentish Dark Side. - 179

There's also a list of all the double bills here. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horror...ovie_Fantastic
keirarts and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 13th January 2018, 11:39 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Jack the Ripper (1958)

A Scotland Yard inspector at his wits end following recent unsolved murders of prostitutes is delighted when an old friend from the New York PD pays him a visit.

Loosely based on Leonard Matters' theory that Jack the Ripper was an avenging doctor who murders prostitutes to avenge the death of his son, the film plays out like a typical 'whodunnit' rather than any in depth study on the Ripper case.

Canadian actor Lee Patterson is imported into this British production by Monty Berman and Robert S. Baker in a bid to appeal to the American market as was regular practice at that time. Patterson is an engaging actor and is easy to root for. The film throws a few well known faces into the mix including Ewan Solon and John Le Mesurier.

Jack the Ripper is well made. Shot in stark black and white, except for one shocking blink and you'll miss it scene at the end, it's suitably eerie. The dank and fog bound London streets are a foreboding place and the whole thing has a chilling Gothic atmosphere, even harking back to the Universal Frankenstein days with the Londoners very quick to form a mob and hunt down anyone they might suspect of the crimes afoot.

The murders themselves aren't very graphic. More often than not a shot of a blade then the victim falls to the ground. Additional scenes of nudity and blood were shot for the French release some of which - the dance hall sequence - aren't of great value, but the few frames of murder footage including blood on breast shots would have upped the films shock value considerably. All these scenes are on the Italian dvd and hopefully have been spruced up and re-inserted into the new Severin blu-ray release.

Jack the Ripper is an enjoyable addition to anyone's fifties horror collection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jack-the-Ripper-1959-poster.jpg (75.0 KB, 8 views)
Old 13th January 2018, 02:13 PM
Cult Master

MV5BMzQ4MjEyNjg4Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTY1NDEzMzI@._V1_UY1200_CR90,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

What an awesome film this is I had no clue about what it was about just heard some high praise so had to check it out so glad I did . Vince Vaughn in his best role of his career which wouldn't be hard really not really a fan of most of his output but he shines here I think he had fun not giving a rats ass making this film which suited his character perfectly. The plot is simple man goes to jail and smashes faces and necks and arms and backs .

Sit back and relax white about to get crazy

8/10
Old 13th January 2018, 02:23 PM
Cult Master

images.jpeg

More prison brutality when Jamie Lanister takes a break from incest and knights of the round table cos playing to take over a white supremacist prison gang just to survive in the big house and protect his family on the outside. Great film with some great bad assery from the lancemister himself never mess with a man trying to protect the people he loves because he will stop at nothing to make sure they are safe.

8/10

Like this? Share it using the links below!