Like Tree179668Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th March 2018, 10:13 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I quite ‘liked’ the new Spider-Man but it’s one of the worst films in the current MCU, I think at least. It’s too long and there are too many horny teen jokes which fall flat. Good villain though and I thought Holland was a likeable Spidey, just his best mate was tedious and again, too many jokes and quips that aren’t funny. Kinda like Freddy cracking jokes in NOES pt 6 lol...
Hell, i'd forgotten all about his mate. I knew there was another reason the film was so bad.

And as Dave Boy said, that costume which bulked him out at the flick of a switch - terrible.

As Nos alluded to, i also really liked Spiderman's appearance in Civil War. I only saw that film over Christmas and really liked it so was actually looking forward to Homecoming.
Justin101 and keirarts like this.
Old 4th March 2018, 10:45 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Ending the night with Beyond The Poseidon Adventure (1979)
A truly awful sequel ... but at least there is no snow in it

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 5th March 2018, 08:35 AM
Cult Addict

I think I liked Spider-man homecoming in part because the Andrew Garfield ones were utter shit. Also Raimi's spidey 3 is pretty bad as well. I think though the worst one was Amazing spider-man 2 which was even worse than the micro budgeted 70's nonsense. I was literally fighting the urge to walk out.
Objectively I think taken separately without referring back to the previous films it's fairly average but with one of the best marvel villains in the Vulture.
Old 5th March 2018, 08:51 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Noted k.

Beyond ... was quite the revelation really. Whilst the cast was made up of contemporary 'stars' (TV mainly) I still got a kick out watching real people clamber round real sets. Telly Savalas on hand to sneer (he always gave great sneer ... see Horror Express ) and the 'revelation' of a familial bond at the end ... icing dear boy. 10/10 for being a remnant of a dying age ... I need more coffee

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 5th March 2018, 08:53 AM
Cult Addict

Red Sparrow

Jennifer Lawrence plays a Russian Ballerina whose career is ended with a nasty on stage leg breaking. Roped in by her creepy uncle who works for the Russian secret service, she agrees to a simple job switching phones with an Oligarch who has pissed off the government in some way. Things go south when the rich slob rapes her and then is killed by a government assassin. Having seen too much she's given a choice, either get a bullet in the head or join the Red Sparrow programme. Obviously being keen to stay alive she opts for the latter and is sent to 'whore school'. Run by a harsh matron played by Charlotte Rampling who seems to be channelling the harsh dyke characters from Nazi-spolitation films, Lawrence's character learns how to infiltrate, lie and read people in order to 'give them what they want'. After beating the shit out of a would be rapist before sexually humiliating him in front of the class in a scene so uncomfortably blatant it wouldn't be out of place in a Tinto Brass film. She's then given an assignment to seduce an American agent played by Joel Edgerton who has contact with a mole within the Russian government.
I'm saying no more. If you intend seeing this then its worth knowing very little about the final two thirds of the film. I liked it. Its not a classic, its got too many English people adopting thick Russian accents and could be argued to caricature the Russians, though the dead journalists and critics of the state could suggest its not being that unfair. I like this because its very much not the sort of film the studio's usually release. Its a slow moving, two and a half hour spy movie where shit doesn't blow up, with Lawrence as the Russian agent that would appear in Bond movies for the British agent to seduce before she dies a tragic death of some kind. The film seems to take that character and explore the kind of nasty sh** someone would need to go through in order to be in this kind of career.
It's got numerous nasty torture scenes, including people being skinned. Its got sudden brutal violence and plenty of nudity. The fact that the distributors got it trimmed to get a 15 suggests they really don't 'get' this film. Its not a film for 15 year olds. Its not got enough action, its far to brutal and not in any kind of stylish or glamorous Hollywood sense. It's nasty, deliberately unpleasant and serves a purpose. Honestly I think a lot of people might end up hating it. Its probably the most divisive Hollywood picture I've seen in a while, though nowhere near as good as mother!.
Old 5th March 2018, 09:04 AM
Cult Addict

Hitch-hike

Franco Nero and Corinne Cléry play a couple touring America with a Caravan. The pair bicker constantly and engage in rough sex, much to the disgust of people at the camping sites they stay at. Nero is an abrasive drunk who has a habit of alienating anyone he meets while Clery seems to enable if not encourage this behaviour while acting disgusted by it. The pair pick up a hitch hiker played by David Hess. As you can imagine this was a big mistake and he begins to terrorise the couple at gun point. He's robbed a bank and has two million dollars on him. Nero's character eyes this and there begins a battle of wits between the three characters.
Hitch hike is a nasty little road movie. Its got no likeable characters. Pretty much everyone in it is a self absorbed, abrasive creep. Its probably the only David Hess film where he's actively struggling to be the most despicable person on screen. It's credit to the film then that its made to work and the film becomes very engaging, even tense as the final act draws close.
Old 5th March 2018, 10:41 AM
Cult Addict

The Blood Drinkers
A vampire drains people of blood to help bring back his love, but in order to fully succeed; he needs the heart of his loves' sister.
There's some fascinating use of lightning especially with the use of red and blue. However it is such a slow paced film that takes away from it. Making it feel like its been going for more than it has.
Not brilliant but not awful. Just average.
5/10

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 5th March 2018, 10:53 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Love Hitch Hike. Grim as hell.
keirarts likes this.

[B]
Old 5th March 2018, 12:39 PM
Cult Addict

Witchfinder General
Not going to really review it, I'm sure the majority of people here have seen it.
10/10

Old 5th March 2018, 04:35 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakshaun View Post
Witchfinder General
Not going to really review it, I'm sure the majority of people here have seen it.
10/10

But isn't that the point b? What YOU thought about it etc? Go on go on go on go on .....

[B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!