Like Tree179676Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th March 2018, 10:14 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by profondo rosso View Post
Great review, which has prompted me to go and watch this again, and also think why this has not had an all whistles and bells release? such a cult film which would surely move in great numbers if released.
Maybe not on blu, but the dvd is a special edition. Two discs, loaded with extras, full colour booklet and a nice fold out digi pack.

You'd be paying twenty five quid if Arrow put it out on blu.
keirarts likes this.
Old 10th March 2018, 10:39 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Maybe not on blu, but the dvd is a special edition. Two discs, loaded with extras, full colour booklet and a nice fold out digi pack.

You'd be paying twenty five quid if Arrow put it out on blu.
There'd always be the inevitable 5 for £30 at HMV!

That's the same DVD release I have. I never bothered upgrading this one to Blu, despite it being an '80s fave of mine. I'd definitely be tempted to shell out for a premium Blu release though.
keirarts and profondo rosso like this.
Old 10th March 2018, 10:44 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
There'd always be the inevitable 5 for £30 at HMV!

That's the same DVD release I have. I never bothered upgrading this one to Blu, despite it being an '80s fave of mine. I'd definitely be tempted to shell out for a premium Blu release though.
Anchor Bay isn't it.

DTS soundtrack as well which is good.

The UK blu is abysmal with a cover to match.
Old 10th March 2018, 11:16 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Indeed tis awful ... though tis exploitative to a degree ....

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 10th March 2018, 02:06 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Indeed tis awful ... though tis exploitative to a degree ....
Feel free to be exploited.
Old 10th March 2018, 02:20 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Anchor Bay isn't it.

DTS soundtrack as well which is good.

The UK blu is abysmal with a cover to match.
I have the Anchor Bay double DVD too, although I believe there is an Optimum/Studio Canal double DVD as well, not sure why they couldn't have just put all of those things on the bluray as well, it's a mystery!!
keirarts likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 10th March 2018, 02:39 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Dr Jekyll & Sister Hyde (1971, Roy Ward Baker)
What Jess could have done with this story ANYway .... Ralph Bates fascinates me. He picked some really strange parts. And that hair. Lawdy. Leaps up in my estimation by sheer nerve alone. Yet again, a scientist with noble intentions goes right off the deep end in the search for an 'ultimate truth'. In that smashing eyerolling manner we all love. Recommended.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 10th March 2018, 04:22 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Friday the 13th (2009)

Odd entry. It has some great kills but there are elements which don't sit right with me at all. It's far too influenced by the Texas Chainsaw remake (yes, I know that it uses some of the same crew individuals). There's also a strange decision to purposely use clearly out-of-focus shots during the first third of the film. Very odd.

Are they trying to say that the original films were poorly made? Please correct me if wrong but I don't recall any out-of-focus moments in the original films. Also I've never understood the entire weed subplot. Is Jason growing cannabis for personal use or is it being grown as bait? Or is just naturally growing? I dunno.

Despite that, most of this remake is well shot and it does quite a good job of ratcheting up the tension. Film score - 3.5/5. btw Is a lot better than Michael Bay's Amityville and Nightmare remakes!
Old 10th March 2018, 10:49 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Patient Seven (2016)

The always watchable Michael Ironside plays Dr. Marcus, a renowned psychiatrist who has selected 6 severe mentally ill and dangerous patients from the Spring Valley Mental Hospital to interview as part of research programme.

Basically a modern remake of the Amicus anthology Asylum. So if you've seen that you'll know the twist to this film. Taking in six stories with vampires, zombies, ghosts, demons (a rather cool looking Doug Jones) not forgetting good old psychopaths (The best story by far), Patient Seven is on the whole quite good, but and it's a big but - at almost two hours it's far too long.

The first couple of stories featuring a deranged Amy Smart (The Visitant) and then The Body, originally a short British film in it's own right, starring Game of Thrones actor Alfie Allen promise much (spot the Halloween III references with the masks on show in this one) but later episodes begin to drag. The denouement is still a surprise because nothing whatsoever is given away beforehand, it's only when it comes that the over riding feeling is one of deja-vu.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg iphone360_957545.jpg (64.8 KB, 5 views)
Old 11th March 2018, 10:51 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Empire Of The Dark (1990, Steve Barkett)

Recognise that name?
No?
'Famed' "video nasty" heimer??
ANYway ....
This is the same mix of matte paintings, masks and meandering as Aftermath to be sure.
Demonic forces shadow a local copper as he searches for answers to a past mystery. A hoot as it is that special blend of strong ideas and pocket change for a budget. Recommended.

[B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!