Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th May 2018, 11:34 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Guardian 1990

A couple hire a nanny to help with the care of their newborn son unaware she is a nymph to a tree god and plans to use the baby as a sacrafice.

This is not the greatest movie by William Friedkin, the plot was something new, Jenny Seagrave gives a good performance as Camilla and good supporting cast from Miguel Ferrer and Brad Hall. There are some noticable flaws that might be by passed and helps time pass by. 5 out of 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 41CSWCXSKVL._SY445_.jpg (26.6 KB, 7 views)
Old 16th May 2018, 06:31 AM
Cult Addict

Deadpool 2

Not as good as Deadpool due to some sloppy pacing issues in the first half but still worth watching. When it finds its feet its damn funny, ultraviolent and crude as hell as one would expect. It just takes its time finding its feet.
Old 16th May 2018, 11:56 AM
Cult Addict

Deadly Outlaw Rekka
A yakuza boss is murdered, prompting a psychotic clan member to go to war with the killers, only to be betrayed by his own people.
Takashi Mike's yakuza film has a great strong opening and some great action sequences, sadly there are times where the gaps between the sequences can be long. Still worth a watch.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

Last edited by bleakshaun; 17th May 2018 at 08:13 AM.
Old 16th May 2018, 01:53 PM
Cult Acolyte

deadpool2_movie_poster_uk_quad-628x471.jpg

Loved it!
Good action sequences, violence, and loads of quick fire jokes.
Looking good this time around are Cable and Domino who are joined by X-Men Colossus and Negasonic Teenage Warhead from the first movie.

*WARNING*
It is possible that some of your enjoyment may be spoilt by other cinema patrons who will laugh out loud and long at EVERY FECKING MINOR JOKE AND HUMOROUS ON SCREEN MOMENT!!!
Old 16th May 2018, 03:10 PM
Cult Acolyte

CRUCIBLE OF HORROR

AKA THE VELVET HOUSE, this UK psychological horror was filmed in 1969 but not released until 1971.
In it, Yvonne Mitchell stars as a wife who, along with her daughter ( played by Sharon Gurney ) get fed up with husband Michael Gough's abusive treatment and decide to bump him off for good. However, things don't go quite to plan and before you know it, we're into Diaboliques territory.
I've always wanted this one on shiny disc and Scream Factory's blu ray looks wonderful.

ESTIGMA

A teenage boy has Carrie - like powers in Jose Larraz's eerie horror / thriller. I like Larraz as a director - his movies always have a unique feel to them and ESTIGMA is similarly eerie and strange. Fans of Alexandra Bastedo will enjoy this one too.
The bad news is that this disc from Dorado ( part of a Larraz double bill ) falls way below what we've come to expect from blu ray. It's still perfectly watchable and it's great to see more obscure titles like this getting a release, but I'm keen to see what Arrow will do with their ( rumoured ) upcoming Larraz titles.
Old 16th May 2018, 05:41 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

War for The Planet Of The Apes 2017

After being attacked and betrayed by some apes and a big loss, Ceasar vows revenge on the colonel who killed his family and forcing apes to become slaves.

This is not the best installment to the franchise, the movie does tend togo slow then the pace builds up then slow again. Woody Harrleson's performance as the colonel wasnt his best, its like he was told, "yeah theres the camera you stand there and act wooden". Andy serkis does return as Ceasar and makes things look more creative than the previous films and more protective of his young son Cornelius. Steve Zahn appears as Bad Ape, who seeks more apes but is more cheeky/comedy act that helps to keep us entertained. 6.5 out of 10.
Old 16th May 2018, 06:51 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
War for The Planet Of The Apes 2017

After being attacked and betrayed by some apes and a big loss, Ceasar vows revenge on the colonel who killed his family and forcing apes to become slaves.

This is not the best installment to the franchise, the movie does tend togo slow then the pace builds up then slow again. Woody Harrleson's performance as the colonel wasnt his best, its like he was told, "yeah theres the camera you stand there and act wooden". Andy serkis does return as Ceasar and makes things look more creative than the previous films and more protective of his young son Cornelius. Steve Zahn appears as Bad Ape, who seeks more apes but is more cheeky/comedy act that helps to keep us entertained. 6.5 out of 10.
I've only seen this once and intend to buy the Ultra HD release tomorrow, but I thought the way it incorporates elements of Apocalypse Now and even some video game references (the gorilla called Donkey) and introduced some really strong characters, both sympathetic and unlikable, was extremely well done – I absolutely adored Bad Ape – and was very moved by the end.
Old 16th May 2018, 06:54 PM
Cult Addict

I enjoyed "War" when i saw it at the cinema but not seen it since.

From memory i'd probably give it an 8/10.

I really liked it but still think "Dawn" is the best of the new series.
keirarts and MrBarlow like this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 16th May 2018, 07:04 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I've only seen this once and intend to buy the Ultra HD release tomorrow, but I thought the way it incorporates elements of Apocalypse Now and even some video game references (the gorilla called Donkey) and introduced some really strong characters, both sympathetic and unlikable, was extremely well done – I absolutely adored Bad Ape – and was very moved by the end.
The ending was sad and vey moving, i loved the original Planet of the Apes movies, but hated the remake, i was hesitant to get Rise to The Planet Of The Apes, but the plot to it worked well.
Old 16th May 2018, 07:11 PM
Cult Addict

I grew up watching the originals, and although the "Burton" remake had good make up it was a mess.

The new series is much better with "Dawn" probably being my second favourite apes story after the original film.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.

Like this? Share it using the links below!