All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179635Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th January 2019, 04:10 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Ant-Man and the Wasp 2018

A superhero film that tries to do something a bit different. Rather than chucking planets at one another Ant Man and the Wasp deals with the real world - car chases, shoot outs, that kinda stuff, but the fact it's all done Incredible Shrinking Man style makes it suitably different and also a lot of fun.

Despite the film being populated by high calibre actors such as Michael Douglas, Michelle Pfeiffer and Laurence Fishburne, it was the presence of the lovely Evangeline Lilly as the Wasp that made me want to watch this film in the first place.
Fun film. The Stan Lee cameo really made me laugh. btw Good de-aging cgi too.
MrBarlow likes this.
Old 14th January 2019, 08:02 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Hey, gather round ....

Suspiria (2018)

What indeed was I worried about? That any 're imagining' of that film would somehow tarnish it? Silly Demon. It reminded me of The Cell ... Lynch .... Devil May Cry ... and felt really brittle, as if it would fall apart without your attention. She reminded me of Violet Elizabeth Bott tbh.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 14th January 2019, 12:20 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Mighty Aphrodite (1995)

Mira Sorvino's happy hooker is the only reason to watch this film. It's an amiable comedy of the Woody Allen variety, mildly amusing at times, mainly due to explicit sex references which strangely seem out of place even though Sorvino's character is in the sex trade, but not a film i will ever go back to.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mighty_aphrodite_ver2.jpg (35.7 KB, 7 views)
Old 14th January 2019, 12:29 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Mighty Aphrodite (1995)

Mira Sorvino's happy hooker is the only reason to watch this film. It's an amiable comedy of the Woody Allen variety, mildly amusing at times, mainly due to explicit sex references which strangely seem out of place even though Sorvino's character is in the sex trade, but not a film i will ever go back to.
For some reason I always thought that it was Alicia Silverstone on the poster! I'm more interested in watching it now that I know it's Mira Sorvino, and now looking at the poster I don't know why I ever thought it was anyone else!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 14th January 2019, 02:03 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I totally agree with this, although I never saw any of the 3 while I was still a kid as zombies scared the pants off me However, Dawn was my favourite once I saw it (Anchor Bay double VHS) when I was in my late teens/twenties but now (more) grown up I like Night for the tension and Day for the interesting story it tells and the characters. Dawn is now just a big, dumb action film that's a bit too long and sags in the middle. All three of them are still cracking films though.

I might watch Snyder's remake tomorrow night, I've not seen that for a long time!
I think the Dawn remake is actually a better film. Dawn is the weakest of the original trilogy for me.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Justin101 likes this.
Old 15th January 2019, 03:10 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Tales that Witness Madness (1973)

Decent but not brilliant riff on the Amicus style of portmanteau horror film directed by Freddie Francis. Taking their Asylum (1972) route the stories all revolve around inmates of an asylum looked after by Donald Pleasence.

The first story - Mr.Tiger - is about a boy who befriends an imaginary tiger with gory consequences whilst the second tale involves Suzy Kendall, an old portrait, a Penny Farthing cycle and time travel. Both are merely okay.

Things pick up with Mel. A story about a married man (Michael Jayston) who brings a dead tree home as a piece of art work. However he soon begins to show the tree more attention than he gives his wife (Joan Collins). This is lovely and quirky and is the best of the four.

The final tale - Luau - is also very good. It's an Occult piece that co-stars Kim Novak alongside Mary Tamm.

Full of black humour, Tales That Witness Madness is part very good and part merely okay, but it's definitely a film worthy of any collector of British horror.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 71JeUpQSXFL._RI_.jpg (95.1 KB, 4 views)
Old 15th January 2019, 08:44 PM
Cult Addict

Badlands
A man starts to date a fifteen year old girl and after murdering her father goes on the run and hides in the wilderness with the law hunting them down.
Great movie and a great first watch for the year, even if Martin Sheen is an asshole, he still brings a strong performance.
51JuymtDc3L.jpeg

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 15th January 2019, 09:41 PM
Cult Acolyte

The Strange and Deadly Occurrence. A family begin to be terrorised in their new home by an unseen enemy. Is it a personal vendetta, or does someone just want them out of the house for their own reasons? Robert Stack and Vera Miles star in this standard but still pretty entertaining mid 70s TV movie thriller.
Old 16th January 2019, 10:44 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Murders in the Rue Morgue (1971)

An unusual take on Poe's tale in that the gorilla murders only take place in a Grand Guignol theatre production run by Jason Robards rather than actually being part of the plot narrative.

The story itself is a little to close to Hammer's Phantom of the Opera in that we have a masked Herbert Lom skulking round the Paris theatre district offing members of Robards cast. There are flashbacks galore and sometimes flashbacks within flashbacks, yet for all the general oddness it's quite compellingly done with a couple of gory acid murders thrown in.

Although Robards is okay, it's a pity AIP had finished with Vincent Price by this point as this film sorely misses him. It also lacks any tension whatsoever so in this respect is very akin to Hammer's Phantom. As with all AIP productions the sets and costumes are gorgeous, yet as a whole this film ultimately turns out to be a little on the boring side.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg maxresdefault.jpg (106.8 KB, 5 views)
Old 16th January 2019, 05:11 PM
Cult Addict

Bloodbath at the House of Death
A group of scientists head to an old house where 18 people were murdered. Inept Satanists, led by Vincent Price, try to scare them off but fail to do so.
A fun little film, needed more Vincent Price though. It has some really fun moments but there are jokes that feel like they should've been in airplane.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

Like this? Share it using the links below!