Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179627Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th January 2019, 03:14 PM
Seasoned Cultist

The Last Man on Earth.

Dr Robert morgan(Vincent Price) is one of the last surviors of a deadly plague that has wiped out the human race and causes them to return as vampires. and by night he is holed up in his house under siege from the creatures and by day he seeks them out staking them and burning their bodies.

A very underrated film indeed from the great Mr Vincent Price with a very impressive performance from the brilliant actor. a rather grim and eerie film but extremely gripping throughout.
reminded me a bit of the george Romero's films, and maybe he was influenced by this. 79 out of 100.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the-last-man-on-earth.jpg (20.8 KB, 9 views)
Old 28th January 2019, 04:33 PM
Cult Acolyte

target-earth-ii.jpg
TARGET EARTH (1954)

Robots from Venus are invading.
A handful of people left behind in a city after an evacuation, hole up together in a hotel. Trouble comes calling when a convict comes to the hotel.
All the while, robots patrol outside..

Low budget sci-fi. Unfortunately, an even lower budget looking robot causes trouble for those in hiding. Still, good fun and enjoyable.

target-earth-production-still_52-1954.jpg
Old 28th January 2019, 08:38 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Death Kiss

And this is where we are now. A Stars In Their Eyes version of a Cannon film .
A lone vigilante cleans up the streets in a non non judgemental fashion . Fun if you squint a lot ....

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 29th January 2019, 02:04 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Incredible Shrinking Man 1957.

After being exposed to radiation and insecticide Scott Carey begins to shrink at a incredible rate and medical science try to find a cure.

Based from the novel by the same name, both book and movie were good, the effects back then were good but now they may seem laughable. Grant Williams plays Scott who does't understand whats happening until its too late and narrates his thoughts as he is left to defend for himself in the basement of his house. Along side The Fly, and Invasion of the body snatchers this is one of the best SCI-FI movies that can make you feel sympathy for the main actor aswell as cheering him on with a battle between man and insect, 9 out of 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg main.jpg (35.6 KB, 5 views)
Old 29th January 2019, 02:13 PM
Seasoned Cultist

The house With The Laughing Windows.

in a small italian town a chap called Stefano(Lino capplicchio from bloodstained Shadow, who i,m pretty sure was called Stefano in that as well) is a artist who has been hired to restore a old painting in a church of a tortured saint painted by an artist who was a madman. and discovers that something sinister is going on.

I have to say that this is a very slow moving film indeed but more than makes up for it with the weird and creepy atmospheres. by giallo standards it is pretty bloodless too apart from a couple of stabbing scenes although they are pretty strong.
overall, this is a very solid effort that keeps you intrigued throughout, and with a good twist in the tale as well.
so i award a respectable 79 out of 100 for this unusual giallo from Pupi Avati.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6-25-14-laughing-windows-head.jpg (33.9 KB, 5 views)
Old 29th January 2019, 04:15 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Zombie View Post
The Last Man on Earth.

A very underrated film indeed from the great Mr Vincent Price with a very impressive performance from the brilliant actor. a rather grim and eerie film but extremely gripping throughout.
reminded me a bit of the george Romero's films, and maybe he was influenced by this. 79 out of 100.
This is based on I am Legend by Richard Matherson and is my favourite version of the story on film, also i think i read that George was influenced by the book while making "Night of the living dead".
Paul Zombie likes this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 29th January 2019, 07:57 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Apostle 2018

A man travels to a remote island where his sister is being held for ransom by a religious cult, he slowly unravels their secrets as he plots to escape.

This was a good chiller movie, with some good acting, scenery and gore, The film starts of good as a father reading about his daughter and his son turns up and goes on the search. The films pace goes well and does't get boring just keeps you entertained. Michael Sheen Plays one of the finding fathers of the remote island cult and gives out his way of punishment to rule breakers, this is worth a watch and best viewed in the dark. 8 out of 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg APOS.jpg (21.2 KB, 6 views)
Old 29th January 2019, 08:03 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

House of Wax (2005)

One of the best of the 00's remakes of classic horror films, in this case 1933's Mystery of the Wax Museum.

It is however far too long and half an hour should have been shaved from it's running time because the opening 45 minutes are for want of a better word, boring.

When the film get's going it's a terrific slasher film with some genuinely gruesome splatter fx, - in fact Paris Hilton's demise is one of the best in slasher movie history - and an original fiery finale where it becomes apparent that it really is a house of wax.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 220px-House_Of_Wax_movie_poster.jpg (13.2 KB, 6 views)
Old 30th January 2019, 09:52 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Replicas

The new Splice. Keanu yet again emotes like a petulant child who has just been told his favourite show was cancelled (see also Knock Knock ). Science fiction with a teeny whiff of the Black Mirror (and indie ting Andover]) .... this is a stoopid movie disguised as a thriller. Look ... amoral scientist is a trope that goes back to the start of it, so there is nowt new (except the sheen of CGI) here. Plenty of laughs though, as of course morality and Hollywood are estranged somewhat .

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 30th January 2019, 02:01 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Abominable Snowman (1957)

Botanist Peter Cushing decides to join the exploration team of crass American Forrest Tucker on a dangerous expedition into the depths of the Himalayas to attempt to find the legendary Yeti.

Coming hot on the heels of The Curse of Frankenstein, The Abominable Snowman is something of a triumph. Based on a Nigel Kneale play (Kneale's Quatermass films had done great business for the company earlier in the decade), this subtle psychological horror is as much about the interplay of Cushing and Tucker, two men with vastly opposing views as it is the horror of the Yeti. Tucker's wish to capture the creature and put it on show and exploit it whilst Cushing, ever the nice guy, thinks research is more important.

As it turns out the creature is more than a match for both of them as it manipulates the men via their thought process with shocking results.

The film, directed by Val Guest, is tense and supremely atmospheric, using eerie claustrophobia to convey it's frightening sense of paranoia that makes you forget the stock footage and occasionally fake looking studio set mountains and grabs you by the short and curlies in one of Hammer's very best films.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 43.jpg (99.6 KB, 9 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!