Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179630Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th May 2019, 07:59 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Stick (1985, Burt Reynolds)

So what I notice this time is Charles Durning auditioning for Blue Velvet. Well, that's what it looked like to me .
Ernest Stickley doesn't suffer fools gladly. So when Durning tries to fool him, let's say that things don't go the way he expects. Based on Elmore Leonard's novel, this is fun. Burt plays it well enough in the first half, only reverting to type when Candice Bergman turns up
Movie. See also Malone

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 11th May 2019, 08:08 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Scream of Fear (aka Taste of Fear) (1961)

Or if you prefer Taste of Fear, this is the first in Hammers psychological thriller films,and the secound directed by Seth Holt for Hammer who also did the psycho-biddy film The Nanny (1965) (he apparently died while making Blood from the Mummy's Tomb,and it was finished by Michael Carreras.).Any how Penny Appleby (Susan Strasberg) returns to meet her father on the French Riviera only to met by her stepmother played by Ann Todd as Jane Appleby and the chauffeur (Ronald Lewis)...So where is her father? and why does his body keep popping up in the most un-expected places..it has everything the psychological horror film is famous for,a helpless neurotic heroine, double crossing family members,an inheritance in the offing and just the general air and feeling that everyone seems to be hiding a secret or that there not to be trusted..Christopher Lee as Doctor Gerrard appears as the family doctor,who again is one of those characters were not quite sure,is he to be trusted or not,but saying that its a fairly small part,but its always nice to see Mr Lee in a non vampire roll,even if his french accent is slightly off. All in all a very enjoyable thriller and I remember when I first saw the film many years ago I was surprised by the plot twist at the end,and i still find it very effective even today...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scream_of_fear_poster_02.jpg (97.9 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Inspector Abberline; 11th May 2019 at 09:17 PM.
Old 11th May 2019, 09:12 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Stop making me rewatch stuff Ron. I have enough to deal with with the endless stream of filth at hand
Review btw

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 11th May 2019, 10:23 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Geostorm (2017)

How have i not seen this truly ludicrous movie until now? Starring Gerard Butler as a brilliant astrophysicist... seriously, do i need to go on?

If you can get your head round this simple fact then you might love this disaster movie where everything but the kitchen sink is thrown at the screen. It's part sci-fi thriller, part global disaster movie, part bromance, part political conspiracy thriller, with added In the Line of Fire assassinate the President thrills thrown in ... and a dog who barely escapes with it's life.

A disaster movie in more ways than one but i bloody loved it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2017_-_Geostorm_Movie_Poster.jpg (98.6 KB, 4 views)
Old 11th May 2019, 10:30 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

It's silly cubed. Rewatch! Wait a minute

Next!
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

[B]
Old 12th May 2019, 12:14 AM
Seasoned Cultist

'Rituals', via the recent Scorpion blu - which is labelled as Region A, but is Region free.
Looks much better than I was expecting, especially after the 'this is the best we could do' warning at the start. There is a fair bit of damage etc, but the dark scenes, which I believe were a problem with previous releases, aren't too bad. Good film and Hal Holbrook is great, as usual.
3 1/2 stars.
Old 12th May 2019, 02:19 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Keoma(1976)

Keoma(a long haired franco Nero) is a half breed who has returned from the civil war, and finds his old home town ravished by disease and under the control of the ruthless Caldwell( the chap out of Zombie holocaust). and finds himself facing off with his three half brothers who used to bully him as a child, and are now in Caldwells employ.

Top notch western from director Enzo G castellari. with non stop action, a great plot, and an excellent performance from Franco Nero as the shaggy haired gunslinger.
castellari's trade mark slow mo shoot outs are well used as well, just a shame that he ran out of money for bullet wounds. Bodies are pumped full of bullets without one drop of blood being spilled.

olga Karlotos ( who had her eye pierced in fulci's Zombie) also co stars too as a pregnant woman who franco helps out against the bad guys. and the black chap woody strode from Spartacus is very entertaining with his bow and arrow and banjo.
Great fun indeed. my only criticism is the horrendous soundtrack with terrible singing. christ, even Posh Spice with the cheeky girls couldn't be much worse.

but still a solid 78 out of 100 for this classic western.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg keoma-1200-1200-675-675-crop-000000.jpg (69.2 KB, 4 views)
Old 12th May 2019, 05:02 PM
Cultist

Enter the Dragon - 8/10

Still my favourite Bruce Lee film. Loads of familiar faces in it, plus some quality Bolo and John Saxon.

For Bruce being the greatest Kung fu star of all time none of his films actually have any proper kung fu choreography in them.
Old 12th May 2019, 06:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Scorpio (1973, Michael Winner)

Fun spy caper with Burt Lancaster and Alan Deloin. Spritely direction helps the story along.
When our titular protagonist (AD) fails to complete his mission to his bosses satisfaction, he is sent after 'closure'.
The usual underestimation occurs . Burt has a ball. Recommended.

[B]
Old 12th May 2019, 07:03 PM
Cult Acolyte

maxresdefault.jpg
A BUCKET OF BLOOD (1959)

A busboy at a café uses clay to cover the dead people and animals he kills and then puts the sculptures on exhibition in the café to gain friends in the art circle..

This low budget Roger Corman quicky is good fun. Reportedly made in five days!
A great scene is where Dick Miller has hidden the body of a guy he just cleaved in the head with a frying pan in the kitchen ceiling while his landlady comes snooping. After, a pot is put down on the floor to catch the stream of blood coming down. The film is set to the so called Beatnik culture of the 1950s.

Like this? Share it using the links below!