Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Hawkmonger 8th February 2013 03:52 PM

Silent Hill is one of those franchises made for a certain median. At time's, the original series of games are shit-your-pants scary. Genuinly classic examples of horror RPGs. What other median touches it, however, is bound to ruin it. The movies are dire. The novels are OTT crap. The comics are....I have no idea as they where near impossible to read. Return to your first person origins please, Silent Hill.

Baseball Fury 8th February 2013 05:35 PM

Third person ;)

Hawkmonger 8th February 2013 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baseball Fury (Post 320163)
Third person ;)

God dammnit auto correct!:censored:
How do you change a whole freaking tense through auto correct? Bloody phone...
Anyway, just sitting waiting for Hitchcock to start. Think i'll enjoy it.

Dave Boy 8th February 2013 07:27 PM

X-The Unknown (1956)
The Abominable Snowman (1957)

trebor8273 8th February 2013 07:57 PM

Wreck it Ralph, really enjoyed this movie and loved all the refences to classic retro games, definitely a film I shall be buying

Hawkmonger 8th February 2013 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 320208)
Wreck it Ralph, really enjoyed this movie and loved all the refences to classic retro games, definitely a film I shall be buying

"Hey! I'm Zangeith I'm bad guy!"
"Hey Zangeith!"
I freakin loved this, will for sure buy it on BD.:pound:

Hitchcock was...interesting. Hopkins pull's a great performance as the great man and the back story to his films was a tad forced. Not a great auto-biographical flick but enjoyable. Might buy it if it's going cheap enough. I hear there's a similer film that depicts a more visceral Hitch. The Girl? I might have to give that a go, truely a case of Separating the Art from the Artist.

nekromantik 8th February 2013 09:51 PM

Just seen The Perks of Being a Wallflower.
This was a outstanding film! Even if you dont normally watch coming of age dramas, this needs to be seen. So sad and happy at the same time. You really feel for Charlie and get into his world. The writing and direction are very good and the star of the show is Logan Lerman! His performance is truly amazing and should have got at least a Oscar nod! Emma Stone was also very good in it. 8/10

Buboven 8th February 2013 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 317386)
There's no doubt it's an excellent piece of filmmaking. What won me over was the fact that it didn't shrink away from the horror aspect. The ending teetered on the brink of sentimentality, but pulled back by being truthful and bleak... I watched on a bit of a downer, so ditto re the weepiness you mention.

I think that the Devils backbone is a MUCH better picture to be fair. I was a bit underwhelmed with Pans to be honest.

JoshuaKaitlyn 8th February 2013 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 320130)
Will do.

I thought the first film was utter tripe anyway.

Everytime I see those freaky nurses do their dance routine I start singing, 'Don't ya wish ya girlfriend was hot like me....Don't ya?'

Well actually...........No! I don't 'ya!'

Buboven 8th February 2013 10:11 PM

Just watched I Vampiri off the Arrow Black Sunday disk. Not a bad film. Good enough to earn its own individual Arrow release in my opinion (In fact I would say that it is far better than some of Arrows previous releases like Silent Night or Pieces). You can definitely see Mario Bava's style as cinematographer and director coming through. 8/10.

ThePopeofCOSDS 9th February 2013 12:57 AM

SS Hell Camp (aka The Beast in Heat) - Not awesome, but amusing. Church Review.

Laban 9th February 2013 07:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 99483

Slippery Jack 9th February 2013 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 320220)
Hitchcock was...interesting. Hopkins pull's a great performance as the great man and the back story to his films was a tad forced. Not a great auto-biographical flick but enjoyable. Might buy it if it's going cheap enough. I hear there's a similer film that depicts a more visceral Hitch. The Girl? I might have to give that a go, truely a case of Separating the Art from the Artist.

Yeah I though Hitchcock was terribly bland. Definitely check out The Girl - 100% more compelling, with a focus on actual charater rather than tasty bits of trivia. Plus Toby Jones is so much better as Hitch, just as he was so much better as Capote. Poor fella, overshadowed again :lol: . . .

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 9th February 2013 09:49 AM

Recent viewings:

http://elephant.cf1.letterboxd.com/a...0-222-crop.jpg http://psycho.cf1.letterboxd.com/ass...0-222-crop.jpg http://predator.cf1.letterboxd.com/a...0-222-crop.jpg http://memento.cf1.letterboxd.com/as...0-222-crop.jpg http://predator.cf1.letterboxd.com/a...0-222-crop.jpg http://psycho.cf1.letterboxd.com/ass...0-222-crop.jpg http://elephant.cf1.letterboxd.com/a...0-222-crop.jpg http://memento.cf1.letterboxd.com/as...0-222-crop.jpg http://predator.cf1.letterboxd.com/a...0-222-crop.jpg http://psycho.cf1.letterboxd.com/ass...0-222-crop.jpg http://predator.cf1.letterboxd.com/a...0-222-crop.jpg http://elephant.cf1.letterboxd.com/a...0-222-crop.jpg

Beyond72 9th February 2013 10:00 AM

The Bloodstained Butterfly (1971)

Got off to a promising start, but my interest start to wane before the end, as I thought the focus was all wrong, but everything fell into place with the superb ending.

Deadly Inheritance (1968)

Breezy, groovy scored giallo. The fact it doesn't take itself too seriously at times, doesn't make it any less entertaining or effective as later po-faced entries in the genre.

Dave Boy 9th February 2013 10:10 AM

Spider Baby (1968)

gag 9th February 2013 12:30 PM

Paranoid Park..Slow dull and boring lost interest after a while

The rise and fall of a white collar hooligan ...it was ok but not great or owt to shout about, Couldnt help thinking it could have been so much better and the fact that it was so short didnt help, thought a lot of the film was rushed and think it would have benifited better being a 2hr film with bit more happening and slight better story with more build up and longer sequences.

trebor8273 9th February 2013 01:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
some recent viewings

Slippery Jack 9th February 2013 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 320338)
Paranoid Park..Slow dull and boring lost interest after a while.

I didn't mind that one. I'd rate Van Sant's 'slow films'...

Elephant: Superb, an all-time favourite
Paranoid Park: Decent
Last Days: Tedious
Gerry: One of the most boring films I have ever seen

Metallicbomb 9th February 2013 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 320344)
some recent viewings

What's the transfer on
Child's Play
Black Sunday
&
The House By The Cemetery Like
I haven't seen the Blurays yet:loco:

trebor8273 9th February 2013 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metallicbomb (Post 320356)
What's the transfer on
Child's Play
Black Sunday
&
The House By The Cemetery Like
I haven't seen the Blurays yet:loco:

Child's play was ok
Black Sunday seemed fantastic for a film of its age as I've not seen it before dont know how good other release where
House by the cemetery was too damn bright for my liking and found myself not really enjoying this film

Slippery Jack 9th February 2013 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 320358)
House by the cemetery was too damn bright for my liking and found myself not really enjoying this film

Too bright :confused: you mean the transfer? Did you not enjoy it because of the 'brightness', or the film in general? Think it's my favourite of Fulci's 'Silly Supernatural Bollocks' films . . .

trebor8273 9th February 2013 02:42 PM

The film in general, heard so many people say how great it is, just suppose my expectations where to high. Shall give it another chance and also change settings on my tv so it's not so bright.

Delirium 9th February 2013 03:03 PM

Hitchcock

As much as I love Toby Jones, I found his creepy and lecherous portrayal of Hitch in The Girl to be exceedingly cynical and caricatured. Not Jones' fault, I'm sure, and he was no doubt directed that way - they obviously intended Hitchcock to be played as a lascivious old perv. It was, after all, Tippi Hedren's version of events. It also didn't surprise me that it resulted in outcry from a number of ex-Hitch actresses. The fact is it made bold claims without offering much in the way of insight, reasoning or balance. I don't mind seeing a darker side of Hitch, but The Girl felt like a cheap way to make a quick buck by milking the word of an actress who has decided to 'out' a director who can no longer defend himself; a build up of rumour and conjecture.

Those expecting something a little more substantial from Hitchcock will likely remain disappointed. It's superficial, but at least attempts some balance. Personally I feel neither Hopkins or Jones effectively nailed Hitchcock's imitable person, but then my basis for comparison is limited. I enjoyed the focus on his relationship with his wife (played with the usual aplomb by Helen Mirren) and its recognition of her role in the Hitchcock legacy. I also enjoyed the light touches regarding the making of Psycho (as I did the scenes of The Birds in The Girl). As a light and fanciful snapshot of an interesting period in his life, it's fine, but it's also slight, lacks depth and fails to hold up to scrutiny. It reminded me of the rather breezy My Weekend With Marilyn as far as character studies go. Perfectly adequate as light entertainment, but contains little to get one's teeth into. And for an iconic a character as old Hitch, that's really quite unfortunate.

WinterMillennium 9th February 2013 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 320359)
Too bright :confused: you mean the transfer? Did you not enjoy it because of the 'brightness', or the film in general? Think it's my favourite of Fulci's 'Silly Supernatural Bollocks' films . . .

I definitely think they should rename it the 'Silly Supernatural Bollocks Trilogy' now

Justin101 9th February 2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik (Post 320237)
Just seen The Perks of Being a Wallflower.
This was a outstanding film! Even if you dont normally watch coming of age dramas, this needs to be seen. So sad and happy at the same time. You really feel for Charlie and get into his world. The writing and direction are very good and the star of the show is Logan Lerman! His performance is truly amazing and should have got at least a Oscar nod! Emma Stone was also very good in it. 8/10

I saw this at the cinema, it's a really good film, I wasn't prepared for the end though, I had to pretend like I wasn't crying in public haha.

Nordicdusk 9th February 2013 03:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 99533

Slippery Jack 9th February 2013 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delirium (Post 320366)
As much as I love Toby Jones, I found his creepy and lecherous portrayal of Hitch in The Girl to be exceedingly cynical and caricatured. Not Jones' fault, I'm sure, and he was no doubt directed that way - they obviously intended Hitchcock to be played as a lascivious old perv. It was, after all, Tippi Hedren's version of events. It also didn't surprise me that it resulted in outcry from a number of ex-Hitch actresses. The fact is it made bold claims without offering much in the way of insight, reasoning or balance. I don't mind seeing a darker side of Hitch, but The Girl felt like a cheap way to make a quick buck by milking the word of an actress who has decided to 'out' a director who can no longer defend himself; a build up of rumour and conjecture.

Yeah, I never viewed The Girl as a realistic depiction of events, more a kind of nightmarish, almost Lynchian fantasy. A bit like a non fiction version of We Need to Talk About Kevin, where everything if skewed through the mind of the embittered lead actress, in effect making it fiction :lol: ! I think that was the key to my enjoyment of it. Like that recreation of Tippi's screentest, which is easily viewable on youtube. The film version drastically alters what actually occurred, turning a charming Martin Balsam into (another) slimy old fat man! It's such a blatant disregard for the reality, captured on film. There has to be a reason behind that decision . . .

gag 9th February 2013 05:34 PM

Im just starting my way throught the hanzo trilogy again and then eventualy the Babycart series because ive never seen any apart from shogun assasin.
Ive also to buy the lady snowblood as well, Apart from these can anyone recommend me other types of films or tv series like these because i like these style and type of films,

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 9th February 2013 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 320405)
Im just starting my way throught the hanzo trilogy again and then eventualy the Babycart series because ive never seen any apart from shogun assasin.
Ive also to buy the lady snowblood as well, Apart from these can anyone recommend me other types of films or tv series like these because i like these style and type of films,

Sex and Fury is essential. :nod:

Slippery Jack 9th February 2013 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 320408)
Sex and Fury is essential. :nod:

Slow-mo topless laydee sword fighting :cool: . . .

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th February 2013 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delirium (Post 320366)
Hitchcock

. And for an iconic a character as old Hitch, that's really quite unfortunate.

I only saw the Toby Jones film and came to the conclusion that despite all the bluster, Hitchcock the film maker is a lot more interesting than Hitchcock the person and the docudrama just made me want to see The Birds again rather than another film about the man, which i understand is based on a novel about the making of Psycho.

SShaw 9th February 2013 06:46 PM

I watched the Ford brother's The Dead which had completely passed me by previously. I really liked it - heres hoping there sequel gets off the ground.

Nordicdusk 9th February 2013 06:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 99546

The animation is fantastic but the story is a little weak there is also some great music. Well worth a watch for the animation alone.

trebor8273 9th February 2013 07:13 PM

What's Ed Wood like never seen this and I'm a big fan of burton and bill Murray

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 9th February 2013 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 320439)
What's Ed Wood like never seen this and I'm a big fan of burton and bill Murray

Ed Wood is actually one of my favourite Burton films. Bill Murray isn't in it much (although his performance is pretty memorable).

trebor8273 9th February 2013 08:04 PM

Just finished witchcraft which starred the Hoff and Linda Blair and it was pretty dire, it's saying a lot when the Hoff was probably the best actor in the film.

Now watching the dead zone.

Spooky at the beginning Christopher Walken character is reading sleep hollow!!!

tele1962 9th February 2013 08:09 PM

Paranoman 3D Blu Ray...........fell asleep half way through. I will try again when i am less tired.:)

Delirium 9th February 2013 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 320415)
I only saw the Toby Jones film and came to the conclusion that despite all the bluster, Hitchcock the film maker is a lot more interesting than Hitchcock the person and the docudrama just made me want to see The Birds again rather than another film about the man, which i understand is based on a novel about the making of Psycho.

Yeah, I haven't read the book, but both of them left me want to re-watch the films too; which is timely as the Girlfriend (who watched both The Girl and Hitchcock with me) has never seen a single Hitchcock film! She's only ever seen the Psycho remake, which I keep telling her is sacrilege and a HUGE misfire - even though I tend to really like Gus Van Sant as a rule (at least his earlier stuff).

Still, I have the Hitch Blu Boxset ready and waiting.

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th February 2013 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delirium (Post 320480)

Still, I have the Hitch Blu Boxset ready and waiting.

I hope your girlfriend loves them, on the whole its a terrific box set.

I did find Topaz and Torn Curtain less interesting than the others in the set and both were pretty dull in comparison.