Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179784Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th March 2020, 08:52 PM
Cult Acolyte

QUO VADIS (1951)

Roman General Marcus Vinicius (Robert Taylor) and Christian girl Lygia (Deborah Kerr) fall in love against a backdrop of the mad Emperor Nero and his plans to burn Rome to the ground and build a new city. When Rome burns, Nero blames the Christians..

Epic spectacular. Great cast and a excellent soundtrack by Miklos Rozsa.
Colourful, exciting story with a message.
Excellent.
Old 18th March 2020, 09:27 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Yellowbrickroad (2010, Andy Mitton/ Jesse Holland)

After a strange event in the 40s, a mismatched group try to "follow in their footsteps" . Moral being .... be careful what you wish for ... quite annoying in places logically. Unrecommended

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 18th March 2020, 09:33 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Yellowbrickroad (2010, Andy Mitton/ Jesse Holland)

After a strange event in the 40s, a mismatched group try to "follow in their footsteps" . Moral being .... be careful what you wish for ... quite annoying in places logically. Unrecommended
I found this a very frustrating film at the time. Don't remember a single thing about it now.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 18th March 2020, 09:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I found this a very frustrating film at the time. Don't remember a single thing about it now.
I can see why. Lawdy twas just not "quite there", if that makes any sense

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 18th March 2020, 09:55 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Seeing as I’m pretty much in quarantine at the minute, I decided to watch the entire extended version of The Lord of the Rings on blu ray today. Stuck the first disc in at 9am and after taking breaks for cigs and food it took me a little under 13 hours to watch all 686 minutes.
Still think they’re masterpieces of cinema
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 18th March 2020, 11:12 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Shakma. 1990.

A baboon is given a experimental drug to reduce aggression that has a opposite effect. Some students and their teacher play a role game in the same building are locked in when the baboon Shakma escapes and hunts them down.

This is a very cheesy, entertaining horror flick, it may not be the best but certainly enjoyable, it has its moments of laughter and the screaming out thinking of all the bad decisions can be made in one film. Roddy McDowell plays the teacher who is always on top form with his role. Christopher Atkins plays the reluctant hero who seems to understand the anger of Shakma and stop the baboon and add a bit of small romance with Ari Meyers.

MV5BZGI1ODM5NTItMzYyNi00ZmYxLWJhM2ItMzZlYTQxNGM2YWFlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDIzNDExOQ@@._V1_.jpg
Old 19th March 2020, 09:33 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Moon 2009 ★★★★½

Adapted from a story by Duncan Jones and directed by him, Moon is the directorial debut of the man known to most as Zowie Bowie. Moving away from his famous father’s name, presumably to make his own and not be accused of riding on coat tails, he wrote the screenplay specifically for Sam Rockwell to play the lead as they had previously tried to collaborate but couldn’t agree. After some negotiations and the finished screenplay being written by Nathan Parker, Rockwell signed on the dotted line.

Rockwell plays Sam Bell, an astronaut alone on the moon keeping an eye on the four harvesters which patrol the surface collecting helium 3, which now, cleanly and efficiently, provides most of Earth’s power. Bell has to monitor the machines and collect the full canisters and send them on to Earth. To help keep him sane and run the base, he has Gerty, an AI computer system that is there to monitor the base and serve Sam’s interests.

With the live communication feed to Earth down, Sam must rely on delayed messages that he sends to his wife and child, and receives back, along with other things like recordings of football games. The company are also monitoring him and send their own missives to make sure that he’s alright and the operation is running smoothly. However, after spending nearly three years alone on the base and nearing the end of his contract, Sam’s sanity is stretching to breaking point and he begins having visions of his daughter. One of these occurs when he is approaching one of the giant harvesters and results in an accident.

Waking up in the infirmary, he is told by Gerty that he is alright but may have suffered some slight brain damage which could explain his memory loss. Keen to find out what happened and how he got back, he tricks the computer into lifting the lockdown placed on the base by his superiors and let him out to inspect non-existent exterior damage. Travelling to the crashed vehicle Bell makes a strange discovery, a man who looks exactly like him, and this has far reaching consequences for both of them.

I heard good things about Moon before I saw it at the cinema, in a small independent arthouse theatre, as it wasn’t shown in the multiplexes near me and was very impressed by what I saw. My opinion hasn’t changed after watching it at home as it is an intelligent and thought-provoking science fiction film with echoes of 2001: A Space Odyssey, Outland and Silent Running. Jones pays homage to all the films and directors that have inspired him, though you need to look carefully for most of them.

As independent films go, this is excellent and when you consider that it is a debut work and was made for only $5 million (compared to Sunshine which had a $50 million budget), it makes it even more of an achievement. Gathering a good cast, led by Sam Rockwell and Kevin Spacey (who voices Gerty), Jones has made a very impressive film that improves with repeated viewings. Rockwell’s performance is quite extraordinary, quite possibly the best of his career, and Spacey’s voice is perfectly suited to a monotone computer who you’re never quite sure if it is benign or malign. Moon was one of the best British films of 2009 and amongst the best sci-fi movies of this century.

Old 19th March 2020, 09:39 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Great review Nos!!

Digging it out ....

[B]
Old 19th March 2020, 11:42 AM
Cult Acolyte

spy_smasher_poster_01.jpg
SPY SMASHER (1942)
REPUBLIC SERIAL 12 CHAPTERS

Comic book hero Spy Smasher goes to war with 'The Mask', a Nazi who intends to destroy the economy, and then aircraft and munitions headed for Britain.
Energetic movie serial with some good cliifhangers and an explosive finale.
Old 19th March 2020, 02:06 PM
Cult Veteran

Dragon Blade (2015)

Do you know what, it wasn't bad actually! John Cusack wasn't right for the role of a Roman general and he did have the look of someone who had no idea what was going on, but otherwise an enjoayable historical drama.

A Roman legion turns up outside of a Chinese run city on the Silk Road looking for food and shelter, one of the party being the small and sickly child of an assassinated Consul of Rome. What follows is the tale of a new friendship between cultures, treachery and revenge! There is plenty of action and acrobatic fight scenes and also a bit of the famous Jackie Chan comedy!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Like this? Share it using the links below!