Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179627Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th September 2020, 10:00 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Has anyone been to the Cinema lately? I quite want to go and see Tenet but I'm also a bit nervous about it...
Funny enough, I went to the cinema today with my kid (first time he went to the cinema), you need to use mask outside the screening room, but inside you don't need a mask - I bought my tickets online, and was quiet clear that social distance was in place, everyone around was behaving with a mask and following social distance before enter the room.. but again, was a kid's movie lol.
Old 8th September 2020, 11:33 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveyard View Post
Funny enough, I went to the cinema today with my kid (first time he went to the cinema), you need to use mask outside the screening room, but inside you don't need a mask - I bought my tickets online, and was quiet clear that social distance was in place, everyone around was behaving with a mask and following social distance before enter the room.. but again, was a kid's movie lol.
What movie did you go to see?
Old 8th September 2020, 11:55 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Fifth Element. 1997.

In the distant future, a ex soldier now cab driver becomes a unlikely hero when he helps a cloned woman to accomplish a mission and save the world.

From visionary film director Luc Besson comes this colourful science fiction film with action, romance and comedy, Ian Holm plays the cardinal who knows the story on the Fifth Element and mythical things. Gary Oldman does do his best as the evil Zorg who has done a deal to get the stones in question. Bruce Willis plays the reluctant hero and Milla Jovovich as the DNA clone Leeloo who is on the mission for the stones,

The special effects in this are amazing as it is like looking at something that came from a comic book and something you didn't expect to come out of the 90s. Chris Tucker provides most of the laughs as the loud mouth DJ and his flamboyant costumes and a small appearance by Lee Evans. This is a film i can never get bored of watching.

fifth-element-1.jpg
Old 9th September 2020, 09:29 AM
Cult Acolyte

1217.jpg
THE VALLEY OF GWANGI (1969)

Another of Ray Harryhausen's early dreams come to fruition as cowboys from a wild west show find a forbidden valley of prehistoric creatures.
This is great stuff and once again follows the pattern of a creature that pays the ultimate price as the greed of man takes it out of it's natural enviroment.
Old 9th September 2020, 11:47 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post

Some like 'em, some hate 'em.
For me, pure popcorn entertainment.
Love the video game accurate Jill Valentine in 'Apocalypse.. Jill sadly missing from 'The Final Chapter'.
All the movies are great fun but I really like 'Apocalypse' and 'Afterlife'.
I really like this series too, but my least enjoyable movies are 'Apocalypse' and 'Afterlife' I think 'Extinction' is my favourite!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 9th September 2020, 11:51 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I really like this series too, but my least enjoyable movies are 'Apocalypse' and 'Afterlife' I think 'Extinction' is my favourite!
I didn't have high hope's for Extinction but it surprised me, I'm not a fan of The Final Chapter tbh
Justin101 likes this.
Old 9th September 2020, 03:22 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Phantasm (1979) ★★★★

I've no idea how to describe the appeal of Phantasm – it's a low-budget film with a bizarre and barely coherent story which it would be difficult to tell without sounding silly, committed (though often unconvincing) performances, and both jumps and laughs.

It's a film which I like because it is so quirky; the story is so unusual that it really draws you in and that's when the atmosphere and technical expertise become evident, and the whole thing moves along at a good rate

I think the film works *because* of its shortcomings, not despite them, as it wouldn't be the same with a more straightforward and roopfilled storyline, 'regular' characters (how many films have an ice cream man a s a protagonist?) and polished performances from an all-star cast.

Rotten Tomatoes describe the Phantasm series as "endearingly idiosyncratic", a phrase which I think perfectly describes the films.
Old 9th September 2020, 03:24 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Phantasm II (1988) ★★★

Replacing A. Michael Baldwin with James LeGros gives us a new Mike one who looks and behaves differently, particularly with his prophetic nightmares and a psychic bond of some sort with a young woman called Liz Reynolds.

The plot, such as it is, involves Mike and Reggie plundered graveyards as the Tall Man continues to assemble a collection of dwarf zombie slaves to work on his home planet, and it's up to our protagonists to stop him.

This has some of the surrealism and anxiety dream feel of the first film, but it's a tough film to like because it doesn't have the same level of atmosphere or claustrophobia (the single location being replaced by a road trip completely alters the tone).

Although Baldwin isn't the world's greatest thespian, he's a better actor than LeGros and the film suffers because I didn't find this Mike particularly believable. I really like the innovative use of the spheres, whether they are pinning a hand to a door or burrowing all the way through someone's body, from the small of the back to their mouth. In this sense, Coscarelli has really upped the gore factor.

It's a very easy film to watch and the sequences with power tools, a crematorium furnace, and dimension portals are very entertaining. It neatly cues up a third instalment which I'll probably watch tonight.
Old 9th September 2020, 04:34 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Lisa and The Devil, 1973.

A American tourist in Spain looses her way and sees a man that resembles the devil in a painting, she invited to a house owned by a blind woman and enters a world of fantasy and horror.

I reviewed this earlier in the year under The House of Exorcism that was badly edited and had a alternate ending obviously to cash in on The Exorcist, this was the version that is to see. Elke Sommer plays the American tourist lost in Spain that is taking to a villa. Telly Savalas plays the butler who seems friendly but also like to try and play mind games and alter the truth. This had more suspense in than the alternate version, it doesn't rely on jump scares but good acting to make the film more sinister.

maxresdefault.jpg
Old 9th September 2020, 05:53 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
The Fifth Element. 1997.

In the distant future, a ex soldier now cab driver becomes a unlikely hero when he helps a cloned woman to accomplish a mission and save the world.

From visionary film director Luc Besson comes this colourful science fiction film with action, romance and comedy, Ian Holm plays the cardinal who knows the story on the Fifth Element and mythical things. Gary Oldman does do his best as the evil Zorg who has done a deal to get the stones in question. Bruce Willis plays the reluctant hero and Milla Jovovich as the DNA clone Leeloo who is on the mission for the stones,

The special effects in this are amazing as it is like looking at something that came from a comic book and something you didn't expect to come out of the 90s. Chris Tucker provides most of the laughs as the loud mouth DJ and his flamboyant costumes and a small appearance by Lee Evans. This is a film i can never get bored of watching.

Attachment 227549
What is the best current Bluray version of this film, picture/sound quality more important than extras as preference, and not UHD/4K .... please.

Like this? Share it using the links below!