Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179627Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd January 2021, 08:00 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

My favourite Dracula film isn't the same one that I think is the best one, the one I like the most is Francis Ford Coppola's version, but the one(s) I think are the best, 1931 or 1957!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 22nd January 2021, 09:24 AM
Cult Acolyte

fame-cinema-quad-movie-poster-(2).jpg
FAME (1980)

Following the lives of students at the High School of Performing Arts in New York. Taking in the auditions through to the senior year.
As the film progresses, there is humour but we also see the hardships faced by the students.
Good songs here, notable is the 'Hot Lunch Jam' in which the students spontaneously burst in to music and dance in the lunch room and the 'Fame' song which sees the students spill out on to the streets to dance.
Old 22nd January 2021, 10:41 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinnashsear View Post
OK, I think this might be one of the most unpopular opinions I've ever posted but I hated this. I thought Lugosi was terrible and Frye I couldn't take seriously at all. I laughed out loud quite a few times at how bad I thought it was. I also found it incredibly boring and thought the ending was massively anti climatic. My mate nearly disowned me when I told him this. Please don't hate me. And be gentle.
I don't hate it but it's not one i choose to watch very often either.
trebor8273 and MrBarlow like this.
Old 22nd January 2021, 01:13 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
My favourite Dracula film isn't the same one that I think is the best one, the one I like the most is Francis Ford Coppola's version, but the one(s) I think are the best, 1931 or 1957!
The Coppola version is derided because it subverts the novel to provide some redemption for Dracula. I agree with that criticism but taken on its own level and what it sets out to achieve, its undeniably, hugely entertaining.
Justin101, trebor8273 and MrBarlow like this.
Old 22nd January 2021, 03:24 PM
Cult Acolyte

The best version of Dracula for me is the the BBC 1977 'Count Dracula'.
Old 22nd January 2021, 04:39 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post
The best version of Dracula for me is the the BBC 1977 'Count Dracula'.
Agreed. Louis Jourdan is excellent.

It's not my favourite Dracula film though. That honour still lies with Taste the Blood of Dracula and the 1957 Dracula...depending on which i watched last.

My favourite Frankenstein adaptation is probably different to most - The Hallmark Channels's mini series from 2004 starring Luke Goss as the monster. It's the most faithful version i've seen.

Again, my favourite Frankenstein films are the classic Universal Frankenstein as well as Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed.
Old 22nd January 2021, 05:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Brides of Dracula. 1960.

A young woman on her way to a school to teach, takes up residency at the Chateau Meinster, when she sees a young man on the balcony below her window, she goes to help him and is told he is mad and has to be locked up and shackled. When she sets him free unaware she has released evil in to the village.

Dracula is dead, but his disciples life on in the form of the Baron Meinster played by David Peel. His performance did start off decently as he is introduced but as the film went on it became more wooden and boring to the point of thinking "just shut the hell up".

Yvonne Monlaur plays the young french teacher Marinne Danielle who succumbs to the seduction of the Baron, who seems to spend most of her time stupidly wandering into dangerous situations, acceptable in some cases, but in this film it just makes you question what level of intelligence they were trying to impart to her character.

Peter Cushing reprises his role as Doctor Van Helsing who battled Dracula in the previous film now to take on a younger Vampire, Peter Cushing seems more energetic in this film and manages to make a cross appear in the form of a windmill, a man that thinks on his feet. Michael Ripper and Miles Malleson make a small appearance. This is still worthy of the hammer horror right from the opening credits and score which makes it more haunting and the Gothic castle, thankfully Christopher Lee returned to the role of Dracula.

brides-of-dracula-poster.jpg
Old 22nd January 2021, 07:45 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

State Of Emergency. 2011.

After a disused chemical plant explodes and releases a toxin in the air turning people in surrounding towns in to zombies four people hold up in a factory band together to survive and wait to be rescued.

This is a bit of a slow burner but a interesting one as well as it does focus more on the characters and the build up on who can you trust in a apocalypse and can strangers be trusted.

Filmed on a low budget don't expect it to be like Dawn of the dead or The Crazies, as the mutated people are stretched out and are few in between with some small blood splatter. The film does go back and forth a but with people's lives before the accident and after, there is some tense moments, go into a open mind and don't focus on other zombie flicks with this.

MV5BMTg5MDY4MzgwOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzE1NDE4OA@@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,707,1000_AL_.jpg
Old 22nd January 2021, 08:41 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A mixed bag.

Demons 2

Ah, it looks bonny this time. Nice and clear. Grotty AF as ever, this one I've watched on and off a lot over time. Rhodes is entertainment personified as always.

Blue Monkey (1987, William Fruet)

If you know the name, you'll know what to expect. Steve Railsback and John Vernon? Ahem. Rather apt that I watched this now as tis tangentially relevant cough slightly ahem. A lot of fun, a bizarre blend of genres cough.

Zombie 5: Killing Birds (1987, Claude Milliken)

Finally got to see this entry. Not as crazed as the opening suggests it will be ahem. Somewhat sluggish, even for this series cough, but the deaths were reasonably nasty. Vaughn must have filmed his scenes in about 2 hours tee hee.
Will revisit more than likely.

Mad Max (1979, George Miller)

"I wanna know what you're doin' ..."
The economy of the structure of this film is still a joy to behold. Not a trace of fat.
HKB a joy to watch, just on the right side of camp, but never losing the menace etc .
Another bonny looking print, the sweat on the cops neck at the start etc etc.
Musn't leave it so long again.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 22nd January 2021, 08:57 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Visiting Hours

Michael Ironside is the deranged killer who is stalking a TV Host after he puts her in Hospital. William Shatner co-stars. This film was entertaining but it felt a little disjointed for me therefore it doesn't quite reach the heights of being one of the top Slasher Movies. But it was close.

Hard Way

James Woods is the grumpy Cop who has to take Film Star, Michael J. Fox around with him for research purposes whilst hunting Killer, Stephen Lang. A quite entertaining Film from the early 90's.

Killer Crocodile 2

Another giant Crocodile is stalking a river which is polluted by Nuclear Waste. Decent fodder.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vh.jpg (11.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg hw.jpg (12.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg kc2.jpg (16.0 KB, 6 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!