Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

sawyer6 2nd May 2013 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 339013)
I'd definitely recommend checking out The Exterminating Angel and Simon of the Desert.

Los Olvidados too

Bringer Of Funerals 2nd May 2013 04:04 PM

Torment by Ingmar Bergman

Its about a teacher who likes to bully his students and they are scared of him. Its a drama about school life and its low and high lives of its students

Metallicbomb 2nd May 2013 04:30 PM

Over The Last Week I've Watched
Scooby-Doo On Zombie Island
Scooby-Doo & The Witches Ghost
Scooby-Doo & The Alien Invaders
Scooby-Doo & The Cyber Chase
Toy Story
Toy Story 2
and something a little less child-friendly
Zombieland (For about the 5th time since it came out:coolblue:)
:popcorn::pop2::popcorn::pop2:

Demoncrat 2nd May 2013 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeyscreams (Post 338906)

Phantom Of Liberty as well.....

Rik 2nd May 2013 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metallicbomb (Post 339042)
Zombieland (For about the 5th time since it came out:coolblue:)
:popcorn::pop2::popcorn::pop2:

I reckon I've watched it 5 times this year already :lol:

Metallicbomb 2nd May 2013 05:26 PM

For me there is very few films i can watch that many times (5 in half a year) i like to watch a film then wait at least a year till i watch it again:).

Rik 2nd May 2013 05:29 PM

I may have exaggerated a little bit, I've definitely seen it at least 3 times since Xmas though

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 2nd May 2013 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeyscreams (Post 338906)
would like to see more Bunuel. Recommendations are welcome.

You should definitely check out The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie, Viridiana and The Exterminating Angel. Other films like Diary of a Chambermaid, That Obscure Object of Desire and Tristana are also highly recommended.

SShaw 2nd May 2013 09:19 PM

Found footage super hero movie Chronicle. The extended edition, although I am not sure the additional material really helps.

troggi 2nd May 2013 10:28 PM

"Sir Henry at Rawlinson End"http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

Where should I start? Oh, all righty, DO NOT WATCH THIS FILM IF YOU ARE EASILY OFFENDED!!! Is that clear enough? Jolly good.

I loved this film when I first saw it in the dim and distant past when you had to leave your seat to turn the television on, off, over, up or down (only exercise some buggers got but it kept the obesity levels down). Like me it's showin' it's age now but it is still an enjoyable, surreal, sepia-toned glimpse at a world that never was, except in the head of the late, great Vivian Stanshall.

This kind of film is a thing of the past, it should be assessed by experts on the "Antiques Roadshow" along with other examples of British film-making at it's weirdly best; "If", "The Ruling Class", "The Magic Christian", "Britannia Hospital", "A Clockwork Orange", "The Final Program".

Definitely NOT for the Politically Correct!

You have been warned!:decision:

Susan Foreman 2nd May 2013 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troggi (Post 339134)
"Sir Henry at Rawlinson End"http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

Where should I start? Oh, all righty, DO NOT WATCH THIS FILM IF YOU ARE EASILY OFFENDED!!! Is that clear enough? Jolly good.

I loved this film when I first saw it in the dim and distant past when you had to leave your seat to turn the television on, off, over, up or down (only exercise some buggers got but it kept the obesity levels down). Like me it's showin' it's age now but it is still an enjoyable, surreal, sepia-toned glimpse at a world that never was, except in the head of the late, great Vivian Stanshall.

This kind of film is a thing of the past, it should be assessed by experts on the "Antiques Roadshow" along with other examples of British film-making at it's weirdly best; "If", "The Ruling Class", "The Magic Christian", "Britannia Hospital", "A Clockwork Orange", "The Final Program".

There is a good commentary with this one, pointing out a LOT of things that are happening in the background of scenes

JoshuaKaitlyn 2nd May 2013 11:17 PM

From 1935:
Legong: Dance of the Virgins One of the last silent pictures produced in the 30's. It was interesting.
Triumph of the Will Fascinating slice of history!
Becky Sharp Frankly boring!
Les Misérables Not the best adaptation I've seen but Charles Laughton is easily one of the best actors of the decade!

http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/memb...tml#post339149

J Harker 2nd May 2013 11:24 PM

Quote:

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"]Where should I start? Oh, all righty, DO NOT WATCH THIS FILM IF YOU ARE EASILY OFFENDED!!! Is that clear enough? Jolly good.

I loved this film when I first saw it in the dim and distant past when you had to leave your seat to turn the television on, off, over, up or down (only exercise some buggers got but it kept the obesity levels down).

I remembe when I were a wee lad having a telly you couldn't change the channel on. That was done via a dial on the wall, in the other room at one point. Redifusion that were called.

troggi 3rd May 2013 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 339145)
There is a good commentary with this one, pointing out a LOT of things that are happening in the background of scenes

Thank you Suzi. I just wanted to warn folk that it "hails from a different era" that, although not distant in time, is a million miles away ethically, morally and politically and not to be afraid to laugh if they find it funny, like I do!:lol:

keirarts 3rd May 2013 07:05 AM

IP MAN: Excellent Kung fu biopic, possibly the best martial arts film i've seen in quite a while. Donnie yen is fantastic.

SIGHTSEERS: Genius black comedy from the director of KILL LIST. Really darkly funny. Strangely it had me yearning to get a driver's liscence and get a camper van, (not a caravan mind, their a bloody hazard!) always enjoyed touring the uk.

BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA: Classic carpenter riff on kung fu movies with Kurt Russell as the greenhorn in way over his head (and doing a great john wayne impersonation in the process) Fantastic movie that still holds up well to this day. Interesting to see Kim cattrall before she looked like a handbag.

Rik 3rd May 2013 09:49 AM

I watched Big Trouble too on Tuesday, one of my favourite childhood films, I can pretty much quote it verbatim.
Checked out the Zombieland pilot last night, it's not actually that bad, quite funny actually, yeah it's not a patch on the film, but it was never gonna be

antmumford 3rd May 2013 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 339183)
I watched Big Trouble too on Tuesday, one of my favourite childhood films, I can pretty much quote it verbatim.
Checked out the Zombieland pilot last night, it's not actually that bad, quite funny actually, yeah it's not a patch on the film, but it was never gonna be

I'm with you on this one Rik, I thought the Zombieland pilot was quite funny, and certainly enjoyable. I'd like to see more and see where it goes

gag 3rd May 2013 04:39 PM

The Sweeney,

I went into this open minded and didn't compare it to the tv show personally I thought it was terrible didn't rate it at all, when something was happening it just come across as dull and boring, love ray winston as actor but for some reason felt like he wasn't playing the part seriously thought he was terrible and bit uptight in the role, and was pretty bad acting in this, felt it didnt have any edge to it and something was missing but not sure what, thumbs down on this one for me even if it was just a film on it own rights and not based off anything.

SocialNightmare 3rd May 2013 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 336945)
Same here thought it was good, now this is the type of film where you are quite happy with the remake, if only remakes where as good as this,

Agreed watched it last night actually surprised myself, really enjoyed it .. conclusion i'm a bit of a movie snob as i refused to go with my boy to see it in the cinema as Karate Kid was a fave when i was young and i didn't want it ruined :behindsofa:

Hawkmonger 3rd May 2013 09:46 PM

Saw it. REALLY enjoyed it. Hilarious twist with The Manderin, clever integration of multiple sources, depth to action sequences. Top dollar. A pop corn film with a bit more brains (just a few cells). Go out and watch it. Oh, and I too enjoyed the suit jumps. It's fan wankery and it does it's job.

So! When do we get Deaths Head in a Marvel movie?

Slippery Jack 3rd May 2013 10:03 PM

I've got the X-Files film on in my hotel room. Happy memories. Remember loving this to bits when I saw it at the cinema (and later treasured my WH Smiths Exclusive numbered card box VHS :lol:). Still holds up today, though the plot falls to pieces if you stop to think about it for a second. Love Mark Snow's score here - you can tell he had fun having the budget to play with a full orchestra instead of his usual tv synths . . .

Slippery Jack 3rd May 2013 10:06 PM

...and just noticed, Lucas TOTALLY ripped of the ending of this for the last Indy film :nod: . . .

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd May 2013 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 339301)
I've got the X-Files film on in my hotel room. Happy memories. Remember loving this to bits when I saw it at the cinema (and later treasured my WH Smiths Exclusive numbered card box VHS :lol:). Still holds up today, though the plot falls to pieces if you stop to think about it for a second. Love Mark Snow's score here - you can tell he had fun having the budget to play with a full orchestra instead of his usual tv synths . . .

You're in a hotel room watching The X-Files. :eyebrows:

I bet Mulder and Scully aren't in it. :blush:

PaulD 3rd May 2013 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 339308)
You're in a hotel room watching The X-Files. :eyebrows:

I bet Mulder and Scully aren't in it. :blush:

The XXX Files isn't it? Starring F-cks Mulder and Dana Skanky.

SShaw 3rd May 2013 11:15 PM

This evening I watched my Bluray of Brutal. A pretty run of the mill New Yoik crime thriller in which a group of friends get in a little deeper than they intended when they decide to rob an illegal bookies as revenge for a run in with the owner. It is quite grim in places and never really lifts itself above the average. Worth seeing once, but I am not sure if it is strong enough to warrant a second viewing.

Demoncrat 4th May 2013 09:18 AM

Quote:

"If I had all the money I'd spent on drink....I'd spend it on drink!!"

Great choice T!!

Susan Foreman 4th May 2013 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 339347)
"If I had all the money I'd spent on drink....I'd spend it on drink!!

That's going to be on my tombstone:

"Susan Jackson
04-12-19XX - XXXX [Fill in your own date of when you want me to die!]
May she rest in peace and happiness

"If I had all the money I'd spent on drink....I'd spend it on drink!!"
"Blimey - wearing this underwear is just like sitting on cheese wire!!!"

Much missed and loved by everyone

And I mean EVERYONE"

Please, raise a glass and have a drink to my memory - especially at my pub. We need all the trade we can get at the moment!!!!!

gag 4th May 2013 10:26 AM

Spiderhole, when I've never heard a film or know nothing about it I'm always undecided if to watch them or not, years ago if you did chances are it turned out to be a good film, now I find its more likely to be not, that's the sole purpose of why I'm dubious of a film I know nothing about, any how I watched it and must admit it turned out quite decent a film that's got a story plays on atmosphere and tension, and doesn't relie to much on violence and gore, but yes there is some but it not much, either way I tried googling it and and its Daniel simpson debut film, And if his other films are anything as decent as this maybe he could be someone to watch out for.

Nordicdusk 4th May 2013 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 339315)
The XXX Files isn't it? Starring F-cks Mulder and Dana Skanky.

You know too much :lol:

demonknight 4th May 2013 02:30 PM

Watched Evil Dead 2 Bluray last night and all of the extras.
Movie still holds up well after twenty five years. Amazing set
of extras, especially the new material. The Swallowed Souls
documentary was just brilliant. Have From Beyond, Halloween
3 and Knightriders Blurays lined up for next weekend. Groovy.

gag 4th May 2013 06:52 PM

Maniac remake, at first I thought Elijah woods was a strange choice but proved me wrong I Actualy thought he played the part quite well, another remake that's a joy to watch but then again I'm no fan of the original.

Rik 4th May 2013 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 339508)
Maniac remake, at first I thought Elijah woods was a strange choice but proved me wrong I Actualy thought he played the part quite well, another remake that's a joy to watch but then again I'm no fan of the original.

I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it too, and I am a fan of the original :nod:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 5th May 2013 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 339512)
I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it too, and I am a fan of the original :nod:

Yeah, me too. I've just finished watching this and thought it was excellent.

Susan Foreman 5th May 2013 08:24 AM

'Hospital Massacre' (aka 'X-Ray')

Is this how the actual trailer ran at the time, or has the music been put on after the event?

X-Ray (Hospital Massacre - 1982) - YouTube

Andra Jai 5th May 2013 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 339508)

might give this a go then if its getting some recommendations here.

I watched Drive last night and really enjoyed it, although the soundtrack may have helped seeing it was like something straight out of the 1980's. Just got to hunt down the elusive steelbook now which wont be cheap.

SShaw 5th May 2013 08:34 AM

Iron Man 3 at the cinema. I found this movie to be very flat and it didn't really engage me. I have not seen the two previous installments, and based on this entry I see no real reason to seek them out.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 5th May 2013 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SShaw (Post 339585)
Iron Man 3 at the cinema. I found this movie to be very flat and it didn't really engage me. I have not seen the two previous installments, and based on this entry I see no real reason to seek them out.

I wouldn't waste your time. I haven't seen the third installment, but found the previous two entries to be very bland and generic. I don't get the love for these films at all.

Rik 5th May 2013 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 338230)
The Lords of Salem (2012)

As one of horror's new generation of directors, Rob Zombie's films, along with those directed by Adam Green and Eli Roth, will always divide opinion and come under heavy scrutiny among horror fans. Personally i love House of 1000 Corpses and its sequel The Devils' Rejects. Halloween i liked, especially its opening hour, however i found H2 to be a huige disappointment.

So where would Zombie go from here? The Lords of Salem is the answer. A film unlike anything that came before it from the former White Zombie frontman.

One of the main questions i had was whether its star, Zombie's wife, and a regular in all his movies, Sherri Moon Zombie could make the step up from support player to leading lady. Thankfully the answer is a resounding yes. Moon makes the transition with ease and gives a measured, mature performance at the centre of the film as Heidi, one of a trio of local, late night rock dj's. Heidi takes home an odd looking record, sent to the station which when played sends out the message that "The Lords are coming" and seems to trigger halucinations of Salem's violent past. From here Rob Zombie takes the film in a direction reminiscent of Rosemary's Baby and The Sentinel as it becomes increasingly likely that Heidi is an innocent soon to be at the heart of something evil.

The Lords of Salem is a film unlike anything the director had previously put his name to. Gone are the heavy handed gore and shock tactics. The film builds at a slow, intriguing pace, heavy on atmosphere, partially created by the cool yellow hue Zombie gives his night time scenes. As previously mentioned the gore is practically non-existant which to me makes the story more believable and allows it to breathe without the viewer waiting for the next bloody kill, therefore allowing the feeling of impending dread to build significantly. I suppose if i was to compare Lords to anything then Ti West's The House of the Devil would be an obvious choice. Naturally Rob can't resist the wierd and wonderful for the entire film. He adds flourishes of colour to The Lords of Salem in spades in the form of flashbacks to the 1692 witch trials and the alleged horrors that built up to them in the form of nightmarish scenarios that may or may not be Heid's dreams.

Rob Zombie gives a lot of screen time to veteran actresses Judy Geeson, Dee Wallace and Patricia Quinn who Hammer fans may remember as a witch in the Hammer House of Horrors episode Witching Time. The three all revel n their roles and its wonderful to see them seemingly having so much fun in meaty, integral roles in a genre film.

In The Lords of Salem Rob Zombie takes his film making in an adventurous, bold new direction and i hope it goes down as well with the horror community as it did with me.

Watched it last night, and really enjoyed it, shame the DVD has no extras :(

SocialNightmare 5th May 2013 09:38 AM

Seen Iron Man 3 at the cinema yesterday, i personally loved it , great fun very light hearted and some pretty decent laugh out loud moments thrown in too, loved Ben Kingsley he played his role brilliantly, yep the film heads down the farcical lane quite a bit which is probably why some purists are a bit peeved but my 14 yr old boy thought it was brilliant, quoting him " well better than Avengers Assemble and TDKR" << money well spent imo :pop2::pop2:

Bringer Of Funerals 5th May 2013 10:44 AM

Basic Instinct - last night on ITV