All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th November 2021, 07:19 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

IN THE EARTH-Ben Wheatley's latest.......thoughts folks?
Demoncrat and nicholasrope like this.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 10th November 2021, 07:25 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Neeeds a rewatch. I was a bit pissed when I watched it ahem. Did like certain things.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 10th November 2021, 08:09 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Frightened Lady. 1940.

'Marks Priory' a house to a wealthy family, Ilsa Crane who is the niece of Lady Lebanon and also secretary feels something is off with the house, staff and family who have many secrets.

A typical Gothic style mansion with a eccentric family that keep things close in relations and secrets very close to themselves, I have never seen this and this was a decent crime thriller with a somewhat strange twist. Bodies seem to be piling up around the estate of the house but nobody seems to know except the police who have a suspect then things go back to square one. There is good suspense added in, one I would recommend.

MV5BOTc2ZjQ0NTYtNjI1Ni00YjFhLThkY2EtMGNmODdlOGMzNzMzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjc0MzMzNjA@._V1_FMjpg_UX100.jpg
Old 10th November 2021, 08:44 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Eddie Murphy plays Axel Forley a streetwise Detroit cop who goes to Beverly Hills to investigate the death of a friend which is linked too a prominent art dealer. Still funny after all these years thanks to Murphy's performance along with trading places one of Murphy's best. A great score and with some good action scenes and enjoyable secondary characters . A classic.

Now watching

Old 10th November 2021, 09:30 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Went for the double ...

The Stepfather (1987, Joseph Ruben)

Stepfather II: Make Room For Daddy (1989, Jeff Burr)

Former still a taught little thriller, and is recommended. Latter turned out to be a tad more explotatitive (no shit ... ) and is all the more recommended for it. Plus Meg Foster!!
Suburban shenanigans this time, with Terry O'Quinn excelling as the titular terror.
The sequel contained a particular bit of unpleasantness which made me sit up and t'ing.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 10th November 2021, 09:52 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Went for the double ...

The Stepfather (1987, Joseph Ruben)

Stepfather II: Make Room For Daddy (1989, Jeff Burr)

Former still a taught little thriller, and is recommended. Latter turned out to be a tad more explotatitive (no shit ... ) and is all the more recommended for it. Plus Meg Foster!!
Suburban shenanigans this time, with Terry O'Quinn excelling as the titular terror.
The sequel contained a particular bit of unpleasantness which made me sit up and t'ing.
Films I have never seen yet heard good things about them.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 10th November 2021, 10:03 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Snake Woman. 1961.

A doctor working with snakes tries to find a cure for his sick wife's mind and injects her with snake venom. She later gives birth to a baby girl which the villagers call "The Devil's Baby" and turn on the family. Years later Scotland Yard start investigating numerous deaths where the victims have snake bites on their body.

This was made on a shoe string budget and it's easily noticeable yet it's a early career move for Sidney J. Furie, we really can't blame directors for these low budget movies, this had potential to be good, even with a good assortment of cast members. This isn't great nor is it terrible but just seems to lack the proper suspense it should have.

s-l500.jpg
Old 11th November 2021, 09:17 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Terror Of The Living Dead (1973, Jose Luis Marino)

Spanish Gothic caper.
When a woman is found hanging in the local cemetery, this becomes the prelude to shenaningans. Lots of fun with this one. The lead resembles Peter Wyngarde playing Viv Stanshall, which just added to the mayhem .
Naschy excels in a small part, playing a grave digger who has a hands on approach to his work
Recommended!

[B]
Old 11th November 2021, 10:44 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasrope View Post
Dune

It's not bad but I didn't find it as enjoyable as other reviewers. The Film looks stunning but for me, It's got that Lord Of The Rings vibe where this is just the start and the other parts are where all the Action is. Not as confusing as I thought it would be though.
I watched Dune yesterday and I loved it, I can see what you're saying about it being the start of a story but as it's only been split into two it's not as bad as LoTR. Also the book itself is quite neatly in 2 parts so I think it works great. I'm very much looking forward to part 2, it's going to be 2023 isn't it ugh lol.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 11th November 2021, 02:08 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
The Snake Woman. 1961.

A doctor working with snakes tries to find a cure for his sick wife's mind and injects her with snake venom. She later gives birth to a baby girl which the villagers call "The Devil's Baby" and turn on the family. Years later Scotland Yard start investigating numerous deaths where the victims have snake bites on their body.

This was made on a shoe string budget and it's easily noticeable yet it's a early career move for Sidney J. Furie, we really can't blame directors for these low budget movies, this had potential to be good, even with a good assortment of cast members. This isn't great nor is it terrible but just seems to lack the proper suspense it should have.

Attachment 237597
I really like this. The MGM dvd i have looks great.
Demoncrat and MrBarlow like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!