All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179627Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th May 2022, 08:04 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Cruel Jaws. 1995.

A shark terrorises a beach in Florida.

Bruno Mattei does it again, another knock-off from a classic film only this time the shark can change into a dolphin and does go for some cheap visual effects. I'm guessing he tried to get Hulk Hogan to star and when he couldn't he created his own version of The Hulkster. As daft and corny this film is I gotta say it's a lot better than Jaws: The Revenge.

MV5BYTgxN2I4ZjEtMjAyZS00MzM5LWE0MjAtZmQ4M2UyMjgwODcwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_QL75_UY281_.jpg
Old 15th May 2022, 02:11 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Tremors. 1990.

A small Nevada town called perfection comes under attack from giant underground creatures.

This probably would have sounded good in someone's head yet this was given a small budget and became a firm favourite to us. Handymen Kevin Bacon and Fred Ward team up with seismologist Finn Carter to figure out where these creatures come from and how to kill them. Michael Gross and Reba MacEntire play the gun tooting couple who have the small arsenal in their basement that comes in handy. A mix of Science-fiction, horror and comedy that makes a perfect viewing anytime.

TREMORS_cover.jpg
Old 15th May 2022, 02:27 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Tremors 2: Aftershocks. 1996.

Earl Bassett who became a celebrity now totally washed up is hired by a oil company in Mexico to help deal with a creature problem.

Fred Ward returns in this sequel with 'new guy' Grady Hoover played by Chris Gartin who seems to be a fan of Val and Earl and their Graboid find in Perfection. Helen Shaver plays geologist Kate who tries to find out the origin of the creatures. Michael Gross returns as war gun obsessed Burt who thinks he has enough ammo but things do n't go well when the creatures change. More Action, More Science-Fiction and certainly more comedy with this sequel.

p17722_v_h10_ac.jpg
Old 15th May 2022, 03:42 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Finally saw The Batman. Jesus Christ, what a bloody letdown after all of the positive praise (IGN even called it a 'masterpiece'). Left me wishing that I'd rewatched one of the films from Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy. Best I can say about it is that I'm glad that I saw it for myself. Quite often boring and too long, there's zero chemistry with Catwoman, the promised great detective work really isn't there and also, I have to remark upon a pretty bad performance from an unmasked Riddler (when he's no longer wearing his gimp mask). Film score - a grudging 5.5 out of 10. Caveat emptor.
Old 16th May 2022, 11:27 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Urban Legends: Bloody Mary (2005)

The third installment in the Urban Legend film series to date,. that is let down by it's budgetary restraints meaning it lacks the cinematic style and look of the previous two entries.

Probably because i've just bought this on Blu-ray as part of the 88 Films Urban Legend box set i was determined to enjoy it and thankfully did more than on my previous dvd outings.

The story is about a high school girl who inadvertantly releases a long dead spirit of the urban legend Bloody Mary (Candyman was based on this same urban legend so you'll know the ins and outs) as one by one her friends start to die. Nothing really new but it's fairly fun all the same but the finale is predictable from the first few scenes - I think because i guessed who was the main protagonist was very quickly the first time i watched it back in the mid 00's it disappointed and remains kind of disappointing.

However there's one pretty spectacular death scene involving spiders and a broken mirror that's the highlight of the film and is great fun. Sadly high definition doesn't help said scene as it brings out the CGI in more detail and looks really fake in regards to the spiders otherwise it's a nice homage to clasic death scenes from the Argento and Fulci canons.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images (1).jpg (89.1 KB, 4 views)
Old 16th May 2022, 03:26 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Robocop. 1987.

Just watched the 4K UHD, sound was just perfect, picture quality was great except at the first media break seemed a bit fuzzy and colour tone out of proportion, no further complaints from me about this.

91ToraTGY0L._AC_SX342_.jpg
Old 16th May 2022, 04:57 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction View Post
Finally saw The Batman. Jesus Christ, what a bloody letdown after all of the positive praise (IGN even called it a 'masterpiece'). Left me wishing that I'd rewatched one of the films from Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy. Best I can say about it is that I'm glad that I saw it for myself. Quite often boring and too long, there's zero chemistry with Catwoman, the promised great detective work really isn't there and also, I have to remark upon a pretty bad performance from an unmasked Riddler (when he's no longer wearing his gimp mask). Film score - a grudging 5.5 out of 10. Caveat emptor.
Sure it was the same reviewer who shit all over the Snyder cut of justice league giving it a 4/10 and calling over long and boring.
Old 16th May 2022, 05:02 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Don't Go Into The House. 1979.

A disturbed young factory worker kidnaps women and burns them with a flamethrower in a fire proof room he has built in his house.

Welcome to a house that seems to belong to a Norman Bates wannabe and his mother except Donny here uses a flamethrower instead of a knife to kill his female victims. The recent Arrow Blu-Ray version of this film is the best quality I have seen. I will admit the acting has it's moments of being good and bad but everyone does try their best to make it interesting, just happy to watch the extended cut.

MV5BN2NiNWI0ZGYtMWFhNS00Njg2LWE0YjItYTI5NmFlYThlZmUzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTk5MjAyMjM@._V1_FMjpg_UX100.jpg
Old 16th May 2022, 07:28 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Jason is resurrected once again , this time he targets a group of teens on a boat celebrating graduation, after number of kills the survivors end up in New York but Jason is still after them , what was up with the boat , it was like the TARDIS bigger on the inside, my least favourite of the zombie Jason's , the timeline seemed off the girl was way too young do have to have young Jason attack her in the lake.

The film opens with Jason being ambushed and blown up by the FBI which doesn't make sense after the end of the last movie but logic has little do with these movies.

Gone now is the lore of Jason being a wolverine / Zombie type creature here he is now some sort of demon possession thing that was brought into the world by what is definitely the necronomican and can swap body's but they start to fall apart so he needs to possess a realtive to come back.

Probably one of the must gory of the films and has too be one of my favourites , we have that finial scene that took years for something to happen.

Like the last this takes place as if the last one never happend , Jason is being studied by david cronenberg put escapes and goes on killing spree and gets cryogenically frozen and just like Buck Rogers ends up 500 years in the future and goes on a killing spree of the crew of the spaceship that picked him and along the way gets upgrade. Some good kills another I really enjoy even if the special effects are a bit poo. Maybe it should of been called Jason Vorhees in the 25th century also a little strange that Erin Gray was in the last one.

Now watching

Last edited by trebor8273; 16th May 2022 at 07:45 PM.
Old 16th May 2022, 07:36 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Sure it was the same reviewer who shit all over the Snyder cut of justice league giving it a 4/10 and calling over long and boring.
I think Snyder's Justice League is much better than this new effort. Don't think I'll look at IGN film reviews any more. I'm sure they also awarded 4/10 to the new Fantastic Beasts entry and I also far preferred that to the new Batman film.
nicholasrope likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!