Like Tree179633Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th July 2022, 08:11 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
The Lost Boys. 1987.

One of the classic 80s vampire flicks with a soundtrack, good acting from Carey Haim and Jason Patrick as the two new brothers in Santa Carla, Corey Feldman and Jamison Newlander as the fearless vampire killers Frog brothers who scream and hold each other while a vampire dies in a bath of holy water. Kiefer Sutherland plays the leader of the pack David while guarding a secret head vampire, still love the beach bonfire scene.

Attachment 240936
I'm dying to rewatch this but determined to wait until the new 4k comes out in the autumn
MrBarlow likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 5th July 2022, 11:52 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Have you checked on the shelf next to The Goonies for The Lost Boys Dem?

The Goonies never went on a shelf. Just in the bin.
Demoncrat and Nordicdusk like this.
Old 5th July 2022, 12:07 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Goonies never went on a shelf. Just in the bin.
Old 5th July 2022, 12:11 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Monster Man (2003)

A bizarre blend of frat boy road trip movie, Spielberg's Duel, Jeepers Creepers and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre that's both annoying and great fun at the same time.

The opening twenty minutes are mindless idiocy as two lads hit the road in order so one of them can tell his ex that he loves her before she gets married. The guys irritate the hell out of me with their constant squabbling and godawful banter. It's only when what can only be described as a monster truck tries to run them off the road does the film pick up and from then on it's a lot of comedy horror hijinks.

The fact they pick up a sexy hitchhiker adds to the dynamic no end before the film enters Texas Chainsaw territory with a nice left field twist in the final third.

Although the film isn't scary at all some of the comedy does work especially in the middle third whilst the final acts are gross out horror meaning on the whole Monster Man is a largely satisfying dollop of trash cinema.

I have absolutely no need to buy the 101 Films Blu-ray as the 2003 High Fliers dvd looks outstanding upscaled.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Monster_man_poster.jpg (24.3 KB, 5 views)
Old 5th July 2022, 04:16 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

THE CARPENTER – Weirdly arty semi-slasher goes in for light surrealism over body count, and at some point it had me thinking that if early Channel 4 commissioned splatter movies, had been Canadian and could access Wings Hauser, this would be the inevitable result. Woman recovers from a breakdown in a big house with a bad rep; her hubby is a real shit, and we’re meant to think that when nocturnal handyman Wings comes along he’s the embodiment of her internalised relationship with crap maleness. It’s difficult to see the credulity-stretching radical DIY kills as anything other than the projections of a fragmented psyche, but by the end we see that maybe there’s some supernatural stuff going down for real. Nothing here is really outside of the slasher sandbox when it comes down to it but there’s a strange serenity in the air that I really liked. I would’ve preferred Wings in full demonic flight (he reigns it in a bit here) but ultimately, despite the floaty atmosphere, it’s the kind of movie where only silliness can prevail; the ending, with the sisters laying into the structure of the house because smashing its walls in literally has the same effect on Hauser, is a hoot. Otherwise, dig those blissed out synths on the soundtrack and a preponderance of quirk that I would hesitate to call ‘somehow a bit Lynchian’, but then hey guess what I just did? But the more pressing question is, “where is this on Blu Ray, or even DVD?”

THE BOY FROM HELL – Brilliant oddball Japanese Monkey’s Paw variant from Mari Asato, actually a Hideshi Hino adaption, in which a surgeon reanimates her dead child – he comes back as a real sickly-looking whelp who reminds me a little of the tyke from the end of ‘Phenomena’. TBFH packs a hefty dose of brain frazzle into its 54 minutes, and is by turns goofy, psychedelic and deeply, genuinely horrific in a way that only certain strains of Japanese horror seem capable of pulling off. The dirt-cheap minimalist video aesthetic really works, its frequent bursts of crude gonzo visuals somehow vaulting towards the visionary. It might not be possible to fathom all of TBFH’s strange depths - the giallo-esque soundtrack is an easy enough ask, but don’t try to guess why the detective turns Pinocchio - but general freakiness aside, somehow it all comes down to the Frankensteinian pathos of a ghoul child who just can’t understand why the other kids run away. If this can’t cut through a jaded palate, nothing can. Do yourselves a favour and watch TBFH.
Old 5th July 2022, 04:58 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I watched Jaws last night, the second viewing of the 4K Ultra HD disc and I was again extremely impressed by the picture and sound quality. The skin tones, detail on clothing, and the sunlight on the water is astonishing for a 47-year-old film (on a 45th Anniversary disc).

As for the sound, the Dolby Atmos track is fully immersive, heightening John Williams' iconic score and the movements on board the Orca. It's probably not a demo track in the same way that a film with plenty of weather or gunfire would be, but it's a step up from a 5.1 mix.

Away from the technical aspects, the film is a joy. It's as much about a killer fish as it is about the relationships between Brody, Hooper, and Quint and how Chief Brody makes a personal journey from an aquaphobic New Yorker to someone who literally puts his life on the line by going on a fishing boat to save Amity Island from financial ruin.

The film is beautifully written, a splendid adaptation of Peter Benchley's bestselling novel, and the stripped-down narrative makes the two-hour runtime fly by – it would be a poorer film for including Brody's wife's affair with Hooper or the mayor's mob ties and financial woes.

I laughed, I jumped, and I made a mental note to watch it at about the same time next year.

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 6th July 2022 at 08:02 AM.
Old 5th July 2022, 05:40 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I watched Jaws last night, the second viewing of the 4K Ultra HD disc and I was again extremely impressed by the picture and sound quality. The skin tones, detail on clothing, and the sunlight on the water is astonishing for a 47-year-old film (on a 45th Anniversary disc).

As for the sound, the Dolby Atmos track is fully immersive, heightening John Williams' iconic score and the movements on board the Orca. It's probably not a demo track in the same way that a film with plenty of weather or gunfire would be, but it's a step up from a 5.1 mix.

Away from the technical aspects, the film is a joy. It's as much about a killer fish as it is about the relationships between Brodie, Hooper, and Quint and how Chief Brodie makes a personal journey from an aquaphobic New Yorker to someone who literally puts his life on the line by going on a fishing boat to save Amity Island from financial ruin.

The film is beautifully written, a splendid adaptation of Peter Benchley's bestselling novel, and the stripped-down narrative makes the two-hour runtime fly by – it would be a poorer film for including Brody's wife's affair with Hooper or the mayor's mob ties and financial woes.

I laughed, I jumped, and I made a mental note to watch it at about the same time next year.
Something i noticed watching it on Saturday night was the first half hour or so isn't like the rest of the film. It's almost as if the camera is listening in on conversations of people reacting to the shark attack rather than anything that drives the narrative along. Conversations flit ina nd out of earshot and the things people say are often totally irrelevant to the plot.
Old 5th July 2022, 08:56 PM
Cult Master

DF-Thumb.jpg

Paul and his mother move to a new town where Paul has been invited to work with Dr. Johanson. Paul is a genius un robotics and has developed his own robot he calls BB. Paul installed artifical intelligence in BB who has time goes by he no longer is relying on Paul's commands but he is starting to learn for himself and becoming more intelligent and independent by the day. On Halloween night while out with BB Paul and his friends decide to pull a prank that goes wrong and BB is destroyed as a result which is a disaster that leads to something even worse when Sam Pauls friend and developing love interest is killed by her abusive father. Paul comes up with the idea that he can bring Sam back the same way he gave life to BB but obviously this is a terrible idea.

Bloody hell how have i not seen this before. I was hooked from the first scene when BB chokes out a would be car thief. I really like the story yes its just Frankenstein of the 80s but its still a great tale. The start of the film is more of a buddy film showing the development of the friendship between Paul Sam Tom and of course BB and eventually the romantic relationship that was starting to blossom between Paul and Sam that is cut short before tragedy strikes. The last quarter of the film has some great make up effects and some great kills especially the basketball kill was funny and bloody as hell and quite satisfying considering the victim

I have to give a special mention to the soundtrack there is some seriously great scenes that are given a totally different vibe when the music kicks in. I will have to investigate if there is a release somewhere.
Old 5th July 2022, 08:57 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Conan The Destroyer. 1984.

Conan leads a small group with a princess and her bodyguard on a quest to find a jewel.

Arnie teams up with his new companion Malak plaayed by Tracey Walters, female warrior Zula played by Grace Jones, Mako returns as Akiro the wise wizard. Olivia D'Abo plays the young Princess Jehnna and Wilt Chamberlain as loyal bodyguard Bombaata, who Jehnna constantly screams out his name 3/4 of the film.

Did Arnie have something against Camels, in the first one he practically knocks one out, in this one the Camel recognises him, spits at him then Arnie whacks it on the head. Although this does have a bit of a serious tone to it like the previous film but this does have a bit of comedy or laughs added in. Basil Poledouris returns to compose the score and makes it feel more adventurous and medieval at the same time. still entertaining.

220px-Conan_the_destroyer.jpg
Old 5th July 2022, 09:19 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Attachment 240944

Paul and his mother move to a new town where Paul has been invited to work with Dr. Johanson. Paul is a genius un robotics and has developed his own robot he calls BB. Paul installed artifical intelligence in BB who has time goes by he no longer is relying on Paul's commands but he is starting to learn for himself and becoming more intelligent and independent by the day. On Halloween night while out with BB Paul and his friends decide to pull a prank that goes wrong and BB is destroyed as a result which is a disaster that leads to something even worse when Sam Pauls friend and developing love interest is killed by her abusive father. Paul comes up with the idea that he can bring Sam back the same way he gave life to BB but obviously this is a terrible idea.

Bloody hell how have i not seen this before. I was hooked from the first scene when BB chokes out a would be car thief. I really like the story yes its just Frankenstein of the 80s but its still a great tale. The start of the film is more of a buddy film showing the development of the friendship between Paul Sam Tom and of course BB and eventually the romantic relationship that was starting to blossom between Paul and Sam that is cut short before tragedy strikes. The last quarter of the film has some great make up effects and some great kills especially the basketball kill was funny and bloody as hell and quite satisfying considering the victim

I have to give a special mention to the soundtrack there is some seriously great scenes that are given a totally different vibe when the music kicks in. I will have to investigate if there is a release somewhere.
You can put this in the how has this not received a UK release pile?

I've only seen it because I found a old Ex-Rental VHS.
Justin101 likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!