Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179849Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th December 2010, 11:16 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I got the Video Nasties Definitive Guide for Christmas (the Limited Edition too ) and watched a couple of hours of the trailers (with intros) last night. I've got to say it's amazing and at over 13 hours, great value for money - and I've not even got to the documentary yet.

Also watched Iron Man 2 on blu ray which looked predictably great in High-def but sags noticably towards the end. Mickey Rourke puts in a great performance and steals the film from Robert Downey-Junior in my opinion.
Old 27th December 2010, 11:20 AM
Ex-member
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leecifur-blackstar View Post
Just watched Harmony Korine's Trash Humpers, and i was very dissapointed to say the least.
Doesn't interest me at all.

Have you seen how they scrawl over old tapes then try to sell them for a fortune as "Art", what a load of shit!
Old 27th December 2010, 11:43 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Just over a weeks worth of films bulked up by the fact that I've had a few extra days off work and snow has pretty much kept me at home. Some Christmas themed films and a bit of a Jimmy Wang Yu season all add to a pretty mixed bag.
[.Rec]
The Gallant Duo. (AKA The Last Duel)
The Killer Meteors.
Battlestar Galactica: The Plan.
Die Hard.
Creepshow 2.
Die Hard 2.
The Wolfman. (2009)
Fantasy Mission Force.
Blazing Saddles.
The Village.
Jack Frost.
The Man From Hong Kong.
Carriers.
Mr Vampire II
The Horseman.
The One-Armed Boxer.
The Santa Clause.
The Last Seven.
P2.
The Howling.
Meet The Parents.
Santa's Slay.
Silent Night, Deadly Night.
Frozen.
Wang Yu -The Destroyer. (AKA The Hero)
A Christmas Carol (2009)
How To Train Your Dragon
Burning Bright
The One-Armed Boxer Vs The Flying Guillotine (AKA Master Of The Flying Guillotine)

My style? .........You could call it the art of fighting without fighting!
Old 27th December 2010, 12:14 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I watched the 2005 House Of Wax. Hadn't realised it was made by the guy who did Orphan, which I liked a lot.

I went in expecting a trashy piece of sub B film crap that might have passed 90 minutes affably, so imagine my surprise to discover a meticulously and artfully made film with some truly beautiful photography and an expertly rendered atmosphere of unease and menace!

It does have problems, of course, in particular the story is massively derivative and devoid of surprises, but the film really is a huge amount better than it has any right to be and I was very, very pleasantly surprised by it.

Even Paris Hilton manages a perfectly acceptable performance - unlike in her sex tape!
Old 27th December 2010, 02:55 PM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

House of Wax isn't a bad film at all. Not great, but as remakes go it's certainly not bad. It's interesting how dissimular it is to the original.

Recently watched Santa's Slay (seems a lot of people on here have been watching that too) and Lazenby's underrated On Her Majesty's Secret Service
Old 27th December 2010, 03:03 PM
Active Cultist

Storm Warning - really enjoyed this little Aussie thriller. Cliched but no less entertaining for it. One really inventive 'Hellraiser' gore scene.

Resident Evil Afterlife - The use of slow motion in this was laughable. This film was nearly unwatchable. I'm amazed that an apocalyptic zombie movie could be so unentertaining. I remember saying that the trailer looked like 'Ultraviolet' and the movie is as badly put together as that. For some reason - they took take the worst elements of the game(s) for this one and put them in at random with no thought whatsoever to coherant storytelling. The trendy techno-rock soundtrack that changed every four seconds was very annoying. Utter cack.

The Naked Gun. Maybe the hundredth time I've seen it. Never gets old.
Old 27th December 2010, 03:06 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by re.form View Post
Storm Warning - really enjoyed this little Aussie thriller. Cliched but no less entertaining for it. One really inventive 'Hellraiser' gore scene.
YES! I saw that a few weeks back - thought it was great. Fine performances, the family are genuinely unsettling.
Old 27th December 2010, 03:57 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

rewatched Buried last night.

My Dad hated it ha ha
Its a wicked movie with lots of atmosphere!
But I can see why it would bore some people.

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 27th December 2010, 08:11 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

watched an Australian film called Tomorrow When The War Began, which is almost a carbon copy of Red dawn, but very entertaining none the less and it comes from writer director Stuart Beatie who is responsible for the Pirates of The Caribbean films (writer) and for writing Collateral. It was very good except the film needed to be much longer and they left it wide open for a sequel which i hope does come about. Highly recommended.
Old 27th December 2010, 09:23 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Tales From The Darkside: The Movie

Great cast and fine stories add up to a top fun anthology flick. Very Creepshow-like, as you might expect from Romero protégé John Harrison.

The Prism disk is OK - open matte 4:3 from the looks of things - but a bit fuzzy and weak of colour. Is there a better print about?

Like this? Share it using the links below!