Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179918Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th September 2012, 04:38 PM
Cult Addict

greenman.jpg

Fantastic bbc ghost story I missed first time around (on account of being 10 years old and not allowed to watch it. ) Doing a bit of tidying around the house and found it in the stacks, decided to stick it on and give it a go.

Albert Finney plays a druncan womanising landlord of an old cambridgshire inn called the Green man, run as a high class (and priced) restaurant. Finney's character enjoys regaling the guests with tales of the ghosts that haunt the inn.

After his father passes away, he begins to realise that there may be more truth to the stories than he first imagined, pretty soon he's communicating with a 17th century cambridge proffessor who may have discovered a way to continue on after death...

The benefit of a 3 episode, 50 minutes an episode series like this is that it gives the story time to devlop properly, add to this the stella cast and Green man is a ghost story well worth checking out.
sawyer6 likes this.
Old 19th September 2012, 08:07 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
I can name at least 6 people on here, who, oddly enough, rub themselves with Vaseline before watching a film.
Go on then.

Name them!
Daemonia and Demoncrat like this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 19th September 2012, 08:49 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Watched Cigarette Burns last night, I really enjoyed it, it was quite a kick when the lead happened to be Darryl from The Walking Dead!
The only thing it was lacking was a proper John Carpenter score, the music was too 'American TV' - which obviously fits the fact it was a TV show.
the music was by Carpenter's son Cody
Old 20th September 2012, 03:52 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Attachment 80700

Fantastic bbc ghost story I missed first time around (on account of being 10 years old and not allowed to watch it. ) Doing a bit of tidying around the house and found it in the stacks, decided to stick it on and give it a go.

Albert Finney plays a druncan womanising landlord of an old cambridgshire inn called the Green man, run as a high class (and priced) restaurant. Finney's character enjoys regaling the guests with tales of the ghosts that haunt the inn.

After his father passes away, he begins to realise that there may be more truth to the stories than he first imagined, pretty soon he's communicating with a 17th century cambridge proffessor who may have discovered a way to continue on after death...

The benefit of a 3 episode, 50 minutes an episode series like this is that it gives the story time to devlop properly, add to this the stella cast and Green man is a ghost story well worth checking out.
I remember watching this at the time, I guess my parents were used to me watching Horrors and reading Stephen King books at this point seeing as I was 11 when this aired and they let me watch it. Can't remember a damn thing about it now though!
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 20th September 2012, 04:52 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Morton View Post
the music was by Carpenter's son Cody
Yes I know, but Cody doesn't make music like his dad so it didn't work for me.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 21st September 2012, 03:47 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Prometheus. Is it the sci fi equivalent of Dinosaur Jr's "Don't"? Or a horrible mish mash of varied cliches from the last 60 years of fantastic cinema? Regardless, I liked it. The Cthulhu-y facehugger a highlight imo.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 21st September 2012, 06:53 PM
Cult Veteran

I also watched Prometheus, it started off ace, really quite exciting, then just went a bit meh by the end, it got to a point where I really didn't care about what was happening on screen. It 'looked' really nice though.
Old 21st September 2012, 09:18 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default The Frighteners

not watched this for ages,so watching at the mo.............

fright.jpg
Old 21st September 2012, 10:28 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Who Dares Wins (1982)

An absolutely terrific final twenty minutes brilliantly enhanced by an excellent theme. The film shows the SAS at work in a very realistic way, there are no gun battles as such, just quick fire single shots as each terrorist is despatched with perfect clinical precision.

Its just a shame that the opening hundred minutes feel a bit laboured, especially the two musical performances which go on for far too long.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Who Dares Wins.jpg (49.8 KB, 1 views)
Hawkmonger likes this.
Old 21st September 2012, 10:43 PM
Cult Acolyte

Super Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Who Dares Wins (1982)

An absolutely terrific final twenty minutes brilliantly enhanced by an excellent theme. The film shows the SAS at work in a very realistic way, there are no gun battles as such, just quick fire single shots as each terrorist is despatched with perfect clinical precision.

Its just a shame that the opening hundred minutes feel a bit laboured, especially the two musical performances which go on for far too long.
yeah well not if they'd used Mud or Slade,then it would of been the perfect film

Like this? Share it using the links below!