Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th February 2013, 09:00 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball Fury View Post
I liked the soundtrack apart from the hip-hop tracks, which really pulled me out of the film. I'm not sure if he was aiming at doing a Posse kind of thing, but to me it was really jarring.
Yeah, apart from the original Django song and the bits of Morricone and Jerry Goldsmith, I found most of the songs detracted from the scenes they played over, the first time I've felt that in a Tarantino film . . .
Old 4th February 2013, 09:39 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

FASTER PUSSYCAT, KILL, KILL - Needs no introduction and is probably officially one of the coolest films of all time. Manages to feel sleazy and hard-boiled without being remotely explicit - the violence of these women is all about chilly detachment and razor wire tongues. In fact, the sassy, poisonous dialogue is one of the main reasons I keep returning to this, that and the cartoonishly bleak misanthropy on show. It's also visually quite skewed, with weird monochrome angles warping the arid desert setting. Cool theme tune, too.

2001 MANIACS - The remake. I thought it was pretty enjoyable, if only on a 'gore' level. It strives for bad taste, but within its consumer-oriented constraints only gets as far as frat-boy gross out as opposed to any real twistedness. Still, it flies by pretty smoothly and doesn't offend with excessive characterisation, plot or narrative nicety, and, sad to say, that's all I really require from a disposable item such as this. The HG original was grim and funny, and, although not my favourute of his, had that creepy, leering vibe which I always think marks out true exploitation - that shadowy sickness all but absent from latter day imitations. But, anyway, pretty good.

DAGON - I know that 'Dagon' tends to split people a little. Maybe that depends on expectations / approach - as a H.P adaption it's, well, not very good (Lovecraft doesn't translate into cinema.at.all. imo, but that's another story). But as a trashy B picture, it almost rocks. And, weirdly enough, there were a couple of moments - ie. a misshapen figure stumbling down a street in silhouette, a crowd of gurgling fishpeople - where I caught myself thinking "Hmm, yeah maybe this could pass as an almost Lovecraftian image"... but mostly it succeeds as an atmospheric dollop of gore and low key sleaze. I liked the constant sense of rain, and the rotting seaside town, the fishperson sound fx, the tentacular moments. The bad CGI was not really an issue for me as I'm unrealistically tolerant of such, but I imagine it would've completely sunk the whole show for anyone up for anything approaching a real treatment of ...Innsmouth. Anyway, 'Dagon' - I liked it, maybe you will, maybe you won't.
Old 4th February 2013, 09:51 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
FASTER PUSSYCAT, KILL, KILL - Needs no introduction and is probably officially one of the coolest films of all time. Manages to feel sleazy and hard-boiled without being remotely explicit - the violence of these women is all about chilly detachment and razor wire tongues. In fact, the sassy, poisonous dialogue is one of the main reasons I keep returning to this, that and the cartoonishly bleak misanthropy on show. It's also visually quite skewed, with weird monochrome angles warping the arid desert setting. Cool theme tune, too.

Yes yes yes yes yes x 100. One of my all-time favourites.
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 4th February 2013, 09:56 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

I think i agree with all three reviews Frankie. Spot on.
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 4th February 2013, 10:14 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
Yes yes yes yes yes x 100. One of my all-time favourites.
Just ordered the 19 film boxset + book for £16.99 from Sainsburys . . .
Old 4th February 2013, 10:22 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
Just ordered the 19 film boxset + book for £16.99 from Sainsburys . . .
You'll certainly get an eyeful.

http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/gene...tml#post274366

http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/gene...tml#post275883 2 on this page.

http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/gene...tml#post278204
Old 4th February 2013, 11:05 PM
Cult Veteran

Just finished watching Tokyo Story, I'm blown away, such a great film, I'm on a massive downer now though, the last 30-40 minutes are so sad.
sawyer6 and trebor8273 like this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 5th February 2013, 12:09 AM
Seasoned Cultist

'The Evil Dead'. One of my all time favourites. Not much I can say about the film that hasn't already been said, I guess.
First time I watched this was with four friends, late at night, on VHS. We were about 14(1986) I think, and had heard second or third hand stories about it - the infamous tree-rape, pencil in the ankle etc. What really set it apart was that it not only lived up to expectations, but exceeded them.

The HD picture & audio are superb, and to me the film still stands up. Even the slightly dodgy stop motion decomposition at the end works, for me. I'm sure it would be CGI'd these days.
My latest favourite shot is from the opening sequence, when the car crosses the bridge and the camera is waiting for it, then follows it to the cabin. Simple but effective.
Need to find time to check out the extras.
Old 5th February 2013, 12:33 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linbro View Post
'The Evil Dead'. One of my all time favourites. Not much I can say about the film that hasn't already been said, I guess.
First time I watched this was with four friends, late at night, on VHS. We were about 14(1986) I think, and had heard second or third hand stories about it - the infamous tree-rape, pencil in the ankle etc. What really set it apart was that it not only lived up to expectations, but exceeded them.

The HD picture & audio are superb, and to me the film still stands up. Even the slightly dodgy stop motion decomposition at the end works, for me. I'm sure it would be CGI'd these days.
My latest favourite shot is from the opening sequence, when the car crosses the bridge and the camera is waiting for it, then follows it to the cabin. Simple but effective.
Need to find time to check out the extras.
Well the remake comes out this year. And we are being promised 97% practical effects.
ArgentoFan1987 likes this.

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 5th February 2013, 07:31 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball Fury View Post
What tracks are you getting, Albini raw files or the Scott Litt tweaked ones?

I've got a copy of Albini's original mix, before the vocals and bass were tweaked and the Scott Litt remixes were done, and it's a really interesting listen. It's a big dirty noise rock sound, kind of like how "I Hate Myself and Want To Die" sounds.
I'm not sure yet, one of the tutors at college who I work in the studio with has acquired them from somewhere. I'll be sure to upload my mixes when they're done, we're finishing off mixing Superstition by Stevie Wonder this week, I'll upload that too when it's done
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!

Like this? Share it using the links below!