Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th May 2013, 08:23 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I just watched the German blu of The Legend of Hell House. Saw it years ago, couldn't remember much, and didn't expect much either, but.. really enjoyed it! It's really quite an effective haunted house film. Not a particularly scary one as such, but it has a few neat tricks up it sleeve, held together by a terrific cast, particularly Pamela Franklin who plays a medium. Scriptwriter Richard Matheson slipped some familiar Poe nods in there, and the house is suitably ominous - it's the same one used in the giallo All the Colors of the Dark I believe. Good ending too.
Frankie Teardrop and troggi like this.
Old 12th May 2013, 08:28 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by re.form View Post

The Lords of Salem. I've always though Zombie to be a strong visual director, but always found his story-telling, characters and dialogue to be a bit try-hard and at times childish. This however, was a delight. The opening is a little too cheesy, but as this progresses I thought it was a wonderful love letter to Fulci and Argento movies of the 70's and 80's. In fact I'll go far to say this is the movie Argento was trying to make with 'Mother of Tears' but couldn't, for whatever reason, manage. I really enjoyed it and it will get a re-watch sooner rather than later. As I don't often say that about newer releases, it's fair to say I thought this was one of the best movies released so far this year.
Quite refreshing to watch a Rob Zombie film where every other word isn't **** too, I too will be watching it sooner rather than later, great film
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 12th May 2013, 08:59 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I just watched "Quarantine". A rather disturbing film, isn't it? The "infected" were VERY effective baddies without going completely "Z". I'm not usually a great fan of "found footage" flicks but this film hit the spot, 8/10 for growls and drool. Is "[Rec.]" any better?

Delirium likes this.

Monster Magnet
Old 12th May 2013, 09:07 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggi View Post

I just watched "Quarantine". A rather disturbing film, isn't it? The "infected" were VERY effective baddies without going completely "Z". I'm not usually a great fan of "found footage" flicks but this film hit the spot, 8/10 for growls and drool. Is "[Rec.]" any better?

I didn't mind Quarantine, but [REC] is definitely better, as are the sequels
troggi likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 12th May 2013, 09:13 PM
Seasoned Cultist

I agree with Rik, [rec] is certainly the better film. I thought Quarantine was decent enough but ultimately it was a bit pointless.
troggi likes this.
Old 12th May 2013, 10:30 PM
Cultist

just watched ZFE on the big screen, srs film boner
Old 12th May 2013, 10:51 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggi View Post

Yeah, [Rec] is much better. But as remakes go, Quarantine wasn't too bad.

[Rec 2] is also very good, but Quarantine 2 is terrible - I'd avoid that one at all costs.

However, [Rec 3] changed the formula, dropping the handheld camera (although it is used at the beginning) and becoming something of a comedy. I know it has its fans here, but I didn't like it at all.
troggi likes this.
Old 12th May 2013, 10:59 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium View Post
Yeah, [Rec] is much better. But as remakes go, Quarantine wasn't too bad.

[Rec 2] is also very good, but Quarantine 2 is terrible - I'd avoid that one at all costs.

However, [Rec 3] changed the formula, dropping the handheld camera (although it is used at the beginning) and becoming something of a comedy. I know it has its fans here, but I didn't like it at all.
Thanks for the advice folks, I knew that I could count on everyone for sensible counsel. Hats off to all of you.

Monster Magnet
Old 13th May 2013, 01:27 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
Watching late-70s Brit horror Killer's Moon in light of all these historical abuse cases, I was struck by this line from the male screenwriter:

"You were only raped. As long as you don’t tell anyone about it you’ll be alright. You’ll pretend it never happened, I’ll pretend I never saw it…"

The whole 'schoolgirls being stalked n' raped' plot left quite a bad taste. It's a shame, as the setup with the broken down schoolbus and haughty teacher had a certain campy charm . . .
I admit that I'm a bit of a fan of Killer's Moon. It is quite nasty, but the cheese does run thick, too. It was obvious that the screenwriter had just finished watching A Clockwork Orange when he sat down to write this one
Old 13th May 2013, 01:36 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

THis evening I watched Vile and Repoman. I gave my thoughts over on my Diary thread for Vile when I saw it at the Halloween Fright Fest event in Bristol (2011). Repoman is simply sublime. I have been fortunaye enough to see it twice on the big screen and I must say the Blu-ray looks superb. Now if only somebody could sort out Walker and Sid and Nancy on a European friendly blu ... anyone listening?
troggi likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!