Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179740Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st September 2013, 08:31 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

The Orphan Killer.

A Matt Farnsworth film. I was surprised by this low budget slasher in that it is far more competent than I hoped. The story is basic, brother and sister are orphaned after their parents are murdered. Sister is adopted, brother beats another kids head in with a bat and is forced to wear a mask and endure many years of torture from the nuns. Then he gets an axe and becomes Marcus Miller, The Orphan Killer.
The film is carried by the female lead (Diane Foster) and I was mightily impressed with her efforts (and her bum!) all the way through. The blood flows thick and fast as Marcus throws that axe about with some mean intent!
I believe Matt wants to make a new franchise with this character.. best of luck to him.

Edit; German Blu/DVD Mediabook available from D&T, Official Orphan Killer site sold out of Blu's but have DVD's.
Old 1st September 2013, 08:51 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
The Orphan Killer.

A Matt Farnsworth film. I was surprised by this low budget slasher in that it is far more competent than I hoped. The story is basic, brother and sister are orphaned after their parents are murdered. Sister is adopted, brother beats another kids head in with a bat and is forced to wear a mask and endure many years of torture from the nuns. Then he gets an axe and becomes Marcus Miller, The Orphan Killer.
The film is carried by the female lead (Diane Foster) and I was mightily impressed with her efforts (and her bum!) all the way through. The blood flows thick and fast as Marcus throws that axe about with some mean intent!
I believe Matt wants to make a new franchise with this character.. best of luck to him.

Edit; German Blu/DVD Mediabook available from D&T, Official Orphan Killer site sold out of Blu's but have DVD's.

I was really surprised by this when i first seen it. Some great gore and kills i must get the blu ray sometime.
Old 1st September 2013, 09:26 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Watched Beetlejuice last night for the very first time. Wow, Tim Burton is definitely out there. While I'm not his biggest fan, this movie ranks as one of his most accomplished. Super performance from Michael Keaton. Loved the horror elements in this movie. Set design and make up effects were just fantastic. Might just watch this one again come Halloween. Didn't get a chance to watch this with 5.1 surround sound, but the PQ was very impressive. Overall a very enjoyable viewing experience was had. Tim Burton's best movie IMO
Old 1st September 2013, 09:50 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

2 very different films over the weekend ...

Orphans - a great film - sad, poignant and, at times, hilarious with some great performances. The BD was a blind buy from HMVs 4 for £10 and I'm really glad I took a chance on it. Must check out NEDS from the same director.

Coffy - this is probably the most exploitative exploitation film I've ever seen and it's all the better for it! Seriously, every situation seems to end up with a topless woman. Fight in a cocktail bar ... boobs .... a heavy threatening a barmaid for unwittingly taking a picture of a politician up to no good ... boobs ... you get the picture! For what it is, 'Coffy' really delivers - action packed, violent and undeniably of it's time and genre. I personally prefer 'Foxy Brown', which has better performances and a more ambitious plot but it's close call.
troggi likes this.
Old 1st September 2013, 09:56 AM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
2 very different films over the weekend ...

Orphans - a great film - sad, poignant and, at times, hilarious with some great performances. The BD was a blind buy from HMVs 4 for £10 and I'm really glad I took a chance on it. Must check out NEDS from the same director.

Coffy - this is probably the most exploitative exploitation film I've ever seen and it's all the better for it! Seriously, every situation seems to end up with a topless woman. Fight in a cocktail bar ... boobs .... a heavy threatening a barmaid for unwittingly taking a picture of a politician up to no good ... boobs ... you get the picture! For what it is, 'Coffy' really delivers - action packed, violent and undeniably of it's time and genre. I personally prefer 'Foxy Brown', which has better performances and a more ambitious plot but it's close call.
NEDS is a great film, gritty, violent then all of a sudden it slips into magic realism every now and then.
Sam and troggi like this.
Old 1st September 2013, 10:06 AM
Cult Acolyte

I remember there being a bit of positive buzz about Detention on here, so watched that last night. I found it fairly obnoxious to be honest. All that too-cool-for-school whip-panning with woosh sound effects. Remined me of other American comedy I never got on with, like Scrubs or Malcolm in the Middle. It’s like the frenetic pace is there to mask the lack of any actual wit, just chuck everything at the screen and see what sticks, under the guise of BEING WACKY. I suppose the attempt to do something different is admirable. But I think it failed as a horror film, and as I only smiled a few times, for me it failed as a comedy too . . .
troggi and DaveH like this.
Old 1st September 2013, 10:17 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonknight View Post
Watched Beetlejuice last night for the very first time. Wow, Tim Burton is definitely out there. While I'm not his biggest fan, this movie ranks as one of his most accomplished. Super performance from Michael Keaton. Loved the horror elements in this movie. Set design and make up effects were just fantastic. Might just watch this one again come Halloween. Didn't get a chance to watch this with 5.1 surround sound, but the PQ was very impressive. Overall a very enjoyable viewing experience was had. Tim Burton's best movie IMO
I saw Beetlejuice at the cinema! Love that film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
I remember there being a bit of positive buzz about Detention on here, so watched that last night. I found it fairly obnoxious to be honest. All that too-cool-for-school whip-panning with woosh sound effects. Remined me of other American comedy I never got on with, like Scrubs or Malcolm in the Middle. It’s like the frenetic pace is there to mask the lack of any actual wit, just chuck everything at the screen and see what sticks, under the guise of BEING WACKY. I suppose the attempt to do something different is admirable. But I think it failed as a horror film, and as I only smiled a few times, for me it failed as a comedy too . . .
That's a shame, Jack. I'm one of those who championed it, as for me it worked. It does indeed throw everything into the mix, and it's certainly an ambitious feature by a director who clearly has a music video background, but the thing for me is that it worked. I liked the characters, the craziness, and the off-the-wall humour. I found it exceptionally entertaining and considering how quick-fire the gags are, I found the hit rate pretty high.

And I'm normally turned off by the idea of high-school comedies.
Old 1st September 2013, 10:33 AM
Cult Acolyte

Didn't realise it was made by a music video director, but I can totally see that now! For me, everything just felt really affected and smug, the horror elements treated like throwaway gags, as if the makes felt they were 'above' such fare . . .
troggi likes this.
Old 1st September 2013, 10:41 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

I wasn't sure where to post this: I've just bought a Blu-Ray Player. Could someone please tell some Blu-Rays that have the best special features (I've been told that some films such as Kingdom of Heaven lose out on a lot of the special features in comparison to the DVD)
Wes and troggi like this.
Old 1st September 2013, 10:45 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonknight View Post
Watched Beetlejuice last night for the very first time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium View Post
I saw Beetlejuice at the cinema! Love that film.
I worked on 'Beetlejuice'!
troggi and SCM like this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty

Like this? Share it using the links below!