All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179849Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th November 2013, 06:03 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post

Apocalypse Now

Don't really have to say much about this except it's a classic, i'm not a big war film fan ( prefer the more psychological or unusual ones- Full Metal Jacket, Paths of glory, Come and see, Cross of iron and Battleground) but this is so much more than just a war film. Beautiful, powerful, hypnotic and disturbing with a great soundtrack.
Watched the original version which i prefer, the redux version has some really good scenes but for me it screws up the pacing of the film, and i'm sure the soundtrack has been messed about with on that version.
A masterpiece. 10/10
It's sublime. The best 5.1 soundtrack I've ever heard
troggi and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 12th November 2013, 10:32 AM
Cult Addict

nunanddevil.jpg

Nun and the Devil

Well, on my rare off days from Asda I'm still going off on buying trips looking for stuff to flog on Amazon. Came across this and decided to keep it!

Sat down before work yesterday to watch it expecting some real sleaze but was surprised to find its actually fairly tame as nunsploitation goes, though to be fair it is one of the early ones. It's also beautifully shot with some great sets and locations and great camera work. The plot is fairly political with a nun moving herself up to mother superior thanks to some underhanded tactics and friends in the right places and works as a condemnation of the Catholic church. Anyone looking for some cheap sleaze should look elsewhere, but those after something that's surprisingly more cerebral should give it a try. It's described on the back as Italy's answer to the Devils and in political terms that's fairly dead on. Its a more restrained than that movie however and a rare case of an Italian picture cashing in on a western films notoriety and not being way over the top.

wolftown.jpg

Wolftown

Getting back from work, as per usual i'm knackered and in the mood for trash. This has been sitting about the place for ages so I unwrap it and give it a spin.
A group of college kids head out to the old ghost town for college stuff (usual flaky movie logic) only to find the place is plagued by hoards of wolves who kill any poor unsuspecting fools who think the old abandoned mining town in the middle of nowhere is a great place to go wander round in. The teens have to find away to escape with their lives as the intelligent wolves begin to hunt them.

Basically this is exactly the kind of film it looks like from the sleeve. A filmmakers gone through their list of things available cheaply and stuck them all in a film.

Ghost town set used in almost every tv and low budget film shot in southern California...Check.

Trained wolves....Check.

Hungry young actors looking for work....check.

Glue it all together and you get Wolf town. Actually pretty enjoyable is somewhat forgettable. This one is going to be haunting charity shops for decades to come and if you find it for a quid then its well worth pick up!
Frankie Teardrop and troggi like this.
Old 12th November 2013, 11:10 AM
Cult Acolyte

From Dusk Till Dawn for the 100th time, for some reason I can't get enough of this film.

Fast & Furious - Tokyo Drift

Other then 5 I think this is the best of them
ArgentoFan1987 likes this.
Old 12th November 2013, 03:34 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Just watched Rocky (1) from my Rocky Blu-Ray boxset. Unfortunately it doesn't have commentaries or any of the special features on the 2 disc Rocky DVD
Old 12th November 2013, 07:46 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

NUDE NUNS WITH BIG GUNS. Rather smart rape revenge film with a real flavour of 70s exploitation without being wank. Excellent wailing saxophone rock sludge music heightens the sleaze of the multiple rape scenes. Pretty good.
Old 12th November 2013, 07:54 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
NUDE NUNS WITH BIG GUNS. Rather smart rape revenge film with a real flavour of 70s exploitation without being wank. Excellent wailing saxophone rock sludge music heightens the sleaze of the multiple rape scenes. Pretty good.
Yeah I sky+ it enjoyed it but had to delete due to disapproving looks from the partner when seeing it on the planner.
Old 12th November 2013, 07:59 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Gravity

First 3D movie I've seen and it certainly was effective. Wasn't my choice to see this but it was really good...incredibly tense throughout.
Old 12th November 2013, 08:04 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zann View Post
Gravity

First 3D movie I've seen and it certainly was effective. Wasn't my choice to see this but it was really good...incredibly tense throughout.
I saw it this morning – in 3D – and thought it was really good: engrossing, gripping and really well acted. It's an amazing visual spectacle and it's the first film I've seen where the 3D was used effectively, wasn't distracting and actually added to the viewing experience.
Old 12th November 2013, 08:23 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Watched the Sandra Bullock film, Premonition last night. Bit confusing at times but quite a good film with a few twists, which weren't that hard to predict 7/10
It's a sure sign of old age when you have to search this thread to see if the reason you recognise the film on TV is because you've already seen it but can't remember
Currently on Film4, I enjoyed 2 years ago, wonder if I still feel the same
ArgentoFan1987 likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 12th November 2013, 08:25 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by anythinggoes78 View Post
Yeah I sky+ it enjoyed it but had to delete due to disapproving looks from the partner when seeing it on the planner.
Next time, keep the sleaze and delete the partner!

Like this? Share it using the links below!