Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179676Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd August 2014, 10:06 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Just finished watching Brian Yuzna's Society

Didn't enjoy it as much as ROTLD 3 but still a decent film. 7/10.
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 3rd August 2014, 10:09 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
, how about Mike Leigh's brilliant MEANTIME?
I've always steered clear of Leigh's film. I tend to see them all as Kill List but without the happy ending.
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 4th August 2014, 08:18 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyman Joe View Post
In a Lonely Place - What a performance by Humphrey Bogart in this study of an embittered screenwriter with serious anger management issues and a shady past. Is he a killer though? It's hinted throughout that WW2 has screwed Bogie up but it's never addressed directly - if remade today this motivational stuff would be spoon fed to the audience but here it's left to the actor and remains ambiguous. Compulsive stuff and pretty tense for what is, essentially a character study.

The Killers (1946) - the first 15 minutes of this movie is truly incredible - Tarantino and Cronenberg amongst many plagiarists. The rest is brilliant too, Ava Gardner is hot, the Russian Doll plot is still innovative. Can't wait to see the 64 version and indeed the Tarkovsky (got the old 2 disc Criterion DVD for a tenner - well worth a pick up, picture is perfect and extras plentiful). I'm finally getting over my blu ray or nothing phase, pleased to say.

The Graduate - can't believe I'd never seen this, a real classic - music a bit overused for me - got a bit sick of Scarborough Fair in particular, but it's a minor quibble. How influential was this movie? Answer - extremely. Love the Mrs Robinson character and her twisted motives - thought initially she was protecting her daughter from suffering her own fate, when in reality she was just a selfish narcissist happy for (her) history to repeat itself. Except it's not quite that simple, of course....

Quick request - anyone seen/got an opinion on any Atom Egoyan movies? They're all 6 quid in Fopp for the blu rays but I've no idea if they're worth a punt. The Sweet Hereafter and Exotica look up my street from the descriptions. Cheers.
The Sweet Hereafter, The Adjuster and Exotica are all fantastic, the latter being one of my favourite films. Next Of Kin and Family Viewing are good films and certainly worth watching. I'm not a massive fan of his latter work, although Chloe has its moments. I watched Devil's Knot at the cinema a while back and thought it was poor.

Overall I think Egoyan is a very interesting director and at that price it's definitely worth picking a few of his films up. I paid nearly £20 for The Sweet Hereafter not that long ago.
keirarts and Handyman Joe like this.
Old 4th August 2014, 01:18 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenhooker View Post
The Sweet Hereafter, The Adjuster and Exotica are all fantastic, the latter being one of my favourite films. Next Of Kin and Family Viewing are good films and certainly worth watching. I'm not a massive fan of his latter work, although Chloe has its moments. I watched Devil's Knot at the cinema a while back and thought it was poor.

Overall I think Egoyan is a very interesting director and at that price it's definitely worth picking a few of his films up. I paid nearly £20 for The Sweet Hereafter not that long ago.
Cheers mate, I would direct everyone to the Artificial Eye sale at Fopp just now -- I got Le Havre for 6 quid (I'll be banging on about Kaurismaki in the near future - my find of the year so far) and The Great Beauty blu is 8. Most underrated label around IMO.
Old 4th August 2014, 03:23 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I've always steered clear of Leigh's film. I tend to see them all as Kill List but without the happy ending.
How droll. I therefore recommend Happy-Go-Lucky then....or Topsy Turvy

Watched as much of One Down Two To Go as the disc would let me...(froze after 1hr 5min!!!!!!!!) easily the very last gasp of blaxploitation (tis from '82 after all), The Hammer's rather leaden direction makes it less than its parts, including a rather mismanaged action sequence which misses the mark widely. Also the rather grimy print from GMVS (?? who they??) means I will never complain about another Hollywood dvd again haha.

So this means that I got to watch Nightmare At Noon earlier. Truly this has everything I love. Wings Hauser getting used as a punchbag, Brion James as an albino villian and the sheer chutzpah of the whole production rode me along till the end. More entertaining that EX3 by a mile.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 4th August 2014, 03:33 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Goal of the Dead (2014)

Olympique Des Paris turn up in a small town to play a cup tie against a lowly fourth tier team. However as the game gets underway a genetically engineered zombie style virus leaks out and a football match turns into a fight for survival.

Hyped Here in the UK as Shaun of the Dead at a football match, this is a lazy depiction of the film. If i was to describe it i would say it was a horror film produced in the style of the excellent Taxi movies from the Luc Besson stable. Serious subjects broached with a certain type of laugh out loud humour which has a French twist rather than the lads down the pub approach to the English Simon Pegg film.

The success of the film lies solely with the writing as it certainly isn't a conventional zombie film - there is no flesh eating for a start. The script is so well written that even very minor characters appear to be well rounded and therefore memorable during the brief scenes in which they pop up. Billed as a film of two halves which is a play on the old football cliche of a game of two halves, the film makers don't disappoint. The first fifty or so minutes is all getting to know you chat among the team, fans and a couple of really funny tv pundits, this half boasts some blackly comical humour and is a pleasure to watch. Once the match is over the film stops and the second half begins. It's totally unnecessary, but wholly original and a fun idea.

The second half of the film is a little run of the mill as various characters we already met in the first half, hole up in a bar and the fight for survival against the infected begins. Whilst still fun and darkly funny the horror aspect is upped and in a way it really isn't anything new to seasoned horror fans, the odd moment of laugh out loud humour aside.

On the whole Goal of the Dead is a wickedly, funny and most importantly original horror comedy. Highly recommended, to football fans especially.
Cheers for the review Dem i have to see this film
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 4th August 2014, 06:25 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

some recent viewings
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51XKGAHN4CL._SL500.jpg (55.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg fle.jpg (7.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg jor.jpg (25.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg rotor-1269201947.jpg (87.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg ThePossessor.jpg (102.0 KB, 2 views)
Old 4th August 2014, 07:54 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Tonights film was Mike Hodge's Get Carter which with its bleak and brutal grim up north worldview is a near perfect match to my mood after my first day back at work following my recent holiday.
Old 4th August 2014, 08:08 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Badlands is next up for me.
keirarts likes this.
Old 4th August 2014, 08:41 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Have you seen Andrew Parkinson's "Dead Creatures"? If Leigh ever made a zombie/horror film this is how it would be. A really interesting take on the zombie genre but one depressing film. It's certainly worth a look for zombie fans to see what can be done with the genre beyond shooting 'em in the head.
Frankie Teardrop likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!