Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179661Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th October 2014, 04:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Wracked with anger after Dr Who, i had to watch something that would cheer me up.

As I couldn't be bothered with anything new, I stuck on The Exorcist II: The Heretic (John Boorman, 1977), a film that never fails to have me in stitches.....when Hollywood mucks it up, they have to muck up big style. This is easily the pinnacle of the tendency to overblow everything imo.

Or to be slightly fairer, you could blame the director, who does love to lay on the symbolism with a trowel (see Zardoz, Excalibur etc).

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 20th October 2014, 04:34 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Murphy's law

Jack Murphy (Charles Bronson ) is set up for the murder of his stripper ex wife by a demented woman that he sent away. He escapes police custody with a young foul mouthed thief( Kathleen Wilhoite) and sets out to clear his name this soon becomes a matter of revenge when a ex partner is also killed. Jack also has to contend with a mobster who is after him for the killing of his brother. Like most of Bronson films it's very enjoyable thanks to his performance and both stars work well together and added greatly to the enjoyment of the film. 8/10

phantasm

A true classic. A truly unique and chilling atmospheric films, being my favourite of the franchise and being another of my favourite horrors. It wouldn't be half the film it is if it wasn't for the fantastic score and great characters. 10/10

Now watching first power followed by messiah of evil(not seen)

Edit

Now watching messiah of evil, I hope it's better than the awful opening song !

I love that song. But yes, it is

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 20th October 2014, 06:34 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The first power

Your usual cop hunting a serial killer film with a supernatural twist, that once said killer is caught and killed he gets "the first power" which allows him the powers of reincarnation and possesion. Not going to win any awards but very enjoyable and fast paced. 7.5/10

Messiah of evil

Really enjoyed this once you got past the opening song. A very unique and atmospheric and creepy movie. With lots of stand out moments like the cinema and supermarket which scenes leap to mind. Reminded me a lot of carnival souls in place. We have a young woman you ends up going to the town of point dune to look for her missing father, she meets 3 other strangers and it's not long before they find out their is something strange going on in this town. 10/10

Touch of death
A lesser effort from Fulci but still enjoyment to be had with the tale of killer who kills woman (very ugly ones) for money to help with his gambling problem, he also eats parts of his victims and feeds the rest to some pigs. Lots of gore and nudity and while I was watching it I coudnt help but think I had seen it before, in away I had as a lot of the scenes are reused in a cat in the brain. 7/10

Lizard in a woman's skin.

If touch of death was a lesser effort from Fulci we have a top tier movie here. We have a woman who has hallucinations of drug fuelled orgys and death. One of her dreams of killing her neighbour comes true.

we have a classic giallo, trying to decided if she did or didn't do it and if she didn't who did. A fanatstic psychdelic and visual style with plenty of red herrings and twist ending. 9.5/10

Now watching almost human followed by the dark side of the moon( I wish someone would bring this hidden gem to dvd, a favourite rental on VHS when I was a younger )

Last edited by trebor8273; 20th October 2014 at 07:57 PM.
Old 20th October 2014, 08:26 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Yesterday I watched on Blu.....

BILLION DOLLAR BRAIN
ZULU
INDEPENDENCE DAY

and
EXORCIST II:THE HERETIC-Looks stunning on Blu Ray!

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 20th October 2014, 08:32 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post
EXORCIST II:THE HERETIC-Looks stunning on Blu Ray!
Shame it's an absolute turd of a film!
Demoncrat and trebor8273 like this.
Old 20th October 2014, 08:42 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Compared to the original,yes,but it still has some striking scenes and Morricone's score is superb.
nosferatu42 likes this.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 20th October 2014, 10:18 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

YOU'RE NEXT - Fab home invasion with slasher trimmings from Adam Wingard. I saw it at the cinema when it first came out and remember feeling unimpressed - I enjoyed it much more on DVD for some reason. It takes the basic mechanics of a"family reunion attacked by unknown killers" type plotline and subverts them via various twists, particularly the one involving the neo-survivalist grad student crime fighting machine - yes, it's quite tongue in cheek and a bit arch on some levels, but it works even better as an in-yer-face slice of brutality. Once it gets started it doesn't let up, and gets pretty frantic with plenty of bloodshed. The aesthetics are really nice too - some great images flutter around in it like the one with a dead Larry Fessenden sitting on a sofa in the dark next to one of the animal mask wearing killers. Highly entertaining IMO although it does tend to split fans quite a lot.
Old 20th October 2014, 10:39 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
YOU'RE NEXT - .
I'd been put off a bit by the negativity on here, mainly from Bizarre_Eye i think. However your review makes it sound well worth the £3 Asda are currently asking for it.
Old 20th October 2014, 10:45 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I'd been put off a bit by the negativity on here, mainly from Bizarre_Eye i think. However your review makes it sound well worth the £3 Asda are currently asking for it.
My negativity should not get in the way of you potentially enjoying a film, Dem!
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 20th October 2014, 10:47 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post

Well worth the money. I think it's a brilliant film and have watched it 3 times already.

Like this? Share it using the links below!