Old 21st October 2014, 11:00 AM
Cult Acolyte

Dracula from 1958, it was on BBC4 last night
Old 21st October 2014, 11:21 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
The Forest (1982)

The Forest has been sat in my watch list for a while; mainly because it is one of those films I recall seeing and actually remembered parts of, but cannot recall ever sitting down to watch in its entirety.

Therefore, as I stumbled across it again as part of my trawl through Nightmare USA, I was looking forward to giving it my full attention.

Whilst not generally a highly lauded film within the slasher sub-genre I actually admire The Forest for attempting to break its slasher bonds a little by fusing various horror sub-genre elements together which results in a kind of 'Frankenstein's Monster' sort of film - and one that works rather than appearing cobbled together and throwing everything at the wall to see what sticks.

Whilst we have the well-trodden staple of 'young adults go camping in the woods away from civilization' angle, we also get a fairly relatable killer (rather than the crazed redneck/woodsman caricature) who is actually given a back story through flashback scenes, wherein we get to see how he became the psychotic killer that he now is.

Cannibalism is also thrown into the mix, what with our killer feasting on the flesh of his victims post-slaughter, and an interesting supernatural element too, which is heavily linked in to our crazed killer's past.

Overall, The Forest is a fun slasher hybrid, and although marred by some at times cringe-worthy over-acting and some unnecessarily long scenes, it managed to entertain me right up to its climax.

Originally posted here: Nightmare USA Films Discussion Thread
Good one for giving 'The Forest' some (limited) love... I've hardly ever heard a good word said about it, but I really like it for some unfathomable reason.
Old 21st October 2014, 11:38 AM
Cult Acolyte

My exam is in exactly 12 hours from now so these were the final movies I managed to fit in before then.

Cabin Fever - Quite appropriate of me to watch this the day before the remake news came out. Quite interesting watching this, because at first I hated the characters and thought it was slow, but by the time it swung into gear, I was actually loving it. Love him or hate him, Roth's direction of this is superb, its truly a well made horror movie, creepy, great atmosphere, everything. The only problem? The comedy. For a film that I keep seeing labelled as funny, or a black, it just felt like a good horror movie with the occasional stupid bit forced in. Yes the characters are allowed to be funny, and the side characters were hilarious, but the harmonica in the throat, the infamous "pancakes" sequence, and god forbid we talk about the "niggers" twist at the end. They felt awful and forced in an otherwise great movie. Also the continuous use of "gay" to mean bad in a non satirizing way? Very troublesome. Overwise, damn this was a good movie, very good atmosphere and direction, good effects, and gripped me. Might actually see the identical script remake. 9/10

Four Lions - A film I wanted to see for a while, and who wouldnt based on it's, god help me, "edgy" premise. Something that could have been so poor taste and forced, actually worked out really well.... For the first 35 minutes. From constantly being in hysterics, to eye rolling and boredom by the 50 minute mark. Jokes got overused, dumb characters truly exceeded realistic stupidity into realms of ridiculous. And then the ending so dark and out of place for the start of the film, actually made it quite sad. That being said, the credits are the sort of thing to bring out some small laughs through the tears (not mine thankfully). Nice appearance from Benedict Cumberpatch as well. Some very nice digs at culture revolving Islam as well, including their views of women, and the way society treats them. However, a great start ran out of jokes quickly and descended into something, literally, sad. 7/10

Corman's World - This is the kind of movie to make you want to make movies. The one who started exploitation and revolutionized the film industry, this touching enthralling documentary features famous faces like Jack Nicholson, Peter Fonda, and just about any prominent director of the past 30 years in America. Truly makes you appreciate the efforts of his career, the fun along the way, and just how truly great a person he is. Quite moving to see his efforts get recognized with an Oscar, and see Jack Nicholson well up thinking about him. Highly recommended. 10/10

Pan's Labyrinth - So very underwhelmed. These are the movies I don't like to watch. Depressing and sad, and very much a Spanish Civil War drama with the occasional scene of a girl's fantasy to help her cope. To advertise the whole movie on the fantasy that's barely in it made me feel cheated. To read all the massive praise and awards after, left me even more confused, because I felt it was just unfocused. Would have faired better focused on just her, or just Mercedes, but swapping made things messy. The CG feels dated already, but scenes with Doug Jones are certainly to be commended, especially the Pale Man scene. Maybe it'd be appreciated further on the next watch, but first time round, very average. 6/10

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 21st October 2014, 03:23 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I was extremely underwhelmed by Cabin Fever the only time I saw it, so it is probably well overdue a second viewing. I thought Four Lions was brilliant, but then I love Chris Morris's output; Pan's Labyrinth is a beautifully conceived and superbly acted film, which is both thoughtful and moving, and Corman's World is, as you said, a film which is a terrific celebration of Roger Corman's life and contribution to cinema history.
Old 21st October 2014, 03:30 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I was extremely underwhelmed by Cabin Fever the only time I saw it, so it is probably well overdue a second viewing. I thought Four Lions was brilliant, but then I love Chris Morris's output; Pan's Labyrinth is a beautifully conceived and superbly acted film, which is both thoughtful and moving, and Corman's World is, as you said, a film which is a terrific celebration of Roger Corman's life and contribution to cinema history.
Agreed on all points.
Old 21st October 2014, 07:13 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Almost human

We have the story of man that while with his girlfriend and best friend( a tubby Harry potter) ends up disappearing while investigating strange noise/lights upside his home. Jump forward 2 years and the man returns and goes on a bloody and murderous rampage while seeking his girlfriend. Very gory with hints of the thing and invasion of the body snatchers. A lot better than I was expecting with some great kills/ gore. 8.5/10

Teenage mutant ninja turtles (2014)

Better than I was expecting after a very dull opening half hour it soon picks up and the last half hour is a none stop action packed finale. The turtles are actually pretty good( if a little creepy looking) and there personalitys fit them pefectly. Once gain we see what a poor actress Megan Fox is, but hey she is never hired for her acting ability. Changes have been made to the characters of shredder and splinter. Not a film I think I will purchase. But it was enjoyable enough and should appeal to kids. 7/10

Now watching night flyer ( a bit of a guilty pleasure) followed by alien factor
Old 21st October 2014, 10:01 PM
Active Cultist

Megan is missing : From what I had heard I was going to be shocked by this film, I was shocked by how bad the acting was, it wasn't an enjoyable film most of the girls were dislikable Megans mum was a bitch and the*news reports felt outta place. The ending didn't feel right for two things first there wasn't enough room in the barrel for two and second the girl was too calm bearing in mind she was in a barrel with a dead decomposing body.

Anatomy of hell : fkin weird film need to watch either in English or with subtitles

Zombeavers : Great fun filled film think Tremors Piranhas Critters And your there well recomended
Old 22nd October 2014, 10:29 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Frankenstein Island (1981)

The well and oft trodden Frankenstein tale is given a twist and is then mashed together with healthy dollops of Island of Lost Souls to create what is the skeleton of Jerry Warren’s Frankenstein Island.

The film tells the tale of a party of hot air balloonists (and a dog) who crash land on a remote island that happens to be the home of a direct descendant of Dr. Frankenstein. The island is also inhabited by a selection of mutants, monsters, zombies, and scantily clad Amazonian women (who we later learn are actually aliens).

With a premise such as this you wouldn't expect the film to be as dull and dire as it is… The low budget is partly to blame, however even though the story had potential in the realms of whimsical cheese the execution was so poor in as much as it is let down on every conceivable side by the direction, acting, senseless plot, and special effects. I’m all for artistic expression but it seems as if the writers got high and shoe-horned every conceivable device that the miniscule budget would allow (and a lot that wouldn't) into the script, meaning that the end result is nothing more than a bloated but at the same time dreary mess of boredom and nonsense.

Ron would love it.

Originally posted here: Nightmare USA Films Discussion Thread
Old 22nd October 2014, 10:59 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I was at the cinema last night to see The Exorcist and it wasn't until the BBFC certificate appeared (saying "The Exorcist (Director's Cut)" that I knew which version I was going to see, but had assumed it was going to be the theatrical cut.

Anyway, as most of you know, it's a film I've seen well over 100 times, probably over 150, but only once before at the cinema: in 1998. Since then, I've bought it numerous times on Betamax, VHS, DVD, laserdisc and Blu-ray (and even Super 8) and studied it academically as it formed part of my MA dissertation when I studied International Film.

The Director's Cut, formerly known as The Version You've Never Seen, is my least favourite of the two versions but, because I hadn't seen that one at the cinema, I was anticipating it as much as if it has been the theatrical cut. Considering I can basically play the film from beginning to end in my head and know at least 90% of the screenplay, I was surprised to notice something I hadn't before (a moment when part of Tubular Bells is playing) and an object which, when I was writing my dissertation, I thought was one thing, was clearly something else and now requires me to completely reassess part of my dissertation!

One would realistically expect a horror film to lose impact after so many viewings, listening to commentary tracks, watching documentaries and reading books and essays about different interpretations and how it was made, yet it was still an incredibly powerful experience, not to the extent as it was 16 years ago when it changed not only how I perceived cinema, but my entire life, but was yet another affirmation that it is the greatest horror film ever made and one of the finest films of all time.
Old 22nd October 2014, 11:01 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

RESOLUTION - Really good indie 'meta-horror' flick in which a couple of dudes hole up in a derelict house on the edge of an Indian reservation. One of the guys is a Meth addict trying to kick (or at least, his friend chains him to a radiator in an attempt to push him through a withdrawal, not very good practice IMO)... things get strange when the pair start to receive / uncover various bits of media which seem to weave stories around their predicament. 'Resolution' initially appeared to work more in terms of the black comedy of a dysfunctional relationship, with the back-and-forth between the two providing much of the focus and some genuine amusement. The sinister bits seemed to drop in clunkily at first, but, once past midway, 'Resolution' took on a really eerie ambience which was sustained until the slightly unsatisfactory 'fourth wall' moment at the end. Even if you're not into the whole 'Cabin In The Woods' type thing I still recommend 'Resolution', a far more intimate, claustrophobic and, despite appearances, serious piece of work.

LESSON OF EVIL - A popular teacher is actually a creepy psychopath in Takashi Miike's 'Lesson of Evil'. He lurks around the film's subdued first half being popular but deceitful... one of his less socially endowed colleagues starts to investigate his past and triggers a chain of events which culminates in a high school bloodbath. Good stuff from the ever dependable Miike. 'Lesson Of Evil' takes time to tighten the screw before letting loose with its balls-out massacre, and all this is to very good effect, but I was particularly taken by the incidentals and eccentricities - the use of Brecht / Weill / 'Mack The Knife', the Cronenbergian shotgun with the eye (erm, what was that about, by the way?). Definitely worth a couple of hours of your time, with the promise of more to come.

OPEN GRAVE - Man wakes up in a pit full of corpses then finds himself in the company of several others who, like him, can't remember who or where they are. Highly satisfying horror-thriller which takes on the whole zombie-plague thing and rejigs it with a few twists around the themes of memory and identity. The emphasis is much more on the relationships between the amnesiac survivors than the plague world they seem to inhabit, and the film really benefits from this close focus, and is actually quite moving when all the cards are finally on the table and we know what's going on and who people really are. One of last year's better genre products for sure.

NIGHT OF THE DEMONS - The 2009 remake. I can't remember much about the original ,but I certainly don't see it as a sacred eighties cow or anything... if anything I have feeling I found it really slow and hard going. This 'Night Of The Demon' might be a bit of an antidote in some ways, being a film that knows exactly what it is - a DVD schlockfest full of over the top violence and rampaging demons. After it kicks in (we have to wade through a goth squat party first) there's little more to be said about it - over the top violence happens, as do rampaging demons. There are a couple of perverse moments - the lipstick gag from the first one goes south of the border here in a delightfully icky fashion, there's a maggoty demon orgy which is too short and only really glimpsed at, and there's a demon-possession-via-anal-ramming (which probably sounds better than it plays). Can't blame 'em for trying. Pretty entertaining.

BURNING BRIGHT - Taut little number about a woman who's trapped in a house with a tiger during a hurricane. She struggles to protect her autistic brother from the predations of this well angry beast. 'Burning Bright's set up could be viewed as contrived and awkwardly deliberate - house, hurricane, tiger, trapped - but it doesn't feel like this at all. Instead it feels, without any stylistic attempt to persuade, dream-like. It's an exercise in economy above all else, and really stretches its thin premise without ever breaking it - a film has to be considered a success if most of it's about two people running from one room to the next and it still works. And 'Burning Bright' does really work. Like I said, there's no attempt to stylise or be push the aesthetic aspects - the direction is very linear, maybe even flat, unadorned but subtle - but this lets a kind of odd, unreal feeling sink in somehow as the tension ramps up. A real find, I thought.

Like this? Share it using the links below!