All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179676Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd October 2014, 11:09 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Great write-ups as always, Frankie.

I've been lookng forward to catching Lesson of Evil, so it's nice to hear that Miike still hasn't lost his touch.
Old 22nd October 2014, 11:44 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I was at the cinema last night to see The Exorcist and it wasn't until the BBFC certificate appeared (saying "The Exorcist (Director's Cut)" that I knew which version I was going to see, but had assumed it was going to be the theatrical cut.

Anyway, as most of you know, it's a film I've seen well over 100 times, probably over 150, but only once before at the cinema: in 1998. Since then, I've bought it numerous times on Betamax, VHS, DVD, laserdisc and Blu-ray (and even Super 8) and studied it academically as it formed part of my MA dissertation when I studied International Film.

The Director's Cut, formerly known as The Version You've Never Seen, is my least favourite of the two versions but, because I hadn't seen that one at the cinema, I was anticipating it as much as if it has been the theatrical cut. Considering I can basically play the film from beginning to end in my head and know at least 90% of the screenplay, I was surprised to notice something I hadn't before (a moment when part of Tubular Bells is playing) and an object which, when I was writing my dissertation, I thought was one thing, was clearly something else and now requires me to completely reassess part of my dissertation!

One would realistically expect a horror film to lose impact after so many viewings, listening to commentary tracks, watching documentaries and reading books and essays about different interpretations and how it was made, yet it was still an incredibly powerful experience, not to the extent as it was 16 years ago when it changed not only how I perceived cinema, but my entire life, but was yet another affirmation that it is the greatest horror film ever made and one of the finest films of all time.
A film that does bear repeated viewing. Unlike its scrawny offspring cough...."I've made this journey before!" "Uh, How?" "....On the wings of a demon!"

And the tap dancing sequence. And James Earl Jones dressed like a locust....AAnyhow.....

Watched Dracula (1958, Terence Fisher) on BBC4.
Bonny tis. And LOUD. Taut and tightly plotted, what is there to say about this that hasn't been said already? From the bloody opening to the last swirl of dust, this hasn't really aged at all imo. Expertly placed piece of comedy as well (the border post scene), which I'd not noticed before (or had forgotten more than likely ahem).

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 22nd October 2014, 01:10 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
BURNING BRIGHT - Taut little number about a woman who's trapped in a house with a tiger during a hurricane. She struggles to protect her autistic brother from the predations of this well angry beast. 'Burning Bright's set up could be viewed as contrived and awkwardly deliberate - house, hurricane, tiger, trapped - but it doesn't feel like this at all. Instead it feels, without any stylistic attempt to persuade, dream-like. It's an exercise in economy above all else, and really stretches its thin premise without ever breaking it - a film has to be considered a success if most of it's about two people running from one room to the next and it still works. And 'Burning Bright' does really work. Like I said, there's no attempt to stylise or be push the aesthetic aspects - the direction is very linear, maybe even flat, unadorned but subtle - but this lets a kind of odd, unreal feeling sink in somehow as the tension ramps up. A real find, I thought.
I too found this really good. Very simplistic as you say, but it works. Whether it's the script, acting , direction or a combination of all three...it just works.
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 22nd October 2014, 01:52 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I too found this really good. Very simplistic as you say, but it works. Whether it's the script, acting , direction or a combination of all three...it just works.
I also thought it was a very well executed thriller – an interesting spin on a home invasion movie – and one in which they were working with a real – rather than CGI – tiger.

I reviewed the DVD a while ago: Burning Bright | Film 365
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 22nd October 2014, 02:27 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I also thought it was a very well executed thriller – an interesting spin on a home invasion movie – and one in which they were working with a real – rather than CGI – tiger.

I reviewed the DVD a while ago: Burning Bright | Film 365
The real tiger definitely helped as well.

Enjoyed the review Nos. I'll have to dig this out and give it another watch.
Old 22nd October 2014, 03:27 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I'll have to dig this out and give it another watch.
Having read my own review, so will I!
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 22nd October 2014, 04:16 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Also caught last 40 minutes of ITV4 pan & scan screening of A Reason To Live, A Reason To Die (Tonino Valerii, 1972).

Me want!!

Can anyone hip me to a decent dvd of this???

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 22nd October 2014, 05:54 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
I was at the cinema last night to see The Exorcist and it wasn't until the BBFC certificate appeared (saying "The Exorcist (Director's Cut)" that I knew which version I was going to see, but had assumed it was going to be the theatrical cut.

Anyway, as most of you know, it's a film I've seen well over 100 times, probably over 150, but only once before at the cinema: in 1998. Since then, I've bought it numerous times on Betamax, VHS, DVD, laserdisc and Blu-ray (and even Super 8) and studied it academically as it formed part of my MA dissertation when I studied International Film.

The Director's Cut, formerly known as The Version You've Never Seen, is my least favourite of the two versions but, because I hadn't seen that one at the cinema, I was anticipating it as much as if it has been the theatrical cut. Considering I can basically play the film from beginning to end in my head and know at least 90% of the screenplay, I was surprised to notice something I hadn't before (a moment when part of Tubular Bells is playing) and an object which, when I was writing my dissertation, I thought was one thing, was clearly something else and now requires me to completely reassess part of my dissertation!

One would realistically expect a horror film to lose impact after so many viewings, listening to commentary tracks, watching documentaries and reading books and essays about different interpretations and how it was made, yet it was still an incredibly powerful experience, not to the extent as it was 16 years ago when it changed not only how I perceived cinema, but my entire life, but was yet another affirmation that it is the greatest horror film ever made and one of the finest films of all time.
I love THE EXORCIST - Have you read my blog about it?
Old 22nd October 2014, 06:04 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bringer Of Funerals View Post
I love THE EXORCIST - Have you read my blog about it?
Yes, just. Your route to the film is very different to mine, which is outlined here: Becoming a film addict | Film 365
Old 22nd October 2014, 06:21 PM
Cult Acolyte

Have you bought the ANTHOLOGY BLU of THE EXORCIST?

Like this? Share it using the links below!