All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree180035Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th October 2014, 06:59 AM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
I hold my head in shame and say i've seen no films recently, or bought anything for that matter, been watching American Horror story on netflix.
Still as close to a horror film as Tv comes i suspect. Just basically takes everything from the films we love, throws it at the wall and see's what sticks.
Particularly liked the boy/ghost/psycho kinda reminded me of a young Malcolm Mcdowell,Clockwork orange n' all that.
Started the seconds season now, it's got a possessed nun,so everythings good with me.
I know this should go on the TV thread but nobody looks at that and it's got the production values surpassing many actual films,so what the hell.
AHS has been discussed on the TV thread...we all stopped watching the first series as it was shit!
Old 30th October 2014, 07:15 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
'Gator Bait (1974)

'Gator Bait is prime hicksploitation crammed full of gun-toting, dumb-talking rednecks, swamp water and 'gators. Oh, and Playboy Playmate Claudia Jennings as the self-sufficient and savvy swamp dwelling 'gator poaching Desiree Thibodeau.

What starts of as a simple, shady stalking quickly blows up out of all proportion as the local sheriff's son, deputy Billy Boy and his cohort Ben Bracken are shadowing Desiree through the swamp with the notion of some quick and easy sexual satisfaction on their minds. However, when the two parties confront each other all hell breaks loose leading to Billy accidentally sinking his pa's boat and shooting Ben dead in the process.

Distraught Billy Boy blunders back to town and blames Desiree for the murder leading to the sheriff to round up a posse consisting of himself, Billy Boy and the Bracken men. They then all set off for the swamps with the intention of catching Desiree and bringing her to justice.

They instead stumble across Desiree's residence, where she lives and looks after her younger siblings and the out of control hicks exact revenge on her family. Desiree then proceeds to take it upon herself to ensure that the men won't leave her swamp alive...

Whilst decidedly tongue in cheek throughout, 'Gator Bait exhibits a cold, nasty streak below its murky surface, which gradually rises up like a 'gator from the depths of a swamp as the bodies start to pile up, and acts to balance out the often screwball redneck capering somewhat. Certainly worth a look for exploitation fans.

Originally posted here: Nightmare USA Films Discussion Thread
I never heard of this sounds great I will have to hunt down a copy.
Old 30th October 2014, 10:54 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
AHS has been discussed on the TV thread...we all stopped watching the first series as it was shit!
Well i liked it.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 30th October 2014, 01:01 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

The Ghost Dance (1980)

The Ghost Dance tells the tale of a long dead warrior whose spirit possesses the body of a Native American medicine man and causes him to go on a killing spree.

The bulk of the film plays out more as a mystery, with a group of anthropology students trying to determine the warrior spirit's origins, all the while occasionally being picked off by our maniacal possessed medicine man.

Despite the performances generally being quite credible, the pace is unfortunately pretty slow and the suspense fairly lacking.

If you are looking for a dull Native American themed supernatural slasher film which seems to spend a fair chunk of its running time in the dark then this may be for you.

Originally posted here: Nightmare USA Films Discussion Thread
Old 30th October 2014, 02:56 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watched Noah & Under The Skin. Wish I'd waited haha.

Aranofsky's adaption of the biblical tale is fairly evenly handled. The women are poorly served by the script (well, it IS a bible story after all cough cough), and Watson's performance is underwhelming. winstone does 'is usual geezer bit...fair enough, but whilst this is meant to represent the animal-in-man, I felt that ANYONE would have been better (excluding Rob Schneider natch). The visual touches were few and far between, with only one stand out image for me (the second "revelation" etc). Will watch again, but DA's weakest film yet IMO.

Under The Skin truly exemplefied (?) the legend "based on the novel...." as it shares the same title, and same basic plot.....and bugger all else, the book being more scifi (and set in Rosshire!!!). Despite this, I liked the film. Whilst I saw why it divided folk here, I was in the mood for it's mood if you know what I mean cough.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 30th October 2014, 04:25 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Tremors

It wouldn't be half the film it is if it wasn't for the fanatstic characters and cast and the tongue in cheek atmosphere. Think it wouldn't of been half as entertaining if it had been more serious. 8/10

The fog

One of Carpenters most atmospheric movies. The past sins of the town of Antonia Bay come back to haunt it one night in the form of the crew of a leper colony ship, which was betrayed to there death by the founding fathers of the town. the crew come back as zombies to exact there murdeorous revenge a 100 hundreds years after their deaths at sea.

As I said one of carpenters most atmospheric movies, helped by a great cast and disturbing and creepy zombies. A classic 10/10

Tonight's viewings are deliver us from evil which I was going to watch last night but decided on the fog , followed by pumpkinhead and twice dead (or rec.)

Last edited by trebor8273; 30th October 2014 at 08:45 PM.
Old 30th October 2014, 06:04 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Local Hero.
Classic.

Beggars belief this hasn't bee released on Blu.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 30th October 2014, 06:06 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post
Local Hero.
Classic.

Years since I've seen it, can't remember much apart from it was one of my mothers favourite films
Old 30th October 2014, 06:58 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post
Local Hero.
Classic.

It's also surprising that, as far as I know, the R1 release is the only one with an anamorphic picture.
Old 30th October 2014, 08:29 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
Well i liked it.
I wonder why?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg th (1).jpg (10.5 KB, 2 views)
nosferatu42 likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!