Old 26th January 2015, 10:08 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Yeah, I saw that on Melonfarmers the other day

http://www.melonfarmers.co.uk/hitsw.htm
I'll wait till it drops to a fiver then pick up the UK release as i too have read a lot of poor reviews.

I quite fancy it from the trailer though.
Old 27th January 2015, 09:25 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

BLOOD WIDOW – In some ways 'Blood Widow' could be thought of as a fairly so-so movie, but I ended up quite liking it. It's a low budget American indie slasher which falls back on genre formula, although it does seemingly have ambitions beyond this. A couple moves into an isolated house: isolated, that is, apart from the other house nearby which used to be an orphanage (or something) where some bad shit happened. A housewarming party ends with a few slayings courtesy of a figure in a mask from that other mysterious house, who then seems to home in on the film's female lead. It's difficult to know whether 'Blood Widow's various overly familiar scenes are deliberate acts of homage, or simply expressions of a limited palate – there does seem to be something quite knowing and deliberate about it all, though. The film's bad guy, a woman in a porcelein mask, is fairly striking, and seems redolent of a Cenobite almost. There;s some good gore, and the atmosphere at points seems weirdly dream like. Many will be nonplussed by the off-hand, casual ending (if not the film itself), but 'Blood Widow', despite in some ways being a film you've seen many many times before, does have enough of an edge to it for me to recommend it to microbudget fanciers.

HONEYMOON – Is simply excellent, my second must-see of the year after 'Alleluia'. A couple on their honeymoon visit a log cabin (yeah I know), where their marriage unravels in a surprisingly gloopy manner. 'Honeymoon' spends a lot of time setting up, and it needs to – the film is basically about a relationship. So it's a slow-build, but the unease that sets in throughout is genuine. Most of this hinges around the male lead's gradual alienation from his new wife, who becomes increasingly distant. Is she having an affair? What, or who, is she covering up? Relationship insecurities give way to the realisation that something is horribly wrong, and 'Honeymoon's climactic escalation, into body horror and beyond, is really quite harrowing. The film plays with ambiguity and perspective, but the resolution is concrete (ie something freaky and sci-fi is definitely happening, it's not just in the guy's head), which I thought was a brave move and in this case it really works. And, although most of the 'horror' is carried by dialogue and character etc, the final eruption into slime isn't grating, and features some moments which are surprisingly icky for a 15 cert. 'Anti-Christ' may have had better aesthetics, but 'Honeymoon' packs a greater emotional punch for all its genre trappings, and for me is the more powerful film. More than lives up to the hype. See it!
Old 27th January 2015, 09:56 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

American Sniper (2014)

Based on the book American Sniper: The Autobiography of the Most Lethal Sniper in U.S. Military History, a memoir by former U.S. Navy SEAL Chris Kyle, a man with 160 confirmed kills was written for the screen by Jason Hall and directed by Clint Eastwood. It plays around with timeline, beginning in Iraq with Kyle looking down the scope on his sniper rifle as a military age man with a cellphone appears on a balcony overlooking a group of Marines entering the town. As Kyle relays what he sees, the man disappears and a woman and young boy exit the building onto the road, with the woman obviously carrying something – a large grenade – as she walks towards the troops with her son. Kyle asks if his superiors – probably watching drone footage – have a visual and, when they reply they don't, say it's his call.

The film then flashes back to Kyle growing up, being taught to hunt by his father and then enlisting in the Navy after the Al Qaeda bombings of US embassies in Tanzania and Kenya. After graduating and becoming a sniper in the SEALs, Kyle marries and, after the September 11 attacks, is deployed to Iraq, earning the nickname 'Legend' due to his unerring accuracy and reputation. As the military is on the hunt for Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, Kyle learns there is a bounty on his head and he is being targeted by 'Mustafa" a Syrian marksman and Olympic medallist.

American Sniper is a peculiar film because it's not as intense as Black Hawk Down, nor does it have the dramatic tension of Enemy at the Gates. I also didn't think it was as intelligent a look at warfare as Jarhead (also based on a book by a former sniper) or, in terms of the 'War on Terror', Zero Dark Thirty. It also feels disjointed because it permanently struggles to reconcile Clint Eastwood's more nuanced worldview with Chris Kyle's much more Manichaean outlook, which appears to take precedence and will probably sit well with those who sympathise with the 'us against them' simplification of the problems with terrorists and criminals who follow a violent and radical form of Islam. There are some extremely well designed and shot sequences, and Bradley Cooper is very good, but it is extremely mediocre for a film nominated for the Best Picture Oscar, and the scenes with a doll instead of a real baby are almost inexplicable in a fairly big budget Hollywood film – the doll is extremely distracting and unintentionally amusing.

I understand why some will see it as propaganda, as it would be easy for it to be used for those purposes (it finishes with real footage of Chris Kyle's funeral and memorial service), but ultimately just left me with a feeling of "is that it?".

It does its best to tackle the issue of former servicemen adjusting to civilian life with physical and mental scars, but that has also been done better in other films, particularly the documentary Hell and Back Again. Because the film fails to show Iraqis as humans, thus glorifying the war and American combatants – particularly Kyle who described them in his book as 'savages' –American Sniper is deeply troubling.

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 27th January 2015 at 10:11 AM.
Old 27th January 2015, 11:33 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
American Sniper (2014)

Based on the book American Sniper: The Autobiography of the Most Lethal Sniper in U.S. Military History, a memoir by former U.S. Navy SEAL Chris Kyle, a man with 160 confirmed kills was written for the screen by Jason Hall and directed by Clint Eastwood. It plays around with timeline, beginning in Iraq with Kyle looking down the scope on his sniper rifle as a military age man with a cellphone appears on a balcony overlooking a group of Marines entering the town. As Kyle relays what he sees, the man disappears and a woman and young boy exit the building onto the road, with the woman obviously carrying something – a large grenade – as she walks towards the troops with her son. Kyle asks if his superiors – probably watching drone footage – have a visual and, when they reply they don't, say it's his call.

The film then flashes back to Kyle growing up, being taught to hunt by his father and then enlisting in the Navy after the Al Qaeda bombings of US embassies in Tanzania and Kenya. After graduating and becoming a sniper in the SEALs, Kyle marries and, after the September 11 attacks, is deployed to Iraq, earning the nickname 'Legend' due to his unerring accuracy and reputation. As the military is on the hunt for Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, Kyle learns there is a bounty on his head and he is being targeted by 'Mustafa" a Syrian marksman and Olympic medallist.

American Sniper is a peculiar film because it's not as intense as Black Hawk Down, nor does it have the dramatic tension of Enemy at the Gates. I also didn't think it was as intelligent a look at warfare as Jarhead (also based on a book by a former sniper) or, in terms of the 'War on Terror', Zero Dark Thirty. It also feels disjointed because it permanently struggles to reconcile Clint Eastwood's more nuanced worldview with Chris Kyle's much more Manichaean outlook, which appears to take precedence and will probably sit well with those who sympathise with the 'us against them' simplification of the problems with terrorists and criminals who follow a violent and radical form of Islam. There are some extremely well designed and shot sequences, and Bradley Cooper is very good, but it is extremely mediocre for a film nominated for the Best Picture Oscar, and the scenes with a doll instead of a real baby are almost inexplicable in a fairly big budget Hollywood film – the doll is extremely distracting and unintentionally amusing.

I understand why some will see it as propaganda, as it would be easy for it to be used for those purposes (it finishes with real footage of Chris Kyle's funeral and memorial service), but ultimately just left me with a feeling of "is that it?".

It does its best to tackle the issue of former servicemen adjusting to civilian life with physical and mental scars, but that has also been done better in other films, particularly the documentary Hell and Back Again. Because the film fails to show Iraqis as humans, thus glorifying the war and American combatants – particularly Kyle who described them in his book as 'savages' –American Sniper is deeply troubling.
Excellent review, Nos.
Old 27th January 2015, 06:07 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Mad Doctor of Blood Island (1969)

Deep in the jungles of Blood island, a rogue scientist is using chlorophyll on his patients turning them into green blooded monstrous mutations.

Sequel of sorts to the previous years Brides of Blood and the second of producer / director Eddie Romero's Filipino Blood Island series of low budget exploiters. The film has much going for it. Romero utilizes the heavenly island locations and native islanders to great effect creating a lush surreal horror film which seems far more than the sum of it's cheap parts.

Roping in AIP star John Ashley proves a selling point and adds a bit of gravitas to the cheap gore and leering camera work as we are treated to graphic killings and gratuitous nudity galore in this marvellously bizarre creature feature.

Daylight bright, day for night photography and dodgy dubbing aside, Mad Doctor of Blood Island is definitely worth your attention...maybe!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6a00d83451d04569e2015391997907970b-800wi.jpg (107.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 27th January 2015, 06:46 PM
Cult Acolyte

OUT OF THE UNKNOWN ( BBC tv )
Classic sci fi anthology series from the late 60s / early 70s, which began by adapting stories from classic sf writers ( Asimov , John Wyndham etc ) but in latter days began to diversify with other writers and themes. By the time of the 4th and final series, it had evolved into tales of the supernatural. Like all anthology series, it wasn't always successful, but the episodes that remain are more hits than misses and have been restored by the BFI in a fabulous boxset.

THE DAY THE EARTH CAUGHT FIRE
More classic sci fi, this time of the cinematic variety. Directed by Val Guest, this is a superb and very bleak tale of simultaneous nuclear bombs exploded by the USA and Russia, which tilt the Earth off its axis, leading to dramatic weather changes and an ultimate collision course with the sun, all situated around the offices of the Daily Express. It's a totally absorbing film, with sparkling dialogue, characters you care about and terrific ( if a little of their time ) visual effects from Les Bowie and his team, as well as cleverly intercut stock footage. There is very little incidental music, which adds to the downbeat feel and the whole thing is presented as a stunning blu ray from the BFI. Highly recommended.
Old 27th January 2015, 10:23 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Whiplash is quite simply brilliant. Of course it's a caricature of the extremes and sacrifices that both pupil and mentor must go to excel, but sometimes the simple lines of a cartoon help to reveal a more complex truth. If there is a better film released in cinemas this year then it will have been a great year.
Old 28th January 2015, 08:55 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Happy Birthday to me.

this dvd has appalling artwork, just red writting and a candle ffs!. I know the original art with the kebab caused outrage among sad idiots with no life in the 80's but we have come a long way.

Enyoyable yarn maybe runs longer than it needs to,it is hard to believe but if not taken seriously a fun way to pass some time without much concentration needed.

Devils Rock

this 2011 is plain silly but great fun,the plot is pathetic,the acting is diabolical but it is still a great funtime. LOL @ the demons voice being voiced by Shortland street actress Geraldine Brophy,she will always be receptionist Moira Crombie to me in the NZ soap. Maybe though after her character was axed in 2001 she was desperate for work..which is obvious here. If anyone wants a nazi apocalypse demon voiced give me a yell I have a spare hour!
keirarts likes this.
Old 28th January 2015, 11:52 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Chill (2007, Serge Rodnunsky)
Die Monster Die! (Daniel Heller, 1969)

Whilst both are "based" on HPL stories, I tried to ignore that and enjoy them under their own right. Sadly. I. Just. Couldn't. Easier with Chill, as tis a real stinker on many levels. James Russo seems to be in another film, the villian resembled a chubby Dave Vanian , which counterbalanced the non chubby Ashley Laurence (who I didn't recognise for 20 minutes cough!!) and the denoument just made it up as it went along (and nae in that Franco way either!!) Ahem. 0/10.

DMD I had tried to watch years back, but remembered having a violent reaction at the time to it. Not as bad this time, and as it resembles the origin story in the same way as Heller's Dunwich Horror i.e. two lines of dialogue reference the origin story etc, I tried to enjoy it on it's own merit. But it's so silly!!! Set in England for a start. Karloff looks really knackered. The "leads" are as wooden as The Golem, but not as animated. Some nice set design, which sadly reeks of Poe (re-used sets?? tis Corman after all...), is about all this film has to offer imho. 1/10.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 28th January 2015, 11:55 AM
Cult Addict

Isn't the Golem made of stone?, but i get what you mean.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.

Like this? Share it using the links below!