All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179676Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th January 2016, 09:19 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
You are indeed correct, Mr. Harker!

Avatar is nothing more than a shallow, unoriginal, empty shell of a film that is the epitome of style over substance. I'd rather watch Batman and Robin back-to-back for a week than have to endure Avatar again.
Ok, thanks. Just so I'm clear.
Old 9th January 2016, 09:21 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Default What Films Have You Seen Recently?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452378142.937424.jpg

Fantastic atmospheric gothic chiller staring scream queen Barbra Steele that oozes atmosphere and also deals with the subject of necrophila which even today is a taboo subject, let alone for a movie from the 60s 8/10

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452378004.633133.jpg

50s b movie this time dealing with a giant mantis. Far better 50s monster movies out their. 4.5/10

Next up

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452378097.845443.jpg
Old 9th January 2016, 09:59 PM
Cult Addict

Wer

For 99p in cash gen I started watching this Werewolf movie with low expectations, keeping my fingers crossed that I'd at least get a slice of low budget cheese, something sorely needed after a long, long day. I was pleasantly surprised to find I actually quite rated this one.
Essentially its about a defence team hired to defend an odd bloke from a murder charge. He's a scruffy Romanian immigrant in France and the solicitors first instinct is frame up. The murder in question looks very much like an animal attack and frankly the suspect doesn't seem capable. The movie then shifts gears somewhat into something more action oriented as it turns out he's more than capable and more than human as he publicly transforms and begins killing police prompting a brutal man hunt.
Its weird to find a film on DVD that actually feels like a fresh approach to a stale sub-genre. Werewolves seem to be almost as passe as Vampires and I half expect to see one sparkle in a film sometime soon, at that point I will beg for something that really brings the creature back to its old school roots. For now however this will suffice. Its not perfect, few films are, but its actually bloody entertaining. Certainly the most fun I've had with a werewolf since HOWL.
Old 9th January 2016, 10:47 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Ant-Man - after the noisy, overblown 'Avengers - Age of Ultron', 'Ant-man' was a refreshing return to what I think comic-book films should be ... fun! A nice straightforward narrative of a loser-made-good means that the characters can really breathe and as a result, I found myself caring about the plight of the main protagonists much more than in other films in the genre. The CGI is seamless and there is a genuine creativity and flair in some of the set-pieces, making great use of the, frankly ludicrous, premise. On paper, this should be a mere footnote in the Marvel canon but, for me, this is best comic-book adaptation since the Sam Raimi 'Spiderman' films. Recommended!
Old 9th January 2016, 11:50 PM
Cult Addict

The Lazarus effect

From bumhouse productions, another 99p cash gen cheapie that seems to be the flip side of the coin to Wer. Essentially its Flatliners for people who masturbate to Ikea catalogues. Essentially its about a group of "scientists" who develop a serum that can bring people back, however they come back 'wrong'. Not in some fun way, like having to stop an enraged black kitty with a shovel fun. Nope its all "I was in hell" with hell as imagined by a stoned 15 year old kid. It also seems to bring you back as some sort of super psychic and Olivia wilde (yum!) ends up wandering the lab offing her mates in rather dull ways. Its pretty boring, its best ideas come from better films and it just sort of fizzles out. If you have nothing else to watch read a book. If not take some high quality acid, shit your pants and watch flatliners on a portable telly under the stairs and you'll probably have more fun. This bland turd of a film can go back up bumhouses jacksie.

Plus I want to remember olivia wilde like this when I crack one off....

tron.jpg
Old 10th January 2016, 02:13 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I agree with keirarts about this, because I saw Mad Max: Fury Road earlier this week and it was everything I wanted it to be, and more. The choreography of everything to do with the vehicle chases was extraordinary, the design of the vehicles to the carnage which unfolded and the men bouncing from side to side on long poles. The characters were better developed than I expected, as was the acting, and overall for the visual storytelling was clever and spectacular.
Fair play i didnt dislike it but i found the cgi and fake background stuck out a mile during the whole entire film, amd guess that what put me off the film really even my two friends who watched made similar comment.
I read reviews on forums and imdb and its split the audience some saying ssme as you and others saying same as me.
But in all honesty you can have a film become the best film ever but you still get some ppl who hate it and vice versa can be classed as shittest film off the year amd someone will disagree. Each to their own at end of the day.
keirarts and profondo rosso like this.
Old 10th January 2016, 10:41 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
Ant-Man - after the noisy, overblown 'Avengers - Age of Ultron', 'Ant-man' was a refreshing return to what I think comic-book films should be ... fun! A nice straightforward narrative of a loser-made-good means that the characters can really breathe and as a result, I found myself caring about the plight of the main protagonists much more than in other films in the genre. The CGI is seamless and there is a genuine creativity and flair in some of the set-pieces, making great use of the, frankly ludicrous, premise. On paper, this should be a mere footnote in the Marvel canon but, for me, this is best comic-book adaptation since the Sam Raimi 'Spiderman' films. Recommended!
I felt the same, Ant Man felt fresh and fun, some laugh out loud funny moments after I felt like I was coming down with overkill of Marvel films / shows etc

Also watched Interstellar last night for the first time and thought it was very good, and as someone who has an interest in space travel / science / astronomy etc I got a lot of the science behind it but could not help thinking that the layman watcher, just interested in a blockbuster movie would get a little lost at times. My missus got me pause the film 6 times to clarify what was going on, we ended up discussing wormholes / time differentials etc not something you would do in a cinema!

I hope they make more films like this going forward so we look out more instead of in, no more rom com crap, more mind expansion please, after all what could be better than inspiring the next generation whilst being entertained?
Old 10th January 2016, 03:43 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

The Master (2012)

59/100
Old 10th January 2016, 03:51 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
The Master (2012)

59/100
I'm slightly surprised by that score because I think The Master is a brilliant film, and Paul Thomas Anderson is one of the few directors who hasn't made a dud. In fact, I can't think of anything he has directed which I would give a score of lower than 8/10.
keirarts likes this.
Old 10th January 2016, 04:58 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I'm slightly surprised by that score because I think The Master is a brilliant film, and Paul Thomas Anderson is one of the few directors who hasn't made a dud. In fact, I can't think of anything he has directed which I would give a score of lower than 8/10.
Whilst very well-acted it was a little dull at times and overly long to the extent that I found myself 'clock-watching' in places - an equivalent of a 6/10 score is far from a dud by my way of thinking though. I also recently watched Inherent Vice, which although attracted a higher score (the equivalent of 7/10) from me also seemed lower than the general majority of folks who have watched it. I have yet to see a post-2000 PTA film that has really wowed me... although There Will Be Blood did come close.
keirarts likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!