Like Tree180365Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th March 2016, 05:36 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjconstable View Post
Hail, Caesar! (2016) - 4/5

I'll probably need another viewing to completely get to grips with the intricacies of the plot but I got most of it and its subtext - another intelligent, stylish, and funny film from the Coen bros! Would have liked Scarlett to have been in it more, and man Channing Tatum has improved so much.
Im hoping to see this tomorrow after work!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 8th March 2016, 07:26 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457468191.479128.jpg

Enjoyable Classic Disney that looks fantastic on blu ray, the animation might be simple by today's standards but I found it had a certain charm that fitted the film and made it more interesting looking than a lot of modern animated films. Mind the prince was next too useless without the fairies and I can't understand why they didn't just use the sword a lot earlier. But I suppose that wouldn't show us that true love is the most powerful magic of all 8/10

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457468434.406259.jpg

Excellent live action version of the Cinderella story that for me worked better than the animated classic thanks to a good cast and direction. I thought maleficent was a slightly better movie, with it being done from maleficents point of view and her be more complex Than the evil character we know. 7.9/10

Now watching

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457468737.055329.jpg

Which will be followed by

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457468813.810450.jpg

Last edited by trebor8273; 8th March 2016 at 07:53 PM.
Old 8th March 2016, 08:48 PM
Cult Addict

NINJA VENGEANCE

A small town is dominated by it's brutal police force who also happen to be the local branch of the KKK...a drifter arrives in town skilled in the arts of Ninjutsu..

Fun shite with excessive use of forward rolly pollies. Recommended for those who find the American Ninja films too intellectually challenging.
Old 8th March 2016, 10:28 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (2001)

Only the second time i've seen this film. The first was way back when it first hit dvd, fifteen years ago. Although i have all the films except the very last one i can't remember a damned thing about them. I probably nodded through the majority of them the only time i've bothered with them.

You know what? It wasn't bad at all. Some of the effects looked a little dodgy, but i'm not expecting that to be an issue with the other films as this opening chapter made gazilions at the box office so i trust the fx budget went up for subsequent outings.

There's no point going into the plot, it's fairly formulaic anyway, it just seems occasionally unfathomable due to author JK Rowling's bizarre yet daft names of characters and, well, pretty much everything.

A fine cast of Brit thesps ,including Richard Harris and Alan Rickman, give what could have been a minor kids film much needed gravitas and help to ensure i'll be back in the next day or two to watch Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Philostone.jpg (98.0 KB, 2 views)
Old 9th March 2016, 11:01 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (2001)

Only the second time i've seen this film. The first was way back when it first hit dvd, fifteen years ago. Although i have all the films except the very last one i can't remember a damned thing about them. I probably nodded through the majority of them the only time i've bothered with them.

You know what? It wasn't bad at all. Some of the effects looked a little dodgy, but i'm not expecting that to be an issue with the other films as this opening chapter made gazilions at the box office so i trust the fx budget went up for subsequent outings.

There's no point going into the plot, it's fairly formulaic anyway, it just seems occasionally unfathomable due to author JK Rowling's bizarre yet daft names of characters and, well, pretty much everything.

A fine cast of Brit thesps ,including Richard Harris and Alan Rickman, give what could have been a minor kids film much needed gravitas and help to ensure i'll be back in the next day or two to watch Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.
I 1st saw the film on VHS
Old 9th March 2016, 04:28 PM
Cult Addict

What have i seen lately then..
Jeremiah Johnson,
Sidney Pollacks 1972 western stars Robert Redford as an ex soldier who retreats from civilisation and heads into the rocky mountains seeking a life of peace and solitude.
Redfords an actor I've never really taken too, but he's not bad here, the real star is the stunning snowy Utah locations anyway.

The Equalizer

An update of the 80s (?) series I've never actually seen which starred Edward Woodward.
Here Denzel Washington takes over the role of Robert McCall a mysterious retired spy/soldier/intelligence agent. Now living a normal life as a shopworker McCall is spurred into vigilante action when a young hooker (Chloe Grace Moretz) is badly beaten and hospitalized by her Russian pimp. Things spiral and before long McCall finds himself up against a major Russian mob outfit.
I really enjoyed this film and i quite liked that Denzel was pretty much this unstoppable killing machine lurking behind an anonymous everyman exterior. I also like that the film took its time, without out staying it's welcome it managed to fit in a few little subplots further establishing Denzels character.
Old 9th March 2016, 05:20 PM
Cult Veteran

Just come out of the cinema to see The Coen's Hail Caesar! It was a great film, took a little to get going so I can't give it full marks. Ralph Fiennes and Channing Tatum stole the show and the scene with the sailors was a stand out for me!
Frances McDormand and Scarlet Johansson both deserved much more screen time though!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 9th March 2016, 05:31 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Going to see the much buzzed about The Witch on Saturday, anyone else seen it yet?
Old 9th March 2016, 06:24 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy
BITE THE BULLET (1975)

Enjoyable western which revolves around a 700mile horse race.The race brings in people from various backgrounds and they learn about each others lives as the film runs. The movie follows their adventures and heart aches across some superb locations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Jan Michael Vincent punching horses in the head left a sour taste with that film. Tosser!
Yeah, I know what you mean. I think most DVD's and TV broadcasts in the U.K are now cut to some extent and also have cuts to horse falls.
Old 9th March 2016, 07:49 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Rosewood Lane (2011)

Rose McGowan plays a radio talk show host who moves back into her childhood home following the suspicious death of her father only to find herself seemingly stalked by the local paperboy.

Despite being a familiar subject matter, Rosewood Lane is actually an enjoyable little chiller. McGowan does well in the lead role and the film has some fine scenes of creeping tension. The idea of a malevolent paperboy who maybe isn't quite what he seems was rather interesting even if we aren't actually given any answers by director Victor Salva, though he does like to indulge in the sheer bizarreness of it all including disturbing uses of nursery rhymes.

If you can ignore the fact it was directed by Salva and the ambiguous, what the ****? ending, Rosewood Lane is a half decent thrill ride.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rosewood_Lane_(film).jpg (45.2 KB, 3 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!