Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179985Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th March 2016, 02:06 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I love Zombie Flesh Eaters, and i think i always will. The first time i saw it age 14, i was eating beans on toast and almost vomited when Auretta Gay get's her throat bitten out.

Films like The Beyond and House by the Cemetery, i loved earlier on in life but have since fallen out with them in recent years. Preferring the likes of Cat in the Brain, Murder Rock and Perversion Story.

I don't feel the majority of his so called fan faves stand up to much scrutiny or oft-repeated viewings. City of the Living Dead seems to grow on me more and more though. Maybe because it's so disjointed.

Mostly agree. The ones he's best known for are overrated. Still great in some ways, though - I just can't watch them now because I've seen them countless, countless times over the years and it's almost as if I can't take them in anymore, a bit like a favourite song overplayed. That said, unlike you, I've never rated ZFE that highly.

My Fulci cherry bustin' experience was with 'The Beyond' when I was 16. It was the heavily cut Elephant video release. The print was wrongly framed, the quality was bad and the gore was gone, but the atmospheric core was intoxicating and that was enough to lure me further into the more 'underground' areas of horror. Back then, Fulci seemed like exotic territory - now he's a two bit HMV pick up. But, the price of availability is the loss of mystery.
Old 12th March 2016, 02:22 PM
Cult Addict

I only got round to watching Murder Rock recently and i really enjoyed it, i wasn't in that much of a hurry to see it because of so many bad reviews.
I really like Cat in the brain too, it's just the dementedness of it all.
I've also gone off House over the years, i still like it though when i watch it, ZombieFE has really good set pieces but i don't rate it as highly as some do.
My favourites are the Beyond and City, because of the bizarre scenes and plot(ahem) elements.
oh and of course Lizard and Duckling.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 12th March 2016, 10:17 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Everest (2015)

Heart stopping true life story about two expeditions and their attempt to reach the summit of Everest in 1996, as a terrible storm approaches.

Fascinating, gripping and er' blood chilling account of a real event, thankfully without any fiction added as basically it just wasn't needed. You care for everyone and the large cast does well making each character both believable and emotionally involving despite not having much to work with in some cases.

A tension arose in the opening minutes and never let up until the credits rolled. Both the hazards of the mountain and the terrifying storm, as well as gluing me to my seat, made me ask one question.

Why the **** would you pay $65,000 to put yourself through this battle with nature and the elements? A battle you really can't win.

Sadly, watching this film made me think of Stallone running about the mountains in his t-shirt in Cliffhanger (1993). One of my favourite action films, the idea is just laughable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg e4066826916283.5635e1093026d.jpg (99.0 KB, 3 views)
Old 13th March 2016, 11:43 AM
Cult Addict

BASEMENT JACK.

Slasher/psycho killer fun with Lynn Lowry torturing babies and blowing a man dressed as a chicken! Do you need to know any more?
Old 13th March 2016, 11:59 AM
Cult Veteran

Contamination (1980)

I watched Contamination last night, I took it to CEX this morning It has come to my attention that Luigi Cozzi cannot make movies... On the upside, the trade in amount is more than what I paid for it, going to get The Martian or Straight Outta Compton with the voucher, not decided yet!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 13th March 2016, 12:00 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Everest (2015)
Sadly, watching this film made me think of Stallone running about the mountains in his t-shirt in Cliffhanger (1993). One of my favourite action films, the idea is just laughable.
Why 'sadly' Dem?
Old 13th March 2016, 12:15 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Why 'sadly' Dem?
Did it ruin Cliffhanger for you?
Old 13th March 2016, 12:28 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Why 'sadly' Dem?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Did it ruin Cliffhanger for you?
Not so much ruin it as show it up to be more outlandish than even i thought it was. I still think it's a great action film and a lot of fun though.

Films like Vertical Limit never garnered the same reaction in me towards Cliffhanger at all.
keirarts likes this.
Old 13th March 2016, 12:29 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Contamination (1980)

I watched Contamination last night, I took it to CEX this morning It has come to my attention that Luigi Cozzi cannot make movies... On the upside, the trade in amount is more than what I paid for it, going to get The Martian or Straight Outta Compton with the voucher, not decided yet!
Hoorah! At least two of us on here agree that Contamination is boring twaddle.
Justin101 and keirarts like this.
Old 13th March 2016, 03:06 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Detention (2011)

As a copycat killer named after movie villain Cinderhella, stalks the student body at Grizzly Lake High School, a group of co-eds band together to survive while serving detention.

Sounds fairly formulaic. It isn't. Not by any stretch of the imagination. Take the plot of Scream 2, add some of Steven Moffatt's weirdest timey-wimey bollocks from Doctor Who and more satire than i think i've ever encountered in a film previously and you have Detention.

It really doesn't stop there. Add in dashes of Clueless, Heathers, Mean Girls, and a great big spoonful of The Breakfast Club topped off with a sprinkling of Saw II. and you might start to come close.

The film is probably the fastest paced bit of celluloid i can recall seeing. jokes, gags and movie references fly at you so thick and fast it's impossible to catch them all in one sitting. It feels impossible to laugh or dwell on each moment of humour as you'll wan't to keep up.

It's not all wonderful though. At times it felt only a Wayans brother or an appearance from Carmen Electra away from the much derided Scary Movie series, and i did feel that come the forty minute mark the film started to feel the weight of it's references and should have replaced it's wannabe cool 90's schtick for some actual story development. When the story does kick off in the second half it becomes incomprehensible, ala the worst excesses of the aforementioned Moffatt era Doctor Who.

The film has a brilliant young cast, none of whom i was familiar with except Dane Cook's principal. I'd just seen him playing a similarly smarmy role in another comedy - My Best friend's Girl.

Detention won't be to everyone's tastes, but anyone with an unhealthy interest in Steven Seagal's fighting techniques and general movie geek insanity could do worse than checking it out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg detention.jpg (106.7 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 13th March 2016 at 03:47 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!