All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th June 2016, 09:07 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
Mmm, it certainly loses out to 'Martyrs' and 'Inside' dramatically, or simply in terms of well realised visceral horror. Thinking about it though, I wish more horrors of 'Frontiere(s)'' stature would take on political issues as directly - 'Frontiere(s)' fumbled it by being a bit too close to events that demand better treatment, but at least the intent was there (unless it was all about opportunism). But, like you, don't think I'll be going for a revisit in the near future.
Martyrs i think got a bit dull and boring and last rape scene got bit dull amd repetative and drawn out.
Inside might as well be based of a true story, because it has happened, truly a fantastic and amazing film.
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 17th June 2016, 11:24 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Headhunter (1988)

Startlingly average vehicle for Kay Lenz, here playing a cop, following the previous years startlingly average vehicle for Kay Lenz, Stripped to Kill, in which she plays a cop playing a stripper.

The story about a demonic spirit summoned by voodoo wreaking havoc among Miami's Nigerian community could have been so much more than the half arsed mess we see on screen. Unfortunately the film focuses less on Lenz and the investigation into weird occult murder and more on the terribly bland Wayne Crawford, as Lenz's cop partner, and his family break up.

The film is livened up by one or two sequences of impressive knife wound gore and some fine Miami location driving footage but it's all far too sporadic to salvage the banalities the rest of this rental shop stalwart forces on us.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HeadHunter-.jpg (104.6 KB, 4 views)
Old 17th June 2016, 11:59 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

A great poster though. I would have picked that up from my local video rental store on the cover alone.
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 17th June 2016, 12:08 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
A great poster though. I would have picked that up from my local video rental store on the cover alone.
Yes it was, and i did, i just didn't remember it. However that's not surprising as there's nothing to remember really. The print was nice enough, good enough for a Scorpion release under their Nightmare Theatre banner.

You never see the creature until the last seconds of the film.

It was part of a cheapo set of 12 films i bought for a couple of quid to watch during the Euro's to save me dipping into my main 'new to me' horrors during the week. Two of the 12 i already have but the other ten all sound okay and so far, at least this and Drive-In have nice prints.
Old 17th June 2016, 12:16 PM
Cult Veteran

I watched Blood Bath last night, I didn't know which version to watch first but I opted for the most known version, the one actually called Blood Bath. Since I've not seen any of the 4 versions before and I didn't even know what it was about I was going in completely blind. Apart from the vampire aspect of the story which didn't really make much sense I really enjoyed it, especially the whole sub-plot with 'The Artist Max'.

I'm either going to watch the Tim Lucas documentary about the production history of the 4 version or I'll watch 'Portrait in Terror' which is one of the other versions and I think it uses a different plot device to the vampire of Blood Bath.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 17th June 2016, 02:58 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Bone Tomahawk

...a slow burning and tense film leading up to a brutal and terrifying climax. 9.1/10
YES -- the last 20 minutes or so rank among the scariest ever, IMO.
keirarts, trebor8273 and iank like this.
Old 17th June 2016, 09:08 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Thing (2011)

prequel to the 1982 classic. here we find out what happened to the norwegian camp who discovered the alien remains. plays out a lot like the 82 film with the story nearly the same with a lot of scenes slightly changed, its not that bad with some interesting monster designs and the music is very close to carpenter's original score the biggest problem is the excessive use of CGI and poor CGI at that i would of rated the film higher if they had used practical effects as it shares the atmosphere of the 82 film and you can see the makers of this film really like the 82 film and are paying there respects to it. if it had used practical effects i might of given it and 7.5-8.but because of that its a 6.3/10

now watching the changeling, it might be slow burning but its atmospheric and absolutely terrifying. think i might sleep with the lights on tonight

probably end the night with the devonsville terror
Old 17th June 2016, 09:11 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
The Thing (2011)

prequel to the 1982 classic. here we find out what happened to the norwegian camp who discovered the alien remains. plays out a lot like the 82 film with the story nearly the same with a lot of scenes slightly changed, its not that bad with some interesting monster designs and the music is very close to carpenter's original score the biggest problem is the excessive use of CGI and poor CGI at that i would of rated the film higher if they had used practical effects as it shares the atmosphere of the 82 film and you can see the makers of this film really like the 82 film and are paying there respects to it. if it had used practical effects i might of given it and 7.5-8.but because of that its a 6.3/10

now watching the changeling, it might be slow burning but its atmospheric and absolutely terrifying. think i might sleep with the lights on tonight

probably end the night with the devonsville terror
The Changeling is feckin brilliant. And long overdue a decent blu.
Old 18th June 2016, 07:05 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I havent watched it, but im sure it would interest to someone.

Watch 30 minutes of Jerry Lewis’ lost film ‘The Day The Clown Cried’ | Consequence of Sound
keirarts likes this.

Last edited by gag; 18th June 2016 at 10:46 AM.
Old 18th June 2016, 09:53 AM
Cult Addict

Honeymoon, 2014. Leigh Janiak.

Young newlyweds Bea and Paul head to a semi-remote lakehouse for their honeymoon. When Paul gets up for a drink in the middle of the night he returns to bed to find Bea missing. Finding the door open he heads out into the woods and finds her stood naked amidst the trees a few hundred yards away from the house. Carrying her back he presumes she has been sleepwalking until she gradually starts exhibiting strange behaviour. Next he finds strange marks on her thighs and before long strange lights start appearing in the windows and i shall say no more other than this low budget little horror is well worth checking out. Carried more by the performances of its small cast than anything else both Rose Leslie (Game of Thrones) and Harry Treadaway (Fortitude) play the young lovers well and its the charisma and chemistry that make this work and draw you in.

Like this? Share it using the links below!