Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179658Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th June 2016, 05:59 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Great analysis of Frontiere(s) there, Frankie.

It's certainly one of the more 'forgettable' entries in the French Extreme New Wave Horror cycle of that period and not one I feel myself compelled to revisit any time soon.
Mmm, it certainly loses out to 'Martyrs' and 'Inside' dramatically, or simply in terms of well realised visceral horror. Thinking about it though, I wish more horrors of 'Frontiere(s)'' stature would take on political issues as directly - 'Frontiere(s)' fumbled it by being a bit too close to events that demand better treatment, but at least the intent was there (unless it was all about opportunism). But, like you, don't think I'll be going for a revisit in the near future.
Old 15th June 2016, 06:06 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
Mmm, it certainly loses out to 'Martyrs' and 'Inside' dramatically, or simply in terms of well realised visceral horror. Thinking about it though, I wish more horrors of 'Frontiere(s)'' stature would take on political issues as directly - 'Frontiere(s)' fumbled it by being a bit too close to events that demand better treatment, but at least the intent was there (unless it was all about opportunism). But, like you, don't think I'll be going for a revisit in the near future.
Martyrs is my favourite of the 'New French Extremism' movement, probably followed by Ils (Them), Inside and Switchblade Romance in that order.
keirarts and Frankie Teardrop like this.
Old 15th June 2016, 06:18 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Martyrs is my favourite of the 'New French Extremism' movement, probably followed by Ils (Them), Inside and Switchblade Romance in that order.
All good films. 'Inside' and 'Martyrs' will always be hard hitters to some extent, but latterly I prefer the more insidious likes of 'Ils'.
Old 15th June 2016, 07:54 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Elviria Mistress of the Dark

After quitting her job after one to many sexual advances from her boss, Elvira finds out that her great aunt has died and she is in the will. Elviria sets off to the reading of the will expecting money that she can use to put on her las vegas show, arriving at her aunts town most of the towns stuck up and bigoted members dont take too kindly to elviria and want her out of the town as quickly as possible.

expecting money she is disappointed to find she has inherited a run downhouse, a poodle and her aunts "cookbook", which her great uncle is extremely interested in, its not long before we discover that her aunt was a powerful which and the cookbook is her spellbook which brother has been trying to get for years, with the passing of Elviris's aunt he sees his chance to get the book and bring darkness to the world, its up to Elviria and her poodle to stop him. Lots of familiar faces including the actor playing the uncle who you will know from his very distinctive voice 6.2/10

Elviria's haunted hills

set in the late 1800s Elviria and her maid are on their way to paris, when they end up at a creepy castle in the mountains. its not long before she finds out that she is the spitting image of the late mistress of the castle, who like all female members of the household before her died in mysterious circumstances. the movie is a parody/salute to the classic Corman/Poe movies of the sixties, down to the opening titles and the film poster which is a very similar to the pit and the pendulum poster. not as good as the first and most of the jokes fall flat, but still some fun to be had with Elvira's maid stealing a lot of scenes from the main star. 5.3/10

Now watching Bone tomahawk which from what i've seen will be between a 8-9.5 . Think i might end the night with some more Kurt Russell with Escape from New York .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p11138_p_v8_aa.jpg (95.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 15d44dd1aa4dbf3e2276d7d9f92dd0ee.jpg (98.8 KB, 2 views)
Old 15th June 2016, 08:00 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Chiller (1985)

Tv movie directed by Wes Craven in which a wealthy business man dies but is cryogenically frozen and revived ten years later .

I'm sure there were reasons for this but i soon lost the will to live as boredom set in within about ten minutes in a story which was all talk and no horror. One of those times when reading the alcohol content on the bottle of beer i was drinking was of greater interest.

There was chat the other day regarding which was Craven's worst film. It's this, no question!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg affiche-terreur-froide-chiller-1985-1.jpg (95.0 KB, 3 views)
Old 15th June 2016, 08:09 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Chiller (1985)

Tv movie directed by Wes Craven in which a wealthy business man dies but is cryogenically frozen and revived ten years later .

I'm sure there were reasons for this but i soon lost the will to live as boredom set in within about ten minutes in a story which was all talk and no horror. One of those times when reading the alcohol content on the bottle of beer i was drinking was of greater interest.

There was chat the other day regarding which was Craven's worst film. It's this, no question!
Its been at least 25 years but i remember enjoying Chiller Dem. Michael Beck isn't it?
keirarts and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 15th June 2016, 08:45 PM
Cult Addict

DEADPOOL

The impossibly beautiful Morena Baccarin takes Green Lantern up the dirt box....and some cartoony shit happens.
Old 15th June 2016, 08:50 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
DEADPOOL

The impossibly beautiful Morena Baccarin takes Green Lantern up the dirt box....and some cartoony shit happens.
Mr Slowly Sir, that is what i call a review. Barry Norman eat yer heart out.
Old 16th June 2016, 07:59 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Bone Tomahawk

Fantastic just as good as everyone has been saying. after some people are killed and a woman is kidnapped. the towns sheriff and some members of the town including the womans husband set out to rescue her from a Indian tribe called troglodytes. a slow burning and tense film leading up to a brutal and terrifying climax. 9.1/10

Escape From New York

More Kurt Russell this time in one of his most famous roles as the iconic Snake Plissken who is sent to new york to retrieve the president of the united states whos plane has crashed in New York which is now a walled prison which is controlled by various brutal gangs. a non stop rollercoaster ride of a film which includes lots of great characters and stars such as Lee Van Cleef, Ernest Borgnine, Harry Dean Stanton, Isaac Hayes and Donald Pleasence. but the real star is Russell as Plissken. 8.2/10

was going to watch another Russel movie in the form of the thing, but went for the prequel which i've only seen once and cant remember much about
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bone_tomahawk_ver8_xlg.jpg (99.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg escape.jpg (99.8 KB, 6 views)
Old 16th June 2016, 08:25 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

"Little Monsters" with the kids on Netflix.

Pish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Demoncrat and keirarts like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!