Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179652Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th August 2016, 07:32 AM
Seasoned Cultist

The Black Dahlia is one of my favourite books, De Palma one of my favourite directors. I didn't think much of the released film at all. There are pacing problems, obviously the result of cutting around 60 minutes of material. De Palma's original cut ran an hour longer and allegedly fleshed out the characters more, Bucky especially.

Ellroy watched the original cut and loved it, apparently it's like a totally different film. The released edit, not so much.

There is still much to enjoy, but it just doesn't hang together well. Hopefully, one day, we get a restored release.
Old 18th August 2016, 08:34 AM
Cult Acolyte

Saw The Shallows at the cinema today. A young female surfer is terrorised and stalked by a killer shark in an isolated beach miles from civilisation in this passable if fairly unremarkable thriller. Watchable but nothing special.
There were three trailers at the start of the film, one for a thriller that looked passable (The Girl on the Train) and two for "comedies" (and I use the word advisedly), one called Why Him? with James Franco and Bryan Cranston and one with Isla Fisher and nooneelseievenremotelyrecognise. Both looked absolutely awful, truly ghastly and painful just to watch the "humour" in the trailers. Dear God, spare me.
Old 18th August 2016, 08:51 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

I watched Purple Rain last night. I've never seen it before, I've never really been interested in Prince before apart from the Batman soundtrack but I'm happy to report I had a blast watching it.

I mean let's get this straight, it's a terrible film I've never seen 'acting' like it outside of Italy in the 80's and the leads, Prince and Apollonia, have a terrible chemistry together, watching them kiss on screen was akin to a pair of dead trout smooching. However, something about the film works - it's really fun and all of the club scenes are excellent, especially those with Morris Day and The Time (now I get that bit in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back...) but the story is pants! The whole strand about the parents being in an absuive relationship seemed at odds with the rest of the story, which was Apollonia wanting to make it big and going with Prince's rival Morris.

Anyway, i don't think there is a better representation of the 1984 dance scene than this film, recommended!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 18th August 2016, 09:02 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
Saw The Shallows at the cinema today. A young female surfer is terrorised and stalked by a killer shark in an isolated beach miles from civilisation in this passable if fairly unremarkable thriller. Watchable but nothing special.
There were three trailers at the start of the film, one for a thriller that looked passable (The Girl on the Train) and two for "comedies" (and I use the word advisedly), one called Why Him? with James Franco and Bryan Cranston and one with Isla Fisher and nooneelseievenremotelyrecognise. Both looked absolutely awful, truly ghastly and painful just to watch the "humour" in the trailers. Dear God, spare me.
Sorry im tickled by youre review
Stalked by a shark, trying to imagine a shark following her around.
Old 18th August 2016, 09:14 AM
Cult Acolyte

It's clearly got a thing for her.
Old 18th August 2016, 09:18 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I watched Purple Rain last night. I've never seen it before, I've never really been interested in Prince before apart from the Batman soundtrack but I'm happy to report I had a blast watching it.

I mean let's get this straight, it's a terrible film I've never seen 'acting' like it outside of Italy in the 80's and the leads, Prince and Apollonia, have a terrible chemistry together, watching them kiss on screen was akin to a pair of dead trout smooching. However, something about the film works - it's really fun and all of the club scenes are excellent, especially those with Morris Day and The Time (now I get that bit in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back...) but the story is pants! The whole strand about the parents being in an absuive relationship seemed at odds with the rest of the story, which was Apollonia wanting to make it big and going with Prince's rival Morris.

Anyway, i don't think there is a better representation of the 1984 dance scene than this film, recommended!
I feel exactly the same way.

I'm pretty certain that Kevin Smith is a huge Purple Rain fan as well.

Justin101, keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 18th August 2016, 09:22 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I feel exactly the same way.

I'm pretty certain that Kevin Smith is a huge Purple Rain fan as well.

I can't wait to watch Graffiti Bridge now either, just need to find a DVD of it somewhere.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 18th August 2016, 09:50 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenhooker View Post
The Black Dahlia is one of my favourite books, De Palma one of my favourite directors. I didn't think much of the released film at all. There are pacing problems, obviously the result of cutting around 60 minutes of material. De Palma's original cut ran an hour longer and allegedly fleshed out the characters more, Bucky especially.

Ellroy watched the original cut and loved it, apparently it's like a totally different film. The released edit, not so much.

There is still much to enjoy, but it just doesn't hang together well. Hopefully, one day, we get a restored release.
Yeah, I held off getting the blu-ray until recently in hope of a directors cut. I still like the butchered version well enough but it is a flawed movie certainly.
Old 18th August 2016, 09:52 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
It's clearly got a thing for her.
Me too. I shall be getting it.
Old 18th August 2016, 09:53 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I think you mean Big Bang Theory, not 3rd Rock.
Thanks, of course.

It's good to know at least one person reads the posts.
Justin101 and iank like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!