All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree180252Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th April 2017, 10:02 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

A couple from 88 Films' Slasher Classics Collection this evening: Return to Horror High and Hide and Go Shriek.

As is pointed out on the back of the box, the former predates Kevin Williamson's 'nod and a wink' take on the slasher genre with Wes Craven's Scream, a film which was keen to acknowledge it was following genre tropes with a mise en abyme, self reflective, approach. It is, by no stretch of the imagination, as shocking, exciting, or overtly bloody as Wes Craven's film, but it is an extremely enjoyable comedy-horror which benefits from repeated viewings. If you want completely sold, it features a young George Clooney and exploding prosthetic breasts!

There is a degree of audience acknowledgement on show in Skip Schoolnik's film as well, one which doesn't seem to seek out new ground and, like Sorority Babes in the Slimeball Ball-O-Rama (also 1988), is centred around a group of students in an empty place at night. Hide and Go Shriek follows the adventures and misadventures of eight high schoolers celebrating graduation in the furniture store owned by one of their fathers. Predictably enough, not everything goes to plan and, due to the hide and seek game referenced in the title, the teens spread out throughout the store, with gratuitous nudity and bloodshed resulting. This was a first viewing for me and I enjoyed it a great deal. Because of the ending, I will definitely give it a second viewing in the next seven days.
Old 9th April 2017, 10:22 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Thanks for that, Nos. I'll pick up Hide and Go Shriek on release. Whenever that might be.*

*I seem to be working on a week by week basis as far as new releases go at the moment. I can't decide about upgrading my 23rd Century dvd of 2019 to 88's new release. I really don't know if i like the film enough.
Old 9th April 2017, 10:35 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I can't decide about upgrading my 23rd Century dvd of 2019 to 88's new release. I really don't know if i like the film enough.
I know I've asked before Demsy, but will we ever see you upgrade to the far off land of blublay (as my six year old calls it)
Old 9th April 2017, 10:36 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Thanks for that, Nos. I'll pick up Hide and Go Shriek on release. Whenever that might be.*

*I seem to be working on a week by week basis as far as new releases go at the moment. I can't decide about upgrading my 23rd Century dvd of 2019 to 88's new release. I really don't know if i like the film enough.
Whilst it is certainly one of 23C's efforts ... I will probably pick up the Arrow disc.
Not as loony as Rats:NOT or New Barbarians but still ...
keirarts likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Last edited by Demoncrat; 10th April 2017 at 03:02 PM.
Old 9th April 2017, 10:40 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
I know I've asked before Demsy, but will we ever see you upgrade to the far off land of blublay (as my six year old calls it)
I've said all along i'll get one when this Cambridge player goes wrong but i'm not changing just for the sake of it.
Demoncrat, keirarts and J Harker like this.
Old 9th April 2017, 11:40 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Morgan (2016, Luke Scott)
Somewhat assured debut from Ridley jr. Whilst I felt that the middle could have been a smidgen more expansive ... this is a keeper. Thematically sideways from Ex Machina, this has an impressive (if underused imo) cast. Recommended!!

PS its got robots in it

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 10th April 2017, 07:40 AM
Cult Addict

weekends watches
Tetsuo: The Iron Man
In terms of body horror and cyberpunk, it's still one of my personal favourites. the plot centres around a salaryman being tormented by the metal fetishist (played by Tsukamoto himself) with him gradually becoming more metal than human. quite a few memorable moments. also drill penis

Tetsuo: Body Hammer
The sequel/remake of The Iron Man; this again is still a great film, salaryman gets shot in the chest and tortured by skinheads andn gradually begins to turn into a weapon when he gets angry, he then accidentally murders his son and then gets captured. again this is a very enjoyable film, however it feels lacking when compared to the previous film. less horror more action. also parts of the soundtrack seem off in comparison to the 1st.

Ghost in the Shell
I'll be honest I was apprehensive about this film. However after watching it in the cinema, I have to say that this is one of my favourite sci fi movies in recent years. great action scenes good visuals and of course takeshi kitano is in it. although i was more surprised that there were only 6 people watching this at the cinema.
Old 10th April 2017, 11:53 AM
Cult Veteran

A few from me. I've finished the House boxed set, The Horror Show was fun and not as bad as many people lead you to believe, House IV was garbage though - some cool bits, the rest was terrible though, felt like 2 stories bolted together.
Fright Night was as fun as it always is, that scene when Evil Ed had the crucifix burned onto his head and he cries a single vampire tear, that's one of my favourite horror film scenes, I love it. You're So Cool Bewster was a great documentary, I enjoyed it a lot more than that of similar films which have come out recently, it helped a lot by NOT being like 8 hrs long
Then Psychomania, new film for me and the second it started I knew it was going to be one of my new favourites. Weird British occult with a cool soundtrack! Beryl Reid holding the seance and speaking with a child's voice - so creepy!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 10th April 2017, 01:06 PM
Seasoned Cultist

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012)

Extended Edition.

**** out of *****

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 10th April 2017, 03:04 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Watched the first House movie, very good, made me go on a nostalgia trip, so watched some Looney Tunes, watching Fright Night and have got The Burbs ready to go. All I need now are the Gremlins films & The Monster Squad! Lol!

Like this? Share it using the links below!