Old 18th May 2020, 10:00 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasrope View Post
Has anyone seen

Heard a lot of good things about this one so I might impulse buy, I'm not a big War Movie fan but like Saving Private Ryan, thought Platoon was decent but found Apocalypse Now boring.

Are there plenty of battle scenes throughout or is it one of those walking and talking films with the odd battle scene occasionally?

Thank You
1917 is an intense film, beautifully paced and utterly compelling. It isn't shooting and explosions from beginning to end, nor is it at all dull. I thought it was one of the best films of last year. It's one I'm glad I saw at the cinema and want to watch again at home.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 19th May 2020, 05:38 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Bond Street (1948)

A British portmanteau film based around a bride's dress, veil, pearls and flowers purchased in London's Bond Street.

Of the four stories the second (Pearls) is the standout. It stars Derek Farr, on the run after robbing a jewelery shop who holes up in the Bond Street apartment of sultry prostitute Jean Kent as the police close in. This is a great mini Noir feature, both Farr and Kent are excellent and the story drips with rancid forties sleaze.

The rest of the stories are all watchable especially The Veil which features Kenneth Griffith as a sordid blackmailing husband but it's The Pearls that i really took a shine to.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bond-street.jpg (97.6 KB, 2 views)
Old 19th May 2020, 07:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Sigourney Weaver and Cillian Murphy play a couple a scientists whom debunk psychic phenomenon, when the greatest psychic of all time Simon Silver ( Robert DeNiro)comes out of retirement , Murphy's character sets out to prove his a fraud against Sigourneys warnings. As the film goes on you don't know if Silver is the genuine article or very dangerous man and a fake. Not what I was expecting , was expecting a horror but this is a thriller, well acted from the leads and we even have the Scarlett Witch as Murphy's love interest. enjoyable but something I would only watch the once. 6/10

Now watching event horizon.

Last edited by trebor8273; 19th May 2020 at 07:33 PM.
Old 19th May 2020, 07:31 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Gorilla. 1939.

When a wealthy man is threatened by a killer known as " The Gorilla" he hires The Ritz Brothers to investigate while a real gorilla is let loose casing problems.

This was a mixture of thriller, horror and comedy from Ritz brothers and Patsy Kelly as the screaming maid with some decent one liners. Bela Lugosi stars as the butler Peters who never seems to be around when things happen that makes you think is he or isn't he the killer. Set withing a atmospheric house with secret rooms and things happen when the lights go out is a perfect way for spending 65 minutes.

MV5BYjk3YTA3MTUtOWE2NC00MzJhLThiOTItZDFmOWRhNjhlZTNmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjcxNjI4NTk@._V1_SY1000_CR0,.jpg
Old 19th May 2020, 08:59 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
1917 is an intense film, beautifully paced and utterly compelling. It isn't shooting and explosions from beginning to end, nor is it at all dull. I thought it was one of the best films of last year. It's one I'm glad I saw at the cinema and want to watch again at home.
Thanks
Old 19th May 2020, 09:23 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Default Rage Of Honor, Road House, Cover Up & Fight Valley

Rage Of Honor

As per the viewer above but I got the 101 Blu-Ray, which didn't have the proper screen ratio so that took me right out of it.

Road House

Patrick Swayze is the top Bouncer in The U.S. hired to clean up a Bar in Kansas that is constantly the source of fights. Whilst doing that, he unites the town against the man who is running a Protection Racket. Sam Elliott co-stars in this entertaining late 80's Action Film. Swayze does convince as a Tough Guy, much like Arnold Schwarzenegger in Comedy Movies.

Cover Up

Dolph Lundgren is an Ex-Marine turned Journalist who finds out that there is a cover up regarding the Murders of American Soldiers in Israel. Lou Gossett Jr. Co-Stars as a Military higher up.

Released by Guild in 1991, this is a weird one because this is not an all out Action Movie you'd think it would be considering Dolph Lundgren is in it and the look of the cover. Also I don't think this film had any buzz before it's Video Rental release, I think Guild but the trailer on the Trailer Reel of some of it's previous releases and hope that people see the cover and just rent it. It's a more methodical Thriller that isn't too bad, it definitely has an abrupt ending though.

One thing I've noticed, Film Distributors in the 80's - Mid 90's didn't mind if their films were 15's or 18's. They weren't bothered about making cuts to get a lower certificate.

Fight Valley

Modern day Fight film in which a woman tries to avenge the death of her Sister who died in a Fight. A bit of a throwback to the glory days of this genre even having real Fighters in the film (Miesha Tate & Chis Cyborg) the script and dialogue wasn't great (But they weren't in the older films either. Not great but isn't bad either.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg roh.jpg (15.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg rh.jpg (12.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg cu.jpg (15.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg fv.jpg (13.9 KB, 2 views)
Old 20th May 2020, 05:39 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The American (2010)

Excellent slow burning thriller which echoes Italian crime, seventies style, starring George Clooney as an assassin holed up in an Italian village trying to avoid a Swedish hit squad, whilst waiting for one last job, where he falls in love with a local prostitute.

A gorgeously filmed piece with lovely cinematography. Clooney shows he can play dark and brooding rather than his more usual light and frothy and you have real feelings for him and his relationship. The bursts of action come as sucker punches to the head rather than full blown set pieces and the film seems all the more realistic for it.

This movie is cool as f*ck! Highly recommended.
Old 20th May 2020, 06:59 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Beast From Haunted Cave. 1959.

A group of thieves pull of a heist and run into the snowy wilderness, during the escape they used dynamite in a cave for distraction and awakened something in the cave.

From the outset i thought this would be a slow and stop dragging on type of film, it's like seeing people trying to pull of a comedic heist in a horror film but when it went to the retreat the tone of the film changed to being comedy to horror. The acting isn't that great and the special effects for the spider creature are laughable but hey you go with what's in your budget and probably scarier to the audience back then, won't say it's a classic but enjoyable.

MV5BMTYwNTIxOTMxMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzQ3MDgxMDI@._V1_.jpg
Old 20th May 2020, 07:11 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The American (2010)

Excellent slow burning thriller which echoes Italian crime, seventies style, starring George Clooney as an assassin holed up in an Italian village trying to avoid a Swedish hit squad, whilst waiting for one last job, where he falls in love with a local prostitute.

A gorgeously filmed piece with lovely cinematography. Clooney shows he can play dark and brooding rather than his more usual light and frothy and you have real feelings for him and his relationship. The bursts of action come as sucker punches to the head rather than full blown set pieces and the film seems all the more realistic for it.

This movie is cool as f*ck! Highly recommended.

I’ve looked at this a few times on Netflix, but haven’t bothered to watch it yet, think I’ll give it a shot this week sometime
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 20th May 2020, 08:33 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Along with omen 3 and in the mouth of madness another great horror vehicle for Sam Neil . Here he plays a scientist whom commandeers a space craft and it's crew when lost ship the event horizon appears next to Neptune. When they arrive it doesn't take long to figure there is something seriously wrong with the ship as strange and disturbing things begin to happen. Creepy with a lot of familiar faces making up the crew. 8/10

Nick Nolte plays a police office whom after two cops are killed enlists the help of convict Eddie Murphy to hung down the killer. Your typical buddy movie helped by the two leads. The police captain is by far the best thing in the movie. 6.5/10

Now watching Robocop.

Like this? Share it using the links below!