All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179955Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd February 2010, 04:59 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42ndStreetFreak View Post
It was a strange contender for the 'Nasties' purely because the nastiest scene (which today is still pretty damn sadistic imho) where he kicks the stabbed woman to keep her twitching and moaning was censored on the pre-cert tape!
It was cut on the cinema too, together with the bed/knife scene. When I saw it on the flicks the cuts were very badly done and made the two scenes unwatchable.
Old 23rd February 2010, 05:13 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

It's about time they showed it again, they wouldn't make a fuss about it today. 20 years on it's looking quite mild.
Old 23rd February 2010, 10:14 PM
Active Cultist

"9" - Great animation but the story was weak and felt rushed.

Also watched "Red" - great little revenge thriller with Brian Cox and Robert Englund.
Old 23rd February 2010, 10:37 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by re.form View Post
"9" - Great animation but the story was weak and felt rushed.

Also watched "Red" - great little revenge thriller with Brian Cox and Robert Englund.
that's exactly what i thought about 9, great animation, bad plot
Old 24th February 2010, 12:28 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Wolfen

I think this is a superb and criminally under-rated film. I would go so far as to suggest it is one of the very best horror achievements of Hollywood during the late-70s/80s. A stylish, original, interesting, intelligent, humourous and rewarding film. Quite beautifully shot with excellent "WolfenVision" effect and steadicam swoops. A gem that I seem to appreciate more with each viewing. I rate it very highly.

The Hills Run Red

A pretty decent amalgamation of ideas from previous films stirred together to entertaining effect. Better than I thought it was going to be...it's not bad.
Old 24th February 2010, 12:46 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

william sadler's awesome in hills run red, i was also quite surprised by it, very entertaining and that babyface mask was just creepy...
Old 24th February 2010, 01:11 AM
Cultist in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
Wolfen ... I rate it very highly.
Yes, it's a great horror-thriller, with some nicely ambiguous supernatural scenes.
Highly atmospheric urban mystery (almost a science fictional werewolf movie!), some gory deaths, and a very fine cast.
Old 24th February 2010, 01:36 AM
Ex-member

Default 'What films have you seen recently?'‏

i saw wolfen at the cinema and on tv
its complete crap, boring, not what id call a horror
Old 24th February 2010, 10:28 AM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

I enjoyed Wolfen too (also saw it at the cinema back in the early 80's). Excellent photography and a typically strong Albert Finney performance.
Old 24th February 2010, 10:30 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Default The Crazies (1973)

Last night I watched George Romero's The Crazies for the first time. And I can sum it in three words, flawed but fun! I bought the Anchor Bay DVD release which just came out on Monday. I really like the front cover. Twas only £3.99.

If you don't know what it's about but I know you all do. A government "bio-weapon" (virus) accidentally leaks into a river which runs through the town of Evans City in Pittsburgh. Basically the virus causes people to go crazy and perform random acts of violence. The army are sent in on their usual rampage to quarantine the city. 2 fireman friends, one of their girlfriends, a father and his daughter decide to escape the town but continuously come under threat by the ever increasing army closing in.

Ok, I'll start with the film itself. I thoroughly enjoyed it, the acting was brilliant from all parts. Not one single character annoyed me and that's hard to come across to be honest. Was great to see a lot of Romero's regulars who seem to be playing similar parts as they did in Dawn of the Dead. Except of course for Richard Liberty (Doctor Logan from Day of the Dead) who played the ever worrying father from the fleeing group.
The first half hour or so I did find completely rushed, some of the editing diabolical and I couldn't quite catch up with what the hell was going on. Scene jumped to scene, dialogue jumping and crossing over other dialogue but eventually it settled down.
There was lots of shoot out's between The Crazies and the army, lot's of squibs used to good effect. A pitchfork was put into good use too. The violence wasn't too extreme but well executed. Had good moments ie. heads exploding and a very impressive exit wound in a guys head which spewed blood. Neat stuff! All in all thoroughly enjoyable. Oh and I didn't expect the incest scene, nice touch George!

Picture quality was surprisingly colourful, I was watching it on my PS3 which upscales DVD's and on a 1080p TV. The colours popped out nicely, especially in the scenes filmed outside in the fields and woods. Would be intrigued to see the Blu-Ray but don't know if I'm really that fussed enough to fork out for it. Some of the dark scenes were a little too dark so you couldn't quite catch any background scenery (would hate to see it on VHS now) but all in all the viewing was good. At least I knew what was going on to say the least.

As for the audio well that was quite disappointing, the first 10 minutes or so in every few seconds all I could hear were what seemed to be the noise of a car driving through puddles. It was continuous and at times over powered what people were saying, this along with overly fast editing shooting from shot to shot it did get a little confusing.
It was also hard to hear what anyone was saying underneath their gasmasks so people were shouting and replying to soldiers even though you couldn't hear what they just said. Some of the audio was a little up and down too, went quiet then loud in the same shot. I'd hope that's all cleared up for the Blu-Ray release.

Anyway rambled on too much now so film gets 4 out of 5, DVD get's 3 out of 5. As for special features there's only your standard TV spots, picture gallery, biography etc and a 15 minute interview with Lynn Lowry.

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html

Like this? Share it using the links below!