Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179676Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th January 2021, 07:01 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Crash. 1996.

James Ballard, a T.V. Director is involved in a car crash, and is introduced to a sub underground culture of car crashes made famous by Vaughn who wants to re-create crashes made by celebrities, Ballard and his wife find a raw passion for their sex life with others around them.

After reading the book several years ago and enjoyed, was interesting to see how David Cronenberg would make it I thought it be a piece of good work...Cronenberg seemed to studied the book and brought it to screen amazingly. It may not be for everyone even Angie had a few choice of words but did say Cronenberg does have a weird imagination from horror to this. It's a dark, psychological thriller of what makes people tick and seeing crashes as a piece of art.

Elias Koteas who plays Vaughn is brilliant as he seems to study car crashes and victims and sees how they suffer and recover from their injuries and going into depth detail on how the famous were in car crashes and attempts to re-enact their crashes and demise. James Spader and Deborah Kara Unger play the happily married open relationship couple drawn into the world of crashes Holly Hunter and Rosanna Arquette also star who seem to draw everyone in to their lives.

p18063_p_v10_ab.jpg
Old 30th January 2021, 07:44 PM
Cult Acolyte

the-fall-of-the-house-of-usher-1950-gwen-watford-full-movie.jpg
THE FALL OF THE HOUSE OF USHER (1950)

British movie adaptation lost in the shadow of Roger Corman's 1960 version.
A quite atmospheric film. The house really is a dark old house with gloomy corridors, candles and creaking doors. There is even a torture chamber in an old temple in the woods. The black and white and the music score adding to the feel of a sense of dread.
Creepy good.
Old 30th January 2021, 09:29 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Leon. 1994.

12 year old Mathilda is taken in by neighbour Leon after her family is gun down by corrupt D.E.A. agent and his team. Learning Leon is a hitman, Leon reluctantly teaches Mathilda the tricks of the trade and form a unusual bond.

Natalie Portman in her debut yet most people say controversial role as 12 year old Mathilda who seems to know how the mature mind works and can try to be a seductress yet emotional at the same time. Jean Reno gives out the quiet neighbour type of guy who won't say boo to anyone yet give him a gun and all hell breaks looks, from the start he is reluctant and tries to pass off Mathilda yet he sees her as a daughter he never had. Gary Oldman stands out as the D.E.A agent Norman Stansfield who stands out as a sadistic person who doesn't care who is in the cross fire as long as he comes out winning.

The director's cut shows more interaction between the two main characters that can be uncomfortable to watch yet you can't turn away, always the last 15-20 minutes is always the great part with Stansfield ordering 200 men to take out one guy and the finale face to face.

40f94efde38e5dca1d92fe7b3e3279bd.jpg
Old 30th January 2021, 10:46 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Two Thousand Maniacs. 1964.

Six people are lured to a small town where the residents plan to kill them.

A nice little number of a film (Pun Intended )and for a mid 60s film it isn't that bad at all, the acting and the accents can be a bit laughable as the townsfolk try to put on a southern accent. With it being 60s film we are shown before the killings and the result but decently effecting make up effects, the killings seem original but the victims don't die quietly though.

2000maniacs1.jpg
Old 31st January 2021, 12:41 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Cthulhu Mansion (1992, JP Simon)

Lovecraftish from the man who brought us Pieces?
Sadly tis a bit damp, even with the Frank Finlay at the front and centre of it all. A Melanie Shatner also appears, wonder whose bairn she could be COUGH?
Avoid.

Steelmanville Road (2017, Nigel Bach)

Ever inherited anything? Did it end well? FF.
A young couple land on their feet when they acquire a bleedin' mansion (not quite haha) through serendipity. Strange stuff starts to happen. If it hadn't been for the sassy medium, I might have turned this one off, as it brought nowt new to the table. Apparently the prequel to something called Bad Ben? I'm sure I've seen that cough. Tbh the last decent one was Savageland (recommended), so I may give the shakycam a rest for a while.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 31st January 2021, 11:09 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Massacre In Dinosaur Valley

After a Plane crashes in The Amazon Jungle, a group of survivors must navigate the treacherous jungle whilst avoiding Cannibals and Slave Owners. You can't really classify this as a Cannibal Movie but I found it rather entertaining.

Dirty Sanchez: The Movie

The Jackass crew have some sense of style for what they do, these guys go for the most insane and grossest stunts imaginable. These guys are complete nutters. (Did Pritchard actually intentionally cut off part of his finger?) However even though they have done one of the grossest things I've ever scene (Believe me, there were a lot of turning heads and groans in the Cinema screen) there were some really funny moments especially the Paintball scene where Pritchard is so excited to be in the Guinness Book Of Records only to find out there is no such record and the reactions of the loser of a bet in Thailand along with the celebrations of the winners.

The Inbetweeners Movie

The lads go to Greece after finishing school only for their best laid plans to go wrong. I actually saw this before seeing the TV show and it's very funny and well worth a watch if you haven't seen the TV show.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg midv.jpg (17.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg dstm.jpg (16.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg im.jpg (14.4 KB, 4 views)
Old 31st January 2021, 12:42 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Game Of Death .... one of the Exploitation masterclasses tbh.
We've got some footage ... but not enough .... so we'll eke it out with padding.
What's annoying about Game of Death is that 39 minutes of good, originally shot footage actually existed. It's on certain dvds and blu-rays as a bonus feature.

The idiots responsible for the film used less than half of it. You would have thought they would have wanted to use as much Bruce Lee footage as possible. Not sure what they were thinking?

Having seen the disastrous final end product (it really is a terrible movie imo), I now just choose to watch the 39 minute bonus feature as a stand-a-lone, ignoring the film itself. It's much more impressive.
Old 31st January 2021, 02:57 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Black Widow (1987)

Disappointing neo-noir thriller in which Justice agent Debra Winger pursues Theresa Russell whom she suspects of marrying then murdering wealthy men.

I was expecting this to be a steamier affair, especially with Russell as a manipulative man eater, but it was quite tame especially when you take into account both the premise of this movie other neo noirs of the period such as Body Heat, Sea of Love and Fatal Attraction.

As it is Black Widow is a slickly directed film that gives the game away far too early and is short on suspense. Nice twist at the end though!
Old 31st January 2021, 03:25 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Escape from Alcatraz (1979)

One of the seventies most potent film making duo's, director Don Siegel and star Clint Eastwood, come together for a final time in this tough and compelling account of the only successful escape from San Francisco's notorious island prison.

Despite me seeing this countless times over the years it has me enthralled each and every time. Siegel's direction is top notch with a surgeons attention to detail and Eastwood is perfect for the role of successful escapee Frank Morris. Patrick McGoohan has a scene stealing support turn as the prison warden too, but it's not just the stars who make this so memorable.

The film's secondary characters are fully rounded and brilliantly realised. From the super cool 'English' (Paul Benjamin) to the tragic 'Doc' (Roberts Blossom) - who's hatchet to the fingers scene has haunted me since childhood.

I think this is one of the best movies of the 70's and the best prison movie to date. A gripper from first to last!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 466272-1020-a.jpg (73.5 KB, 5 views)
Old 31st January 2021, 06:24 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A young brother and sister accidentally resurrected a evil alien overlord , whom wants to take over the world, with a gem they find they can control the alien whom the sister calls psycho goreman, while the brother is slightly annoying the sister is a complete nut job whom use psycho for her childish whims , going so far as too having the boy she's interested in turned into a giant brain and her slave. Not long after a warrior is sent from space to hunt down and kill psycho and she seems that she could be even worse than he is. Slowly psycho becomes part of this screwed up family . Very gory and quite funny with a very 80s bmovie feel and great use of particle effects from that era. It's like a screwed up and gory version of Harry and the Henderson's. 8/10

A group of 20 something's after a car accident are stranded in the West Virginia woods and some become prey too a group of inbred hillbilly cannibals is their any other kind? Most of the cast are annoying apart from the medical student and Eliza Dushku. Eliza Dushku tied too a bed what's not to like. 7/10

What a cast a love letter to the action movies of the 80s and 90s. Forget the story just sit back and enjoy the action and shit blowen up. People might complain about the acting but I would say watch the scene with Mickey Rourke taking too Sly about the woman he didn't save. What a fantastic cast. 9/10

Now watching wrong turn 2.

Last edited by trebor8273; 31st January 2021 at 06:50 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!