All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179956Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th April 2021, 09:04 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Ouija: Origin Of Evil. 2016.

1960s Los Angeles, a widowed mother and her two daughters introduce a Ouija Board to their seance scam and awaken a dark force.

Not very often me and Angie agree on films but both of us agree this was alot better than the previous film. There is more suspense and tension built in to the movie and decent jump scares added in and a decent back story explained about the history of the house. Was good to see Henry Thomas step up and appear in another horror film.

Attachment 232807
With Ouija, I completely agree with you, nothing fundamentally wrong, it was just too dull for seasoned Horror fans. However I believe that if this was somebody's 1st Horror Film, then I believe that they would probably enjoy it.

I'm sure that anybody that just turned 15 and this was at the Cinema, then I can believe that they would absolutely lap it up.

Regarding Origin Of Evil, I was going to watch it but I didn't bother because of the original.

I may give this one a shot now.
nosferatu42, iank and MrBarlow like this.
Old 26th April 2021, 09:07 PM
Cult Acolyte

It's Mike Flanagan. Of course it's better than the original!
Old 26th April 2021, 09:16 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Escape To Victory

Prisoners at a German P.O.W Camp including Sylvester Stallone, Michael Caine and Pele play a German Football team in which they plot to escape. Not a bad way to spend a couple of hours.

Next Karate Kid

Mr. Miyagi takes troubled teen (Hillary Swank) under his wing. But she and her potential boyfriend fall four of Michael Ironside and his prized students. For a spin off, this isn't all that bad, with the Monks dancing to The Cranberries "Dreams" and playing Bowling being highlights, however the finale was a damp squid.

I did think the Hawk was going to cop it though.

Vipco: Untold Story

Documentary on the rise and fall of the beloved/notorious label. At 2 hours, it went through a lot with the key points of the failure being the dodgy picture quality of the DVD's, lack of extras an the price tag.

I was hugely anticipating this and whilst it didn't live up to my hype, I wasn't disappointed, I'll have to watch it again for a more balanced opinion.

I may even watch Spookies one day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg etv.jpg (12.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg nkk.jpg (14.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg vus.jpg (11.5 KB, 2 views)
Old 26th April 2021, 10:22 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
It's Mike Flanagan. Of course it's better than the original!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yeah-what-he-said.jpg (26.2 KB, 39 views)
iank likes this.
Old 27th April 2021, 07:45 AM
Cult Acolyte

The Party's Just Beginning. A young woman spirals into depression and self-destructive behaviour in the year following the suicide of her best friend. Karen Gillan stars in, writes and directs this downbeat 2018 drama that's very well acted and made, and quite compelling in its way, but not exactly a barrel of laughs you'd put on to cheer yourself up.
Old 27th April 2021, 09:10 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The few I've perused recently then ...

Don't Panic (1988, Ruben Galindor Jr)

Really liked this homage to Freddy and what not. Will revisit.

The Phoenix Incident (2015, 2015, Keith Arem)

FF based around "the Phoenix Lights" phenomena, more in tone with Savageland, this was decent enough.

Demons 3: The Ogre (1988, Lamberto Bava)

Enjoyable romp. You want glimmers of decent imagery? Want a piecemeal yet threadbare plot? Sign right up then!

Blood Delirium (1988, Sergio Bergonzelli)

You want-a tortured artist? You want him played by the angel from Barbarella? Gordon Mitchell as his Igor? You want him to find his reincarnated muse in the form of a dizzy pianist? Ahem. Bonkers and in the best way.

The Undertaker (1988, Frank Avianca)

Spinell's last stand. Townsfolk get a tad concerned when the bodies start piling up. Could our soft spoken coroner have anything to do with it?

The Video Dead (1987, Robert Scott)

A new home brings its own problems. Usually the undead are not amongst them. Oh, well ... Still as daft as AF and a wee bit more grisly than I remembered.

Open House (1987, Jag Mundhra)

Odd Canadian thing. Someone is targetting real estate agents , no really. The cops are clueless, but could an irate caller on a radio talk show hold the key? Adrienne Barbeau turns up in this one, which was a pleasant surprise indeed.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Last edited by Demoncrat; 27th April 2021 at 11:59 AM.
Old 27th April 2021, 05:12 PM
Active Cultist

IFC Midnight it's a distributor for indie horror movies.

Dementia it's a mix between Misery and revenge thriller - good acting, some stuff was predictable but it's enjoyable.

Recommend.
Old 27th April 2021, 05:45 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

An enjoyable nightmare on elm street style rip off, the films starts with 17 year old Michaels birthday and his friends using a
Ouija board the film then turns into a John Hughes teen romance for the next 30 minutes or so then turns back into a horror when a number disappearances and murders take place, Michaels eye glow red and he has visions of these killings,this and being seen at the murder scenes make him prime suspesct. Enjoyable and daft but the strangest and most terrifying thing is a 17 year old man running around in a pair childs PJs with dinosaurs on them which no one seems too bat an eyelid too.

Up one of these if I can decide

Edit

Went with The Furies as seems the easier watch.

Last edited by trebor8273; 27th April 2021 at 06:04 PM.
Old 27th April 2021, 06:04 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

. 1987.

A group of stage actors in a small theatre rehearsing for the main show that's due to be shown within a week are being stalked and killed by a psychopath who has escaped from a mental institute.

This one I didn't seem to enjoy that much when in first saw it, now for me it's decent work of art from Michele Soavi who not only directed it but gave himself a small role as a detective. Giovanni Lombardo Radice makes a appearance not as a hard man but as a talented actor and dancer for the show. David Brandon plays the director who wants everything done precisely and accurately and Barbara Cupisti as the lead actress who done a decent job as the leading lady. Either this has been a heavily edited film or George Eastman (Lew Cooper) is taking a break from his hard-core writing, either way it's still a good movie.

stage_fright_by_slippery_jack-d49er5r.jpg
Old 27th April 2021, 06:46 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I always felt Soavi made the film he wanted with Stagefright tbh. It's just a a bit daft in places, and that's half the reason I love it really ....

Continuing the catch up ....

The Kaos Brief (2017, JP Madarino)

FF. A somewhat flighty young man, his sister and their respective partners go camping. (The doors are bolted btw ). Sliiiightly unusual if only for characters you don't see in this genre that often ahem. That said, some elements are open to ridicule tbh, though others are effective enough.

Commando Mengele (1987, Andreas Bianchi)

Howard and Jack and Antonio and Chris Mitchum and Fernando Rey?
A crack team hunt down an infamous foe in sunny South America. Rey shouts on the phone. Vernon doesn't appear to open his mouth for the duration. Taylor sports a moustache. Chris sports the latest line in terrorist chic. An odd one. Some fun here, even if the plotting is a tad slapdash in places.

Project Nightmare (1987, Donald M. Jones)

Feeling more like a 70s flick, two dudes are stranded and try and make sense of their surroundings. They meet a helpful woman and a dying man, but it's not until they are separated that the true nature of their environment is revealed. Decent enough if a bit heavy handed. Worth a look.

Star Crystal (1986, Lance Lindsay)

SF caper. Model work awwww, third tier at that
Ahem. Boil in the bag shenanigans ensue when a creature spawns from a "sample" onboard a shuttle craft, causing the crew some discomfort etc etc. Gorier than some efforts I've seen, though that's no recommendation ahem.

Future Kill (1985, Ronald W. Moore)

Always remembered the box for this one aka Night Of The Alien.
TCM reunion with Ed Neal and Marilyn Burns (no shared scenes boo!) ... calm down .... oddity as it welds the "fratboy" genre to something that lurks in Death Wish III's universe .
Straying into the wrong territory for a dare, some entitled folks get to see how the other half live. Not as Mike Leigh as I'm making it sound

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Last edited by Demoncrat; 27th April 2021 at 07:25 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!